1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do our first friendships influence our gender identity/sexuality in the future?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MindvsHeart, Aug 15, 2014.

1. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I was having a chat over tea with my sister today about the possibility of me coming out to my mom and brother this year (probably not yet, was the answer :icon_sad:slight_smile: and during the discussion, it veered off into a direction I wasn't even expecting. In an intriguing way.

She mentioned to me she's had an inkling that I wasn't straight for a long time now. (I immediately thought she was referring to when I was 14 and hesitantly told her that I might be lesbian.) She shook her head when I mentioned it and smiled at me before replying, "It all began with Jack & Laura."

Now, a little MvH history- Jack & Laura were the first friends I made when I was in kindergarten and from the stories my mom and sister tell, inseparable. Jack was a robust, chubby brunette male while Laura was a cherub of a blonde and quite girly. I actually had a crush on both of them, I think...it's hard to say since it was a while ago.

My sister continued by saying that the hesitant confession I gave her when I was 14 didn't make sense to her because as a child when I was with Jack & Laura, I had quite the knack of switching my 'gender', so to speak with whichever of the two I was playing with and was at home being male as I was with being female. Plus, she knew of my attraction to men :eusa_doh:

In reply to all this, I kind of looked at her with awe and slight confusion before I refilled her cup of tea. "You could have mentioned that when I was 14." I replied with a sigh.

My sister: I could have. But then you wouldn't be here four years later, accomplished in knowing that you've figured things out on your own. :icon_wink

I'm a bit skeptical about this which is why I'm posting this up. :help:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you think our first friendships may indicate or at least influence our gender identity/sexuality in the future? I look forward to your responses!! :thumbsup:

2. Hexagon

It doesn't seem particularly likely.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt it. But I think early friendships and interaction with others may encourage us to be more or less self-aware and able (or unable) to recognise our gender/sexual identities from an early age.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really think so. I wouldn't rule it out, though.

5. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I was thinking along all these lines as well. Thanks for your input everyone! :slight_smile:

6. Candace

I don't think so at all, because they might not be the longest lasting friendships, per se.

7. wdtgg

Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't rule it out, and I guess it may depend on each person, everyone gets emotionally attached in a different way or for different reasons, sometimes we make friends that are very important to us for the time in our life that we've met them, even when the friendship was short-lasting, or our friend's personality may influence us differently.

8. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is a very interesting possibility to think about.

The two friends I'm out to are both female, and we've been friends since kindergarten, so, a little over ten years. I actually met them when I was four. I realize that we are the minority in terms of keeping a friendship for that long, so my experiences are probably a little different than others who found new friends every few years, for instance. I've grown up with mostly females as regular friends, but I never felt like I completely fit with them. I remember when I finally got a guy as a friend, I felt happy, like he was someone I could relate to.

I can understand the switching genders thing. I did that when I identified as genderfluid. But I realized the only reason was because I wanted to attract the guys, as I figured they weren't gay or bi.

I don't believe early friendships determine sexuality. They haven't in my experience, anyways. As far as gender, maybe? It makes me wonder what my gender identity would have been like if I had grown up with a lot of boys. Would I have been comfortable, and even leaning towards femininity then? Honestly, I don't know how to answer your question for the gender part.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think so, but I was in love with my first female friend ,when I was a little girl.:icon_redf

10. the haunted

I know this isn't really answering your question, but I feel like some people's (not everyone, so nobody jump on my ass please) sexuality is caused or at least affected by their environment and upbringing. Don't get it twisted, I do think a lot of people are born gay, but I also believe that some gays aren't born that way. Like I think some people have a "list" of rational reasons why they prefer a particular gender or sex. Not just gut feelings.

I wonder. Let's say there's this place called Gay Island and the only people on the island are men. Men that were all born straight, but were put on this island straight from birth. The Gay Island is the only thing they know. For this you will have to pretend that a bunch of babies alone on an island wouldn't die lol. Growing up, they don't know what a woman is. Never seen one. Do you think they would fall in love with each other? Remain as friends? Would they have platonic sex? Romantic sex? Who knows, but I'm interested.

11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it would dear

12. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I see, and it was true in my case. I think we were close friends for about three years before we all went different ways, completely losing contact.

Hmm...that is something to think about. I think I was so impacted by our short but strong friendship because they were the first individuals outside my family that I was able to interact and socialize with. Which was hard back then because I had relatives everywhere I looked...:dry:

I wish I could of had a longer lasting friendship with my two friends but I really don't know what happened to them after I moved. We were very young and the next thing I knew I was moving to America, Laura to the U.K. and I believe Jack is still in NZ.

I understand the feeling about being happy at finally becoming friends with a guy. I, too mostly spent alot of time with females but was never truly one of them so yeah.. :slight_smile:
    Thanks so much for your response!

Awww :slight_smile:

I think our environment and upbringing plays a small part, yes and I think I'm one of those people with a 'list' haha!

The last part of your comment was very intriguing. It does make you think, doesn't it? What an interesting thought...

Thanks for your input, David! (*hug*)

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If our first friend is what we're going by... then no, at least, not in my case. The first individual I can remember being around, in around 2nd grade, wound up becoming, over his lifetime, a womanizer (not just misogynistic comments, but straight up physical abuse), addicted to heavy drugs and hard liquor, and spending 30+ years in prison, for armed robbery (where he still is, by the way, and probably will go back to, if he ever gets out).

Of course, your question is about gender identity and/or sexuality. As far as I know, he was a cisgender male, and heterosexual. So, no. Just like I wasn't influenced to become, well, a mess.

That said, I have encountered a few females who, for various reasons, set off that momentary envy feeling. They have really nice hair, soft skin, or look incredible in certain outfits, for examples. While not necessarily friends, we are friendly. They have, in a way, influenced possible looks I'd want, or mannerisms I could have, if I were to ever physically transition. So, it is possible, in some ways, or to some degrees.

14. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

So overall....it's really a hit & miss, kind of thing. Depending on a variety of factors both in the individuals we interact with and how we, personally perceive ourselves, our past experiences and our ability to be influenced. And we may be aware of these influences or not and these influences may/may not manifest or become noticeable until we are perhaps older or are better able to understand them.

Or, it's completely irrelevant.

Am I missing anything? :3

15. TheStormInside

Me too, though I didn't realize it at the time :icon_redf .

To answer your question, MindvsHeart, I don't think it influences our sexuality. I do think (given mine and stocking's answers) that it can be telling of our future preferences, though. Who we are drawn to in childhood can be indicative of who we'll be drawn to later in life, too. It's not necessarily that there is a sexual component at that age, but that there is an emotional draw to a particular gender.

I do think that who we hung around with as kids could definitely influence our gender presentation. I'm not sure about gender identity. But I think a girl who hangs with boys is more likely to present as tomboy to fit in with the guys, for example. I know that I personally had mostly female friends, but that I also grew up with two younger brothers, and so I think I got a fairly balanced amount of influence as far as gender presentation. I don't think hanging with boys as a girl will make you trans, though maybe it could indicate a preference toward being masculine.

Totally beside the point, I'd like to say, I've always loved your username :slight_smile:

16. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

A wonderful point to put across! Thank you for sharing it :grin:

Ah, thank you. (*hug*) I'm glad you like it as much as I do!

17. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I preferred female friends, and I stopped hanging out with them because I was 'trying to be a boy' or something. :icon_sad:

As well as I like guys and my male friends I never actually feel the same connection that I've felt with female friends. My two best friends I absolutely love, but I feel like I can't talk to a couple of regular dudes about a lot of this stuff.

18. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, might be possible.

19. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Well, I do know from my moms stories that I learned the anatomical differences between boys and girls from when I used to take baths with my first friend.

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I didn't realize it either, I thought it was admiration but, I really was in love with her, I kept asking myself why do I feel this way about a girl, I wanted her to like me so bad ,I do things to impress her and be extra nice to her.