1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who proposes first if you are both in a same-sex ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MissRanger, Aug 16, 2014.

1. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

Unlike in a hetero relationship it's the guy who always does the proposal as far as I know. So what about two gay couples? Which one should propose first? Just curious...

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Actually, I know of two couples, where the woman proposed to the man, in a heterosexual relationship, so, that isn't a sealed deal. It's what society expects, yes, but it isn't totally cemented.

When it comes to same-sex relationships, well, I assume that depends on a few things. Namely, do both partners disregard the so-called relationship roles? If so, I assume they both could propose. If not, then I would assume it comes down to, whoever is the more outgoing of the two, if one of them prefers to live a more submissive/receptive role. But even then, that isn't guaranteed either.

Personally, I think either party should be able to propose. Surely, you'd know your partner well enough, to not propose too early or at the wrong time. The conversation, about marriage or the possibility of such, will have happened, or enough time and experience has crossed through your lives, that you'd know.

Then again, I'd be tickled to death, if somebody proposed to me, at all. Not because I think I'm absolutely hideous or anything, but more so, because I'm a difficult one to love.

3. Blossom85

My best friend is with a woman and her partner proposed to her.. I don't know the ins and outs and how it was discussed between them or if it was a surprise for my best friend, but I guess like in a heterosexual relationship, there might be a clear understanding of who is more dominate in the relationship and who is more submissive, I would say in those cases, perhaps the dominate one would be the one to propose. That is just my opinion though.

4. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one who likes to lead, i guess.

5. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I really leave these kind of things up to chance but I think if I was in an established relationship...I think I would want us both to have a heart-to-heart about it and approach it together. Plus, the idea of ring hunting together is appealing...especially if its for the One Ring. ^^

6. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I kind of like the idea of both partners planning proposals simultaneously, and them both buying rings or whatever, culminating in a "proposal setting" where both end up revealing their plans and laughing sheepishly.

That's not what I want for me, I just like the idea of it happening.

7. Dakeli27

Even in a hetero relationship, the woman can propose if the man's dragging his feet! It doesn't really matter, and there's no rule as to who has to propose, but if you're eventually in a nice, long relationship, and you think you're both ready but your partner hasn't made a move, go for it!

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The couple of times we've talked about this in a hypothetical sense, we agreed that if and when that time comes, it should be more of a "sit down together and talk about it" type mutual decision than aaa "get on one knee and pull out a ring" spur-of-the-moment emotion-based decision.

9. awesomeness

Usually the one who's the "top" or the more dominant one.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That has nothing to do with it.

11. Emulator

Whoever feels more inclined to do so. Even in some heterosexual couples, there are women proposing to men...gender roles have been so reversed that there isn't a set criteria for determining who will propose.

12. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seeing as asking like that is something that takes a tremendous amount of courage to ask, I would imagine that it would be whomever works up the nerve to bring it up first.

13. Candace

There is no set guidelines as to who should propose to who. Both can propose to the other one. :slight_smile:

14. justjade

That's how my husband and I did it. :slight_smile: One day, we just decided, hey, let's get married, and we talked about how we wanted to do it and whether or not we wanted to tell anyone. This was in my girl days, but I really think it's a good way to go. Also, in my girl days, I was the one who proposed to my ex-husband. His response? "That doesn't sound too bad." Why did I go through with that? :eusa_doh:

15. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoever wants to?

Pesonally, I think I would be too nervous to ever propose to someone. :icon_redf

My grandma proposed to my grandpa. ^.^