1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do dreams really mean?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MassiveExtract, Aug 17, 2014.

?

Woops I made a poll - best dream based movie?

1. Inception

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Paprika

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Wizard of Oz

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. A Nightmare on Elm Street

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I barely remember my dreams, but last night I finally did. I was at a fast food joint with a lot of my classmates, two whom I know are religious and one of them said to me "I'm so disappointed you're not with a woman." I don't remember my reply, but I must have been explaining myself to her. Another one of my classmates said that it was a sin. That's all I remember.

Yesterday was my lgbt education day so I watched a lot of documentaries and was talking to my friends about the subject of being more open with my sexuality this semester in college (which starts in two days). Could it be that subconsciously I know that I'll get those negative responses from people?

I've told at least 20 people already that I'm gay since accepting myself last month and I have yet to be rejected, even by my homophobic best friend. I don't know what rejection for being gay is yet - are my dreams projecting that it might finally happen? :***:

#1 MassiveExtract, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think dreams are the brains attempt to tell you something that you probably aren't addressing emotionally, personally.For example I was regularly getting dreams of losing my teeth that were so real that I would freak out completely until I woke. All the time. Never had a cavity.

My interpretation was that my false persona was trying to prevent me from losing the 'pride' in the elaboration of the image I had created and was fighting the need to lose. Nobody, I believe, has any idea thanks to my fine performance that I am now resolving to actually be the beautiful person that I always wanted to be.

Plenty more I could say about what dreams can tell you if you can interpret them correctly. Sometimes, I think, your brain can sift what you know and predict quite closely your near future! It has happened to me and I have talked to several people that have described pointless but prophetic dreams and I have no reason to think they are lying.

3. Candace

I had a dream last night where I was driving down the interstate near my house and it was ALL converted and upgraded. An express HOV lane, new overhead lights and signage, and new exit configurations. I guess it's because I want to work in stuff like transportation planning, so that stuff interests me, and I guess it's a foreshadow of what my area might look like in 10-20 years, I don't know.

I usually remember the really weird ones. Those where I feel like it was a complete story from start to end, not something like a clipshow where it's short segments of some things. We're told that our dreams can be what we're subconsciously feeling and/or our minds processing what we've done the previous day. :slight_smile:

4. TabletopFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually I had a rather vivid dream about a guy I was doing my postgrad with last night. We were apparently looking for something together in a white van with him at the wheel? It became R-18 pretty quick though I gotta say, and I've NEVER even thought of him that way before. But after I woke up, a feeling of melancholy washed over me, and my eyes were blurry with tears. And I still don't know why I felt sad about it, considering that I don't even have any romantic interest in him lmao.

Personally though, I don't really think too much about my dreams. They tend to be pretty f!@#ed up I gotta say.

5. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I normally dream about who I fear or am stressing about or what is on the back of my mind.

6. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your dream could be many things. You could be right, and be predicting a future rejection, but It could also be your fears. Dreams are your ways to working out subconscious problems that you push to the back of your mind while your awake. You could, subconsciously if not consciously, be afraid of possible rejection. Or it could mean nothing, but if it means nothing, thats a HUGE coincidence.

7. Hexagon

Just your mind trying to sort through stuff. They could mean lots of things.

8. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i watched a bunch of amish shows last niight and dreamed some nutter kept trying to baptize me

another night i researched human anatomy (this is legit ok) and dreamed i had this mixed genital shit going on

then one night i was nervous about an interview so i dreamed about fucking up the interview

my brain is that simple. except lately i want to masturbate in all of my dreams so i dont even know

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Usually you are able to tell the difference, if you ponder it...

And the mind talks through pictures. Sometimes it might be advisable to look them up.
    The interpretation is individual, what it means to oneself...
    Having dreams of sleeping with a man, for example, might just mean a feeling to get more emotionally connected to others... not to this one man specifically...
    or the feeling to get more active... like starting something creative...
    men might be interpreted as ones own active side, women as emotional side...
    its individual...

Also, dreams might be influenced by:
    -not eating heavily right before going to sleep,
    -not watching distressing pictures a few minutes before going to sleep (i don't watch them all day if possible), and maybe relaxing just a bit and coming down a bit.

10. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

like just rubbin one out in the middle of the grocery store. come on brain dont do that....

11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Its what it means to you...
    one interpretation might be its your own nervousness.... completely understandable after coming out to many people....

12. photoguy93

I think dreams can definitely be attached to your emotional state. One of the best examples of this is how whenever I'm really anxious or worried about something, I have dreams where I can't lock the door or call 911. It's weird. Like, it's not even that someone is after me - it's just a general feeling. Like, in that split second of the dream - I need to call the police and I simply cannot. I type the 9, then the 1...and then I accidentally type a 2. Then a 3, and so on.

Some dreams I think can be connected to things we are hiding. However, I don't think it's true all the time or true for every part of the dream.

13. the haunted

I have some really intense, realistic dreams sometimes.

Once I dreamed that I kissed someone and then I woke up with a crush on them. Wtf. It was so weird. We actually dated and it ended horribly after about a year and a half lol.

Before I actually had gay sex, I dreamed about it alllll the time. It was great dreaming, don't get me wrong, but man. I would wake up and my body would feel like I had just had sex. A wet dream maybe? Weird.

And then there's the masturbation dreams. A hobby of mine that I very openly enjoy. Not taboo in my little world.

I think gay axolotl is my spirit animal.

14. 741852963

Dreams can mean everything, or nothing.

Some dreams might be an expression of your general emotional state: Falling - lack of control, being buried - feeling overwhelmed, dieing - starting afresh. But then these might mean absolutely nothing, it isn't hard science. Likewise, one dream might mean different things for different people.

I dream of work a lot. That could mean I hate my job, spend too much time in the office, have an unresolved conflict there etc. Alternatively it could just be my brain tripping into autopilot and conjuring up the most recognizable and easy to replicate place given I spend a lot of time there - like how browsers load previously visited websites quicker. Who knows?!

And my favourite dream based movie? Hmmmm. The Cell, Ink or Dark City.

15. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wizard of oz awsome.

16. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've started taking a dream journal recently (although I also had one in my early teens) because I find it so fascinating, especially like the idea of lucid dreaming. I've had a few in the past and want to try it again.

As for sexuality, I certainly had lots of dreams about either telling people I was gay or failing to tell people I was gay. It was certainly on my mind a lot.

As for films I would have voted for Waking Life or Mulholland Drive - both great films.

17. One Man Army

My dreams told me I was gay before I finally admitted it to myself. That's all I'm saying.

On another note, I don't think we can interpret every dream we have because some of them are so incoherent that they'd read like a script penned by an opium-crazed Victorian inventor.

18. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good point. When I was 5 I remember this odd dream I had... I was having sex with goofy while falling form the sky. I can't believe I still remember that.

19. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Had this dream that was really like the scene in Serenity where River is in a school and knows it is an illusion. I was pretty much in that, and then walked out. Before I did I grabbed a really cute boy and made out with him. Seemed like the dream was loaded with symbolism there.