1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transsexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by truffles45, Aug 16, 2014.

1. truffles45

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, this my sound stupid, but I was having a discussion with an acquaintance/co-worker. He was saying that transsexual people need to be labeled as be a trans-man or a trans-women and so after even if they decide to have srs. Now my views on this situation is that, I don't believe that we should even be labeling transition people and trans. My reasoning behind this is that if they look like a man or a woman then that's what they are. I believe that just because they don't have the "right" parts downstairs or upstairs doesn't make them any less of the gender that they are inside. As we were talking about this another co-worker (who happens to be gay) walks over and interjects here opinion favoring my other co-workers opinion.

So, my question is: am alone in my way of thinking?

Also please comment your opinions on the situation. I always like to here other peoples views. :thumbsup:

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a transgender person, I see myself as male, not a trans male. The only place where I think it should be noted differently is the doctors. Transgender people have some health issues that need to be watched for, so that is why I think it should be listed there.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think a trans man or trans woman should be able to call themselves a man or a woman , them being trans should only be an issue or known to their partners and not everyone else .

I'm surprised their aren't more posters in here :confused:

4. Data

Data Guest

Could you explain? I didn't know trans individual were at risk for health issues. Why is that? Is it an effect of hormones?

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I prefer to identify my trans brothers and sisters as my brothers and sisters unless it must be otherwise (for example, in a serious, academic discussion of transgender and genderqueer intersectionalities in human rights issues.)

Data: Yes, transitioners need specific and trained medical care, and self medicating hormones is rather a dangerous idea. Officially, we don't even allow threads on it. They probably even get locked faster than the "can I put vegetables up my butt?" threads.

#5 Pret Allez, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  6. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah I would rather be called male than trans male

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When we identify trans people as trans men and trans women when there's no need to mention that they're trans, then we end up thinking of them not as men and women, but a genderless medical phenomenon without the same humanity and privacy as others.

If a cisgender person (a person who's not trans; comfortable with their assigned gender) refuses to call trans people plainly men and women, just call them cis-man/woman all the time. They tend not to like it, even if you turn it back on them with their own logic of "it's just a descriptor."

8. AlamoCity

Also, for transmen, depending on whether they don't get or haven't yet had a hysterectomy and/or oophorechtomy, would put them at risk at such conditions like ovarian cancer.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And of course mental health issues, which often are a result of stigma and dysphoria.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm talking those who are medically transitioning.. sorry I should have been more clear in my original post. Naturally, a man that has a uterus is going to have to be checked for different issues than a man with a penis. In a perfect world, this could be noted as I have written, but with the common thought of sexual organs=gender that we have here, that is not going to happen.

Also, hormones can make somebody more likely to have issues such as high blood pressure and other things, so this is also something that medical professionals need to keep an eye on.

11. PurpleGrey

Frankly, calling a man a transman, or a woman a transwoman, as a rule, the way you described, is equivalent, in my opinion, to saying he is not a man at all, and that she is not a woman. If any of that makes sense.

12. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The marginalization that is felt when someone is being made 'other' by the use of a term that is not what they identify with is real. Until people are willing to accept a change in their own thinking, medical identifications will always expose trans individuals to the possibility of dehumanizing and demoralizing treatment by others. Sorry if that went off the rails.

13. stormborn

i think that if someone identifies as a man or woman, then that is what they are. appearances aren't always the best indicator. :slight_smile:

but i agree that transgender people don't need to be labelled as transgender. i feel like it would be a lot easier if we started putting people down as what they identify as for everything except medical and some legal stuff. and for that, we put their chromosomes (xx, xy, xxy, etc) as opposed to the f/m marker. but that's a different conversation for a different time.

14. Hexagon

I'm a guy. That's final.

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes

16. Dakeli27

I think that differentiating trans* men and women will definitely encourage prejudices and make it harder for them to be accepted. People should be able to be called what they want, and unless someone wants to be called trans*, they should be referred to like everyone else.

17. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Call me transsexual and then treat me differently from a cisgender man? Fuck off.
    Call me transsexual and then treat me no differently from a cisgender man? Hello there.

The problem with me is not that they call me transsexual, transgender, or simply just trans. That's who I am. I was not born male. Does that make me any less male?

No.

The problem is when they start treating me differently, like I'm not a 'true' man. That's when I get pissed as fuck.

Don't fucking introduce me as your trans friend.
    Don't fucking tell others I'm trans without my permission.
    Don't fucking bring my gender into every single damn conversation.

But yes, you can say that I am having trouble finding a job because I'm trans.
    And yes, you can say that I'm having family issues because I'm trans.
    And yes, you can say that I get bullied because I'm trans.

But only if it's true.

My two cents, anyway.

18. Dakeli27

Two cents? That was worth two Benjamins.

19. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Heh. Thanks, dude.

20. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is in detail but many people simply do not know this...

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gende...nformation-about-transgender-individuals.html
    "...there is a part of the brain that is different sizes in males and females. Autopsies have shown that this structure is consistent in size with the desired gender of transsexual individuals regardless of whether or not they ever underwent HRT. This does not prove causation, but it is extremely good evidence for a biological cause."

So its a womans brain in a mens body and vice versa... of course there are different stages of this...

There is a huge spectrum of transgender people... its everybodys choice what they do and where they feel comfortable...

After SRS, there are gynaecologists who cannot tell a difference in some mtf people. The SRS is lengthy, though...
    Pre/non SRS, if they are on hrt, the penis might shrink somewhat to what many refer to as a big clitoris. Some of the anti androgens used are also used for chemical castration, by the way. Some people report their orgasms coming closer to female orgasms.
    Some experience that without hrt.

(People interested in the details look them up)

They are men and women. Period.

Who they tell, and what, imO is their business.

There are a lot of false images around, concerning this subject.
    Maybe people could see them just as individuals with needs and cravings like everyone else.