1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinion on labels?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ryujin, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Ryujin

I know that oftentimes labelling yourself can be a negative thing to do as you railroad yourself into thinking that way which can make being open minded difficult. Despite this, I've always wanted to label everything properly with something that fully describes it and I don't think sexuality is any different. What do you think? Are they a negative thing or a positive? Do they provide a sense of security or is it just false?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think language is about using words to communicate, and concision is important. So I am positive about labels. Some people feel that labels don't fit them, and they are free to identify and explain who they are on their own terms.

I don't think it is fair to say "labels are a problem," because that implies that people who are comfortable with their own labels are contributing to a problem.

3. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The important thing is that a label is understood merely as a useful sorting tool. It is not a replacement for the full person just like a synopsis is not a full book.

4. SeaSalt

Without labels the original Bat Cave would be confusing as fuck. We couldnt have Batman going down Robins Compressed Steam Batpole Lift now could we, That would be Ludicrous!
    [​IMG]

As for gender/ sexuality/ bodytype labels, I hate them with a vengance. Its horrible when you get labels thrown at you all the time and you find yourself labeled with the wrong group.
    I can however appreciate that they do make the world easier to understand when you can just categorise everything under a predefined label. I just feel like there is a fine line between labeling everything and Judging people based on said labels and it can sometimes be hard to tell when you have crossed that line. the other thing is when you actually try to conform to fit into your desired label/ group

This rant was brought to you by an Endomorphic Bear who wants to be a Ectomorphic Twink. Labels Suck :frowning2:

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't have a problem with labels as long as they aren't being incorrectly used towards me. For example if someone characterized me as gay, I would feel a bit funny about it. I'm not gay, I'm pansexual and genderqueer. For a long time I wanted an exact label on my gender, but I've come to accept that I'll never get one, and in a way I like the vagueness that genderqueer offers.

6. Dakeli27

I think that finding a label that accurately describes yourself (e.i. Biromantic Demi-heterosexual) can make you feel like a part of something and help you accept yourself, but I really agree with Kai, that a label does not and should not replace who you are.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I like them they get the point across .:icon_bigg

8. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

keep em simple and they're helpful

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IF you are a simple person, then a simple label which YOU identify with is fine. Unfortunately, these pre-printed binary labels don't accurately describe the analog spectrum which is sexuality, because they don't address all of the intermediate positions along the scale.

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Labels can be stifling, but they can also be of great comfort when you're trying to figure out who you are and where you belong.

11. On point, as usual Pret Allez.

I don't get the label hate everyone has. "labels" are just descriptive words that we use to communicate something about ourselves.

Instead of saying that someone "has light brown hair with some dark brown streaks in there but lately the sun has lightened it up some" I could just say she's a "brunette"

I don't understand why we can't just use words in the same general meaning way when it comes to other parts of ourselves.

Any word that someone uses to describe themselves may not give every single piece of information about them. It's just supposed to give the pertinent information needed at the given time. Perhaps to be elaborated on later, perhaps not ever to be elaborated on.

It's not supposed to confine you to some kind of identity box where you have to be an exact copy of anyone else who has ever used the word to describe themselves. It's just a best fit term to communicate something about you.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I honestly don't get the we hate all labels bandwagon .:confused:

13. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never gotten the "labels give security" claim, nor the "we don't need no stinkin' labels" claim.

I'm with those who say that labels are just words that give you information about a thing and help you make useful distinctions among them. If used correctly, anyway. The trouble is that too many people overgeneralize..."all women do blah, blah, blah"; "if you're gay, that means blah, blah, blah"; black people always blah, blah, blah". That is not the label's fault...it's the fault of ignorance in our society...it isn't fixed by getting rid of labels...it's fixed by educating society.

The other trouble is people using labels to define themselves...to figure out who they are. I'll say it again. A label cannot help you figure out who you are. You have to figure out who you are before you know the right friggin' label to use. Otherwise, you're just shooting in the dark and confusing people by using the wrong damned label.

14. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a person that used a label to figure myself out , boy it was a huge mistake , if I could go back in time I would have stayed as questioning .:bang:

15. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a love hate relationship with labels..
    They can be great when you're trying to figure yourself out, but they can also make that the worst fucking time of your life, but they're also great when you're coming out to someone, to keep things nice and simple.

16. Candace

Everyone has their own personal label. I always say that I'm gay 80% of the time, straight acting 20% of the time :lol:. You shouldn't be egged into choosing a label for yourself that you personally don't feel dovetails. Create your own label to accurate describe yourself and let people truly know the real you :slight_smile:.

17. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Its like with an art. In the beginning, you may learn certain terms. But as you move along, you develop your own style. Not all of the human experience can be comprehensively described by labels. Just be yourself.

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just feel that sometimes people shy away from the label bi when their attracted to both sexes and try to hard to fit into gay and sometimes straight .
    But I agree you can just be yourself .

19. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know when I was in the process of figuring everything out, labels were and still are helpful.

20. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They are a convenience, just like scientific jargon. It's when the words start to take on meaning that is not warranted that a problem arises.