1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The School Year!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bisexualkpopfan, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Hello guys! Hope you are all doing well :slight_smile:

So, I know the school year has started for some of us (like me) or is about to start soon. I'm just wondering how confident/happy are you about this new school year, what grade are you in, and what classes are you taking? And what are you looking the most (and least) forward to in the year?

I'm in 12th grade and I'm taking English 3, English 4 (didn't take English last year), Advanced Math, Fine Arts, Spanish 2, and Environmental Science! I was sort of scared about the new year, but now I'm feeling better as I'm completing my work! I'm worried about math (I haven't started it yet because my teacher still hasn't uploaded online yet), but of course, I will go to the tutoring if I struggle with it! I'm looking most forward to making mostly As this year, as well as joining a club and maybe making some friends there (or at the tutoring)! The last thing I'm looking forward to is retaking the ACT because I don't know how I will do - But I want better than a 20 which is what I got last year >< Luckily, I got an ACT book, so hopefully it helps!

Now, what are your thoughts on the school year? :slight_smile:

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck with the ACT and classes!

I'm starting my senior year of college (what??) and I'm really excited. Can't wait to see my friends and just be away from home again. I love college and I've been anxious to go back all summer. Only taking twelve credits this semester: Animal Behavior, History of Psych, and Cognition. I'm a psychology major and this is my first semester when it's all psych all the time so I'm looking forward to that.

However, I'll be applying to grad schools for next year so that's terrifying. Writing essays, asking professors for letters of recommendation, making sure all my transcripts get sent to the right place. It's exciting and stressful all at the same time.

3. MDNA

Out Status:
    A few people
    to all those going back to school, have a good year ahead and work hard! :slight_smile:

4. Ryujin

My school year starts in bout 2 weeks and I'm going into year 9.i ha e to be honest and say that I am not looking forward to getting changed for PE lessons as I came out at the very end of last year and someone spread it more than I would like, I'm now worried about the reactions I'll get in the changing rooms :-(

5. Thank you so much! And wow, you've come such a long way! I'm proud and I say congrats for all the hard work you've done over the years! :slight_smile:

I'm glad you are excited - And psychology seems like a really interesting class, have fun with it! And hopefully, everything goes well with your application and your transcripts - Don't stress out so much though, I'm sure it will work out just fine!

And if you don't mind, can I ask a question? How is college exactly? Is it super hard like some say (academically I mean)? Do you still have free time (because I would like to have some time to write and stuff)? Do the professors not help you at all or is there tutoring? Thanks for the answers! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2014 at 08:48 AM ----------

Thank you!! We all will work as hard as we can and I hope everyone has a good year as well! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2014 at 08:49 AM ----------

Aww, that sucks, I'm sorry :frowning2: Well, if they do have some bad reactions, just tell them upfront that they have nothing to worry about because you won't hit on them or anything! Stay safe and hopefully, they all leave you alone! Good luck with the school year and I wish you all the best - Again, stay safe and happy and confident because you are beautiful no matter what your sexuality is! :slight_smile:

#5 bisexualkpopfan, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  6. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm starting in a couple of weeks. I'll be in 8th grade. I won't know my classes till the fist day. I do know that I'm skipping 8th grade math and taking algebra. I'm not looking forward to the year though, because I came out at the end of last school year, and things are still a little awkward for some people. Definitely not looking forward to changing for PE. A couple people will probably freak out.

7. Candace

Good luck with everything! It sounds like a busy schedule you have :grin:.

8. Ivysaur

Ugh, school starts on Monday for me. Open house tonight.

I'm a sophomore in high school. I'm nervous about it all, especially since people say sophomores are extremely catty/annoying/obnoxious. Even though I can't wait to see my friends daily and doing all my clubs again, I'm not prepared for the homework and late nights. I'm taking all honors classes so that doesn't help, and probably will take the PSAT this year. For now, however, I hope I'm gonna enjoy this year before junior and senior year hits me like a brick wall with ACT prep and college apps.

Good luck to you!

9. Ryujin

I'm not quite sure how 8th grade transfers to our British school years, but it seems like we're in a similar boat. One thing I plan on is that if someone says something about me hitting off on them or being pervert in PE is just to say something along the lines of: "Who'd be stupid enough to date an idiot like you!" which I hope will get them off my back. Anyhow, good look to ya!

10. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going into my first year of uni, taking general science. As classes I'm taking: Bio, Chem, Physics, Calculus, and French as an elective. I'm just slightly worried about how difficult Calc and physics will be :/

Nobody I really talked to in highschool is going to the university I'm going. So I'm really nervous, but really pumped on this chance for a fresh start :grin:

Good luck with school this year :thumbsup:

11. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ah... school... ;p

Good luck, you guys!! ^-^

12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Did you skip a grade? >.< I'm 16 and going into 11th grade. My classes are:

Spanish III
    U.S. History
    English Advanced Placement 11
    Pre-Calculus
    Chemistry
    I don't know what my 6th period is XP

Well anyways, good luck with your tests! Sounds pretty busy.

13. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! :slight_smile: You can ask me anything you like. It's hard to say, though, because everything's relative. Mine is academically challenging for me but not overly difficult. I enjoy it a lot more than high school. The workload tends to be higher, finals can be difficult, and most classes only run a few days a week so that's interesting. On the other hand, I know people who go to a technological school not far from mine who say the first year is h*** because they want to weed out the people who really want to be there. Studying psychology comes naturally to me and it's not hard, but one of my roommates is a biology major and she has a rough time with classes.

Free time depends on the major, workload, and how well you budget your time. Part of it is just prioritizing free time. I like to write too so I just always make sure I find time for it. Sometimes it's the hour before I go to bed or the couple hours between classes. I also try to give myself one day off classwork a week, but that became impossible last semester when I had classes five days a week instead of just four.

Most of my professors are very nice and approachable. Some of them not so much. Talking to people within your major, especially upperclassmen, is the best way to weed out which ones are good and which ones aren't. Make sure you trust the people you're asking, though. There's one psych professor I'm actively avoiding, but I do know one person that actually liked him.

14. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Despite it being my last full academic year of college, I'm excited for the upcoming year so I'm actually looking forward to it. I start Apprentice Teaching in the fall of 2015 and graduate the December. But yea...so this is my last academic year. This semester I've got: Abstract Algebra, Calc III, Intro to Numerical Analysis, Chem II + lab, Ethics in Science. Next semester I've got: PBI (Project Based Instruction), Number Theory, retaking Functions and Modeling, retaking Calc I, and either an online class to complete my certification or retaking Linear Algebra.

But yea...I expect this semester and the two following this to be a good one. Got a really good feeling about these two semesters (hope that my foresight is reflected in my grades!!)

#14 Randy, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  15. ChickenLady

I'm going into grade nine this year. I'm taking the normal class requirements, (Math, science, socials, English, PE) and am continuing with French instead of Spanish. I chose art and woodworking as my electives, which I hope to get. I wanted to take Spanish instead of woodworking, but apparently they weren't going to allow that this year...

I'm not even sure when school's going to start. It's supposed to start on the second, but the schools around here have been on strike for months, so I've heard it isn't going to start until October.

I'm not out in my school at all, except for my best friend, but I'm fine with that. I don't feel a need to come out, especially since I don't know many people to come out to, but I have no problems mentioning anything if it comes up in conversation. (Unlike last year.) Still a definite no on telling the family, though. Maybe next year.

I'm pretty happy for next year. I'm hoping classes will actually be a challenge this time, but I doubt it. Really the only things I'm not looking forward to is a possible Socials teacher (which I'd definitely switch out of his class), and some kids from last year. I hope some of them mature this year, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

So hopefully it'll be a good year, and fingers crossed I get teachers who can actually teach.

16. the haunted

This will be my 5th year at college.:eek:
    Still not a senior... lol.

I'm taking:
    Calculus III
    Quantitative Chemical Analysis
    University Physics II

Good luck in 12th grade! And HAVE FUN! :thumbsup:

17. otter

I'm gonna be taking short story/poetry, AP calculus, sports med 2, advanced dance, AP French (ugh), and government/economics. It's my senior year in high school and honestly, I just want to get through this year so I can finally start living my life.

18. glw

glw Guest

School starts for me on the 2nd, still resolving my schedule. Hopefully I pass this year, still have to do the ACT ugh. Anyways 12th grade, yay. Plan on telling my close friend sometime during the year, preferably before graduation thoughts come up.

19. littlemonster11

I'll be starting my fourth year of college this year as a Junior. This semester I'm going to be taking Financial Accounting, Macroeconomics, Behavior in Organizations (Management), and Advanced Photography.

I'm looking forward to finally joining some clubs on campus this year. Hopefully I'll make some friends this way!

Hope everyone has a great school year!! :slight_smile:

#19 littlemonster11, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  20. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is why I'm waiting till the end of this year (year 11) to come acknowledge my sexuality with others in my school