1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explaining pansexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ryujin, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Ryujin

I recently came out as bi to my friends and most of my school (unfortunately) but then after looking around a bit, I realised pansexulity is a word that fits me more. However, I'm not quite sure how to explain this both to my friends and my parents when I eventually come out. It somehow seems easier sticking with bisexual as a descriptor but I prefer to label things correctly rather than easily. Any ideas?

2. Dakeli27

Ocasionally say "well, I'm really pansexual, but bisexual is easier to explain." And then when they ask, explain what pansexuality is. The easiest way to explain it IMO is "pansexuals can be attracted to people of any gender", and avoid cultivating misinterpretations such as "pansexuals don't have preferences" or "Pansexuals aren't attracted to someone based on what they look like", as though this is true with some, it annoys others, the way any stereotype does.

3. Ryujin

Thanks, I think the hardest part is going a day telling everyone I've come out to that I've come to know myself better and would prefer to be referred to as demi-pansexual rather than bisexual.

4. julianne

I consider myself pansexual, but I generally come out as bisexual because it's very similar in my opinion and it's just easier. I understand why you'd want to come out as pan though!

When I first started coming out I simply said "I consider myself pansexual; it means that gender is not a factor in my relationships and I have the capability to be attracted to people of all genders and gender expressions."

A lot of people didn't understand, or didn't want to understand, unfortunately, so I just stick with bi now...