1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same-sex marriage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Randomcloud, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Randomcloud

Is it legal where you live? If not, do you think it could be anytime soon? I live in Australia and well...our leader is a homphobe :rolle:

Another thing: regardless of whether you can or not, do you WANT to get married?

Sorry if this has been asked a lot before- I'm new here!

2. Data

Data Guest

No and no.

Yes, eventually to great guy that I love.

3. awesomeness

Yes, it's legal.

And I'm not sure if I wanna get married. I'm not ruling it out though.

4. Hexagon

It's legal where I live. I don't want to get married. Marriage, as I see it, it still laden with religious and misogynistic baggage, and I think it would be better if we left the idea in the past where it belongs. What's more, there is no point. If I were in a relationship, I wouldn't need some ridiculously boring ceremony to prove my love. And that's even assuming I get into a relationship.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It isn't legal in Missouri yet. There are two cases coming to the courts within a month, and it will definitely be overturned.

6. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Nope, Abbot is a douche but I guess it's been illegal here for a while.

To the second question, yes if I felt very deeply for someone. I would want to be married legally but I think as long as I'm with them...I wouldn't need a piece of paper to tell me that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with my chosen partner.
    It would be an added bonus really...

7. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is legal in England for now.

8. DMark69

No, it is not legal here in Wyoming yet, but there is a court case in state court, Courage v Wyoming (I love that case name), as well as 2 cases from 10th circuit are up at the supreme court that could affect us.

My husband and I traveled to Iowa to get married, it wasn't a big ceremony, just two witnesses, us and the judge. I would like to see it legal so I can have all the benefits granted to straight people, primarily the ability to put my husband on a VA loan so we can buy a house.

9. Blossom85

I also live in Australia and I really wish it will become legal one day, so I can watch my best friend get married to her partner and also so one day I can if I met the woman of my dreams. I honestly think it is time we got behind the times and the leader of our country realized that it is not just his own personal opinion on the matter that should be the one to count.

10. glw

glw Guest

In Minnesota it is, I'm not sure yet.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nowhere in Australia has legalised same-sex marriage. The ACT had a shot at it, but the Federal Government knocked us down (to be fair, it was a dreadfully written bill).

Yes, I do want to get married. I couldn't care less about a ceremony, but the legal, financial, and social benefits are something I'd like to have.

12. Candace

Unfortunately, it is not. :frowning2:.

I live in a very conservative state (even if the city and outlying areas themselves seem more liberal), so I really detest it. I hope to move to another state that legalizes same sex-marriage. California, Massachusetts, New York, all viable options for me.

13. Ryujin

Fortunately, same-sex marriage is legal here in England!

I'm not at the point in my life where I want to decide, but the legal benefits of said marriage if in a same sex relationship are undeniable

14. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It is! I live in the Netherlands~

I don't really care if I get married or not... I'll leave that up to my (future) girlfriend, lol. If she wants to get married then I'm fine with that, if she doesn't I'll be fine with that as well...

15. Lukas17

It's legal here but not known as marriage but a life partnership though it has same benefits as marriage, only difference between those is its name.
    And about second question, I would like maybe one day but I'm not looking that forward :slight_smile:

#15 Lukas17, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  16. otter

Domestic partnerships are legal in CA, but not same-sex marriage. There's a good possibility that it will become legal here fairly soon, since most of CA is pretty liberal.

I don't really think about getting married since I'm only 17. It just seems so far ahead in the future that there's no possible way I could know if I'll want to get married at some point. Regardless, I'd like to know that it's legal if I do choose to marry in the future.

17. Takine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes it is in Canada, I'd get married if I met the right person

18. wdtgg

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, it is legal.

Well with the general divorce rate we have I don't think getting married ensures a long relationship, to get married just to gather your family and friends, I can do any other time I want to... I think is more important to live with someone you love and care about and who does the same for you, I don't need a paper to proof my commitment with that person, that said if for my partner marriage were to be very important, OK I may marry that person once we've been together for a time long enough to had gone already through the bad times too, because anyone is always willing to go together through the good times.

19. wolf of fire

Unless your a romantic marriage is pointless pretty much in the modern world but that is beyond the point we should have equal rights.

20. PICollins91

Just the Keys I believe right now if they haven't already appealed it but I don't see it happening statewide anytime soon, we'll be there with Mississippi as the last to do so if at all.

The man I marry will have to be very, very special for me to take that plunge though as I just don't see anyone wanting to stick with me for long.