1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you ever get "the talk?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Aug 17, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

I'm talking about parents telling their children how to act with law enforcement.

How Black Parents Seek to Protect Their Sons - TIME

I actually hadn't heard of it before. My parents never gave me "the talk," but I was also well-raised to treat others with respect. The closest I ever got to "the talk" was when taking some driving courses where they cover for a minute how to act when pulled over (e.g. don't make sudden movements, keep hands visible, etc.).

If I ever have kids I'm not sure if I would ever give them "the talk," but I will try to raise them to behave well and act appropriately, trust the police in general (while not forgetting their 4th and 5th Amendment rights :lol:slight_smile:, and be good citizens.

What's your experience?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh the whole "hands out the window" thing? Ya... I'm not sure how to feel about that...

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, because I grew up white in a rather crime-free middle-class neighborhood. If I had kids, though, you can be sure they would get this talk.

Lex

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

thought this was sex

anyway no i guess my dad assumed who would shoot a timid ass fat white girl, little does he know i move awkwardly without thinking and police seem to be on a roll with shooting people for bad reasons

5. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would among other things explain how the legal system actually works as opposed to the way it should work. I would also tell my adopted kid (seriously doubt I would have one of my own by choice) that the only thing that matters is whether others are harmed because that is the only thing besides your own happiness that matters.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes but it covered cops , jobs and everything else about being a black person .:dry:

7. PICollins91

No, I grew up around cops as my Dad was the go-to mechanic for the local police department to fix the squad cars so I guess there was never any need for a talk about it.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been spending too much time on EC. When I heard "the talk" my thought of topic was quite a bit different than dealing with police. We'll leave it at that. :lol:

That said, I don't recall any discussion like this when I was growing up. But...it probably wasn't necessary given where and when I grew up. Plus I'm not even sure my parents would have even thought of it, given their background.

Given how much mystery literature I'd read, however, by the time I was a teenager, I was well aware of certain things. Such as refusing to answer questions after arrest without a lawyer present. This was something Perry Mason's clients never seemed to manage doing, and which caused him any number of problems.

My chances of having kids is less than the chances of winning the Washington State Lottery 52 weeks in a row. That said, I'd probably have some discussion on this matter.

9. Blossom85

Never had to have a chat like that at all.. I think if you don't have a criminal record and haven't done anything wrong, there is no need to fear the police.. They are here to protect us from criminals.. It is only people who have done the wrong thing who are either afraid of them or treat them badly.

10. Candace

My mom gave me "the talk" when I was like 10-11 years old. I've been a good lil' boy ever since :grin:. My dad, surprisingly, has never given me "the talk" at all.

11. oLukeo

oLukeo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think I've ever had the talk, no.

12. AAASAS

Cops don't just shoot black people.

Missouri has a significantly high black population.

Here in Canada, cops shoot you regardless of race. Earlier this year; I think, some unarmed kid with mental health problems was shoot several times by a police officer that has since been charged with murder, he was white.

Our police also taze foreigners to death at the airport.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yeah...

... in the back of a police car, when I was a little juvenile punk.

Not exactly my finest moment.

14. Hexagon

Kind of. It has been impressed on me that I should avoid being caught. I've never trusted the cops, a mixture of personal experience, history, anarchism, and the fact that cops infiltrated an organisation of which I am a member. One of them even married and had kids with a member of it.

#14 Hexagon, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had the talk, even as someone white. But only the first half of it, the "do what the cop says, let him arrest you, don't talk back, etc." I never got the "memorize his badge number and call me when you get to the precinct" or the hands part. I don't remember where I got this from. Could have been school, could have been from Mom (or Dad). Could have been from some TV show. I honestly don't remember.

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my driver's ed teacher,

"Address him as sir. Not asshole, not pig, not douchebag. Sir."

My dad once asked me this and I said the exact same thing as my grandfather, a lawyer and judge would have said:

"You shut your mouth and ask for a lawyer."

A good thing for everyone to watch, especially those of us who are of visible minorities, is Flex Your Rights' "The Ten Rules For Dealing With Police."

[youtube]s4nQ_mFJV4I[/youtube]

17. Meadowlark17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    kind of I went to a birthday party and his dad was a cop and he put me in the back of the cop car and handcuffed me and I reacted badly so the cop gave everybody the talk

18. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

that sounds like the worst birthday party ever

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. No "talks" whatsoever. Except for some minor typical teenage stuff that we never got caught for, I stayed away from trouble and respected teachers and people in positions of authority. Despite that, and good grades on top of that, my parents seemingly were never happy and nothing was ever good enough.

20. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sort of, because my father and I were discussing Ferguson.
    He said to be polite, listen, not to put my hands in my pockets, and ask for a lawyer (if I remember correctly).