1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recovering from being in the closet

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, Aug 18, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

For those out you who are completely out and proud, how long did it take you to come out to yourself, come out of the closet, and eventually become completely comfortable with your sexuality?

I've been out to myself now for just under 4 months, and I can say that I've changed a lot. I've been out to a few people for about 3 months. I wanna get to that point where I'm completely comfortable with my sexuality, and where I don't care AT ALL what other people think.

I should also add that prior to coming out to myself, I was in the closet (lying to myself) for almost 8 years.

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew I was queer pretty early on--the only real question was whether I was bi enough to just find a girl. It just seemed like it would be simpler. I dated girls in high school and college and it was... fine. Then in college a guy I was interested in kissed me and it was like lightning--my legs literally gave out--and I knew I was just gay. All the conflictedness melted away--and there had been a lot of it (I tried to kill myself my senior year in high school). At that moment I pretty much accepted it internally immediately. But I had a friend whose parents had disowned him and my parents are very religious so I made the conscious decision not to tell them until I was graduated and financially independent. I pretty much put it all on hold for a year or so until I graduated--I really love my parents and respect them a great deal and while the idea of having a whole secret mental life seemed palatable having a whole secret actual life just seemed like too much. So I graduated, told them--they were fine by the way (I really shouldn't have waited but I understand why I did and have forgiven myself )--and then just stepped out into my new life. Seriously within a month or two everyone knew and I was dating.

3. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    the hardest time I had was for people to accept am gay I couldnt handle the rejection from the people closest to me. it put me in a bad place for sometime . the fact that I suffer from mood swings dint help at all. All that my dad did was blame my mood swings on being a queer 'his words not mine' its now got to a point where I couldnt care less what he thinks .