1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite fictional character?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rainbows~Exist, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Rainbows~Exist

Just wondering who do you regard as your favorite fictional character and why? Mine is easily Rorschach from the Watchmen comic book series. I just love the message he portrays and how he never compromises to evil, his mask and appearance and this quote just seals the deal:

"Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

2. TabletopFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Err that's a tough one... for me, it's either Cthulhu or Will Truman.

The former, a horrific eldritch being of such cosmic proportions that human minds succumb to insanity if they were to accept his existence. The latter, a fictional gay character who basically showed me that your sexuality shouldn't be the only thing that defines you as a person.

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't pick. I have so many.

4. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tae Shimura from Gintama.
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful and powerful and smart and in total possession of herself.

5. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Arizona Robbins from Grey's Anatomy because she reminds me for myself a lot and also 'cause she helped me come out~

But there's a lot of characters I absolutely love...

6. Au.Quicksilver

Alucard from Hellsing. I can relate well, scarily enough.

7. Edra

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wonder from the Host "the book" the movie is all right, but that is more of a love story. But the soul aka the wonder is about personal streangth, and a longing to figure out who she is.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have a few that I particularly like enough, to consider them a favorite. But, if I have to choose one, and only one:

[​IMG]

Princess Azula, of the Fire Nation

As posted elsewhere:

Why:
    Angelic but wild? Devilish but charming? Manipulates fire and lightning, like it was a children's card game?

Where to even begin with the Fire Nation Princess...

Azula is one of several female characters, I believe, who are exceptionally written, in any medium. This is branching off from the point of this thread, but it needs to be said. Avatar: The Last Airbender, is a very entertaining series. That established (where's my money, Nickelodeon?), Azula is intelligent, effective, and strong. She is independent and dedicated. In other words, she's a bad [CENSORED]. That was said in the most endearing manner possible, I assure you.

However, for as talented and as powerful as she is, Azula is still rendered helpless in certain realms of her life. For one, she has issues with her parents, something I can relate to. Two, she finds meaningless and small conversation, tiresome and a waste of time, as she would rather be discussing something meaningful, deeper. She doesn't quite fit in, with anyone else, so it pushes her to rely only on herself. In a proper dosage, this can build character, even make one self reliant. But, too much, and the foundation will give way, and you will be a broken mess. I relate to that, both, the not quite fitting in, and the balancing of intention vs action.

But what really makes Azula someone I would like to be, is the potential she possesses. If only she would direct them towards something more... humane. Glimpses are shown, here and there, but they are always engulfed by her stoic front. To be able to do remarkable good, but also capable of tremendous malice, would be a fascinating storm to be able to experience; but with the actual ability to put them into action.

Azula is calm, cool, and collected -- the Three C's.
    She is determined, disciplined, and deadly -- the Three D's.
    She is intelligent, indomitable, and intense -- the Three I's.

I could go on and on, with selecting trios of words that all begin with the same letter, but that would make me look more dorky than I aim to be, right now!

[​IMG]
    LOL!

If I had to describe why I like Azula, in less than two sentences. I would say, the obvious things, her efficiency and talent, which allows Azula -- backed by her raw potential and remarkable skills - to get things done. But what makes me really like Azula is, those rare moments, when the Fire Nation's Princess becomes, simply, Azula, and how, even the best of us, have our klutz moments and lapses of expertise.

[​IMG]
    I would probably use this, as sad as it is to admit.

To elaborate; to see such a natural prodigy at their best, out of their element, and their limits pushed, is an incredible story to behold. To watch results achieved, objectives accomplished, and resources acquired, due to a ruthless opportunism, to watch 'fitting in' fizzle, 'being vulnerable' flop, and 'finding companionship' fail, due to an alienated upbringing, are captivating enough. However, it is in Azula's fall, that the character blossoms, in a beautifully tragic finale.

[​IMG]
    Anger never looked so pretty.

Despite all her power, all her talent, and all her merit, Azula is still ruled by her fragile core. To block out the pain of her life, the Fire Nation Princess surrounds herself with praise and instills herself with conquests, be they a new technique, a piece of knowledge, or capturing a rival Nation's capital city -- something an entire war-waging Nation could not -- and adds it to her, already impressive, resume. But with each wall of success, and reminder of superiority, Azula isolates herself from the possibilities of life. Those fragments of it that, ideally, we all pine for. Love, acceptance, and happiness. Azula does not have these, because these bound her to something -- something that could be used to weaken her, to possibly even set her back. Feeling isolated, she has no choice but to always take care of herself, because it is all that she truly has. Fear simply provides the illusion, people surround her because they actually want to.

[​IMG]
    Beautiful and Powerful, yet so Fragile.

Just seeing even the best come crashing down, is both fascinating and humbling. Especially if, you can bend fire and lightning, to your will.

9. BornAnew

Olivia Pope - Scandal

She is fierce, determined, flawed & passionate. REally really like how the character has been developed!

10. wdtgg

Out Status:
    A few people
    My favourite fictional character ever was Sherlock Holmes because he is very observant and analytic, as I am. More recently Kate Beckett because she is determined and has to overcome a big loss in her life, as I had to.

11. PurpleGrey

Ah. That's like asking what my favorite quote is out of all that exist in the world. Too hard! I will list a few.

Otori Amane from Strawberry Panic
    Tina Carlyle from The Mask, what a twist!
    Craig Toomey from The Langoliers
    Osaka from Azumanga Daioh

Really, you'd have to ask my favorite in each fictional universe. For instance, low on my list, but worth mentioning is Floorey from Pee-wee's Playhouse. The frigging FLOOR talks!

12. Hatsune Miku

for it's it's a tie between Kurumi Tokisaki (Date A Live), Bilbo Baggins (The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings) and Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)

13. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

[​IMG]

Why did I choose Gandalf the Grey?

Perhaps because he is who I hope to be in a sense.

Strong in heart and true to one's purpose. Exposed to evil and experiences of great trauma and yet refuses to be tainted by it or allow others to be. Is kind, humorous and gentle to those who matter and can reprimand Kings and Stewards alike (And gets away with it). He interacts with a diverse multi-creature of peoples and knows each of their customs, traditions and languages flawlessly despite being from the Valinor. His mind is as sharp as the blade he wields in battle and his fighting skills do not mirror the body he occupies. He's humble and allows the illusion of frailty brought on by a cloak of grey and he teaches humility to others. He is a teacher and a counselor and tries his best to help people without actually walking them from point A to B. He's taught me that it's OK cry, to not know everything and to take a breather to gain my bearings.

But most of all, whenever I get down in the dumps of emotional turmoil and I feel so frustrated in life and question myself, I always hear this in my mind:
    'So do I,' said Gandalf, and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

It's like a gentle rebuke to get off my ass, wipe my tears and think because I have that luxury. The darkness will pass and the sun will shine all the brighter - that's what I've learned from my Dear Friend, Gandalf. :3

#13 MindvsHeart, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  14. Acm

Acm Guest

Dr. John Watson from the Sherlock Holmes stories, Charlie Kelly from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and Cecil Palmer from Welcome to Night Vale.
    I can't choose just one :lol:

15. Candace

CANDACE FLYNN

Lisa Simpson, Double D from Ed, Edd, n Eddy, Ash Ketchum, and possibly Brock too :lol:.

From TV shows:

Rochelle from Everybody Hates Chris :lol:

16. Ryujin

I wouldn't exactly call her calm, cool OR collected.

I like Wesley Crusher from Star Trek TNG but Shiroe from Log Horizon probably beats him as being an awesome character.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2014 at 07:26 PM ----------

Do you want me to explain or no?

#16 Ryujin, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  17. ilovekat

ilovekat Guest

Easy it has to be Santana Lopez from glee, she has sass,humour ad she is soooo hot!

18. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aloysius X.L. Pendergast is just too cool for school. Just an all around bad m'fr.

19. Criss

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Homer Simpson, forever and ever

(and Severus Snape too, always)

#19 Criss, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  20. Yosia

The protagonist from the story i started to write XD