1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A hypothetical situation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sitri, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Sitri

This is something that has been bothering me for a while now.

So, imagine you knew this guy who was very... flamboyant, to put things lightly. Short of publicly kissing another guy, he was everything stereotypes have taught you about gay men. Like, nobody questioned his sexuality because everybody already knew he was gay. Now imagine that he talked to you about a crush he had... on a girl. How would you react.

I have a reason for asking this (hint: it happened to me) but I would like to hear a few replies before I reveal the whole thing.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I would probably react thusly:

"Oh, sorry, I thought you were gay, and I was totally affirming and cool with that. But that sets me right. Tell me more about her. What's she like? What's she into?"

So, what I have done here is--assuming he's trying to hide in the closet by telling me about a fake heterosexual crush--I've told him the game is up. But, in addition to telling him the game is up, I have told him that I support him 100% of the way. What does this mean? Well, if he's straight, then we can probably laugh it off and move on. If he's gay or bisexual, hopefully I have told him unequivocally that I am safe to come out to right then and there.

3. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

He might just be bi, really.

Or just loves to fool around with everyone, shocking people, and isn't really gay or bi at all.
    I'd just tell him what I think of the girl, and ask him how that crush happened.

And remember: How flamboyant a person is when they're unbound does not tell you that he can't be faithful in a relationship.

4. mangotree

Technically flamboyancy isn't a uniquely gay attribute.
    I've noticed it a fair bit in guys who are under 25ish these days.
    Most of us get the opposite i.e. gets annoying when people just "assume" we're straight. It might be the same for him.

Or maybe he's gay, but questioning his sexuality (instead of the typical "straight" and questioning).

I guess just take it at face value.
    Treat it the same as if someone you thought was straight wanted to talk to you about a same-sex crush.

5. sugarcubeigloo

I would talk to him about that girl. Simple as that. If he says or implies that he's straight, then that's what he is until I'm otherwise informed.

#5 sugarcubeigloo, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I would think he was bi

7. Weekender

I feel like it's really not that different from finding out a guy that you wholeheartedly believed to be straight was actually gay. They're both a bit of a surprise, but nothing to really wonder about. Really, no matter how absolutely a person matches the stereotypes, you can never really know what they're sexuality is until they tell you. Point blank. If he likes boys, he likes boys. If he likes girls, he likes girls. That's the only thing you can ever truly go by.

8. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd talk to him about the girl. Still, I probably wouldn't get along very well with a flamboyant person.

9. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

yeah

10. awesomeness

I'd think he was in denial about his sexuality.

That might not be the case of course, but that would be my first thought.

11. TabletopFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This! I don't know why people tend to assign someone's sexuality on the way they act. Just like gay guys, straight men can be on opposite sides of the masculinity/feminity spectrum as well.

12. Sitri

Okay, I think it's time for the whole story. Basically, everything I said happened except he didn't exactly talk to me. In the yearbook I noticed that he put a female as his underclassmen crush. Now, this section was optional and a little over half the seniors left it blank.

When I saw this, at first I thought I read it wrong, but when I realized it was correct, I chuckled, shrugged, and thought "You can't judge a book by its cover." I showed this to my friends and they all replied the same way. "No, he's gay. Have you SEEN him?"

This frustrated me to no end. There would be no reason for him to lie. Everybody assumed he was gay and he no doubt knew it. I've been fuming about it for a few months and wanted to see how you would react.

13. oLukeo

oLukeo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe he was bi, that's what I'm getting from it.

14. PurpleGrey

I'd just go with it. For all I know, he could be a Duckie Dale and/or Eddie Izzard and/or reverse-Janis Ian type (reverse because he's a guy who comes off as gay, rather than a girl who comes off as lesbian).

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agree with every word of this.

16. Hexagon

That happened once. I was surprised, but it wasn't a big deal. Anyway, I'm glad such people exist. We shouldn't judge people's sexuality on their gender expression, but we almost always do.

17. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I probably wouldn't bat an eye and just beckon him closer,
    "So tell me more about this girl. Did she have a smoking hot...personality?" :wink:

18. Reptillian

I'd be like meh.

19. dizzyCalysto

Out Status:
    All but family
    I wish I could say I would give him love advice, but I think I would end up making things worse with bad advice.