1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

logic vs gut feeling

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dreamcatcher, Aug 15, 2014.

1. dreamcatcher

When you're forced to make a decision, do you often follow your gut or do you tend to make a decision based on logic? For example, let's say you have to get home quickly for reason x,y,z and there are two paths. One path is shorter and therefore the more logical choice but you gut is telling you to go the other way. Which one would you choose? ( this is just an example of what I mean by logic vs gut feeling)

2. Ryujin

I think I take logic more than is good for me. It has definitely stood in my way when trying to discern where my feeling about my sexuality actually lie.

3. dreamcatcher

I feel ya. I'm the same way. I've tended to choose the path of logic when I really should've trusted my instinct.

4. Candace

I'd rather use logic, since I can think about it more and ensure that I'm making the right decision. If you took into account all of the decisions that I've ever made, there are perhaps more times where I've been wrong with going with my gut feeling than using logic.

5. There are two separate times where each of these is the one I would rely on.

I tend to rely on logic for life choices--where do I go to school? what do I want to do next? how am I going to get there? what's the fastest and most efficient way to do this?

I tend to rely on my gut for people-y things. especially if I'm feeling creeped out and I can't explain why that is. at that point, I'm sure I could figure out why I'm feeling that way, but I usually just get out of that situation as fast as possible. but also my gut is how I figure out who I like. there are people who I immediately feel comfortable with for no discernible reason, I just feel it. and that sets me at ease so I'll probably be friends with them.

tl;dr there is a time and a place for gut feelings and for logic

6. Ryujin

We both Vulcan then ? :slight_smile:

#6 Ryujin, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  7. wanderinggirl

I feel like there's a logical basis behind my gut instinct. If my gut tells me not to go down the shorter path, I have to ask myself where this feeling came from: do i maybe remember a story I once heard about the shorter path being home to poisonous spiders or R.O.U.S.es? Or is it just darker and i'm scared for no reason? There's a reason behind my gut instincts usually.

Basically I would stand at the intersection overanalyzing the decision til I starve to death.

8. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You could see that as training... now you know that inner feeling better...

9. SomeLeviathan

intuition is my first response when I need to react quickly. If I am planning out a response, I can process things in a fairly logical manner.

10. the haunted

This.

I'm a very logical person, but I go off vibes when I meet people.

11. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    usually logic. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and my gut feeling isn't perfect by a long shot. Sometimes though, I will use my gut feeling. I should've listened a lot more times than I did at least

12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Logic mostly. Most of my gut feelings are based off of logic anyways.

13. Ryujin

I like this idea, all I need now is my own Wallace Wells... *Scott Pilgrim Ref *

14. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Given that I can never know that I have all the relevant information, I've come to the opinion at this point that if i don't feel right about the decision than it doesn't matter how logical it seems, it still is the wrong decision, for me. Because I've made some god awful choices that seemed rational enough at the time. But my gut was saying 'nope'.

15. dreamcatcher

Yeah I definitely think so. I used to think I could use logic for almost anything since I didn't trust my gut feelings but I'm learning that I need to trust my intuition more. I guess in matters of the heart or in relationship things it's sometimes best to go with your gut. I also use logic for my life decisions.

My long lost Vulcan brother! I knew I couldn't be the only one :wink:

Hmm.. that is true. I still need some more training though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Meadowlark17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the time of day

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Logic. I've spent all these years training my brain; my gut is usually sort of dumb XD.

18. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's funny...I've never thought of intuition as coming from my "gut"...I don't normally even like to think of myself as having a "gut".

There are times when I'm more apt to use logic and times that I'm more apt to use intuition.

Realistically, I'd have to say that I use logic tempered by intuition or intuition tempered by logic...and that I use each of those about 50% of the time.

19. Jenna0780

I think it depends on the setting at hand. In matters of the heart, I tend to throw feasibility out the window. I think it would be safe to say that nearly everything else, I analyze very closely, although I'm sure there are other circumstances where that isn't true. I can't think of any right now, though.

20. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i dont even know