1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Degrading terms?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bolt35, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey guys, i'm wondering what are some of the terms that you think, in your opinion of course, are degrading to the LGBT community? aside from the general "f*ggot". i had a conversation with an Australian person and he said that the term "poof" was a bit degrading in their side of the country.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whenever somebody calls gay consensual sex sodomy or buggery it pisses me off a bit.

3. Yosia

People say 'puff/poof' in England and its quite annoying.

And the terms 'tranny' and 'shemale' really annoy me.

#3 Yosia, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  4. Acm

Acm Guest

Poof, queer, fairy, dyke, tranny and shemale are all sort of offensive I think

5. Candace

I don't like the term poof. It makes it seem like all gay people are girly fairies and stuff, and that's not really nice. Dyke and tranny, not cool either. Fairy, for the same reason why I don't like the term poof, and shemale...you can ponder as to why I'd find that a bit offensive. I don't as much of a problem with queer and I only use it with my queer friends.

For example, I have a queer best friend. I don't mean that in any degrading form at all.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I find the terms dyke, fag, tranny, shemale hurtful .:tantrum:
    What's a poof? :confused:

#6 stocking, Aug 18, 2014
  7. Acm

Acm Guest

I probably should specify I only consider queer offensive when it's used by a straight person in a bad way, like people still talk about "the queers" in a negative way. If it's used by other LGBT people I don't care

8. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I only have a little anecdote regarding this...thus far, the only folks who have called me a 'f*ggot' were this group of quite mean gay guys; I was leaving the gay club, and I could hear them from the open-air balcony above (they were saying it in a nasty context, doesn't bear repeating). Thus far, no straight person has actually called me anything, the worst I've had for dressing in tighter looking clothes and wearing my gold ear studs, has been a few raised eyebrows (I like tops from the women's section, I choose ones I can just 'get away with', that are on the borderline between masculine and feminine). How ironic is that?

#8 Damien, Aug 18, 2014
  9. wolf of fire

What annoys me the most is when someone sits in a heated house on their sofa in their machine made jeans with a china cup of tea then they fiddle with their glasses and call us "unnatural".

10. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL i can imagine quite a few people that do this.

yea i can agree with most of you. for me, i think the context matters more then the term itself. i mean poof is also a fairy oddparents character, and the f word, as a group of tree sticks. gay consensual sex as sodomy? how the hell did someone come up with that one?

11. 741852963

Well there are so many offensive terms: queer, faggot, fag, poofter/poof/puff, bender, fairy etc.

And thats ignoring the multitude of anal sex related derogatory homophobic words that get uttered here.

Hopefully they will fade away with homophobia, but unfortunately some are being reclaimed and cemented into everyday lexicon which is a real punch to the gut.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2014 at 11:52 AM ----------

A derogatory term for a gay person similar to queer. Its also used by association to suggest general weakness "that man is such a poof" i.e. "that man is so weak he must be gay".

It's a nasty term, no idea of its origins.

12. Katbot

Its kinda weird but people calling me dyke, or faggot kinda rolls off my back. I can take it with out a thought. Queer doesnt bother me in the slightest, and tranny irks me at best.

But it freaking kills me when people call me perverted.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the term "poof" or "poofter" and find it hilarious. Along with "light in the loafers". And I find "faggot" amusing simply because people really think that calling someone a bundle of twigs is an insult. Honestly, the word "queer" has a much more derogatory meaning by dictionary definitions.

I am mildly annoyed by "sodomy" or "homosexual" more because of the dripping contempt and disdain (often out of the mouths of deeply closeted faggots) that usually accompanies them.

14. Ryujin

Deeply closeted faggots. Like bundles of sticks but in Narnia?

I dislike few words really. Until a few weeks ago, I would have found the word "Queer" offensive, but now, I find it's the best way for me to describe the way I am.

15. Hexagon

Words only have power that we give them. I'm more concerned with the intentions behind them.

16. Ryujin

Someone should quote that.
    Oh.
    Wait.

17. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm offended only when someone means to be degrading. Just because my friend says, "Stop being a poof and drink it..." (alcoholic reference btw), doesn't mean I find it degrading. Some jerk on the street yelling, "You #*&$# poof burn in hell," that's a different story.

Hell, my GF still looks at me funny when I yell, "God d* it *insert gay comment*" in the car because I don't believe in God and I drool over hard bodied men. Sometimes, I actually drool and I don't mean to. So. Yeah. I agree with Hexagon.

With that said, I am annoyed and offended more with politically correct wording in the media regarding the LGBT community more than anything. Just say anal and gay, please. :frowning2:

#17 Ada M7, Aug 18, 2014
  18. Randomcloud

Faggot, dyke, fairy, etc...i find it offensive and dehumanising, like, we're people. That's it

19. Gregarity

Most slurs bother me except most used towards gays? Sodomite and faggot are pretty bad, but me and a friend casually call each other "feg" and l call my close friends queers or "big gays" out of endearment because they're coincidentally all somewhere under the voluminous LGBT umbrella. I always ask them if it's okay for me to jokingly call them those things before l make it a habit

20. NDark

I've only ever been called a 'degrading' term once – faggot – and it just didn't bother me. Actually, since I didn't look gay at the time, I was thrilled that I was insulted – at least it meant that somebody acknowledged that I wasn't straight. In a way, I took it as a compliment. So, yep. I take degrading terms as compliments, like, "Nice hair," or, "Cool shirt." Maybe I won't in the future, but for now, BRING ON TEH INSULTS!!

Edit: Oh my gosh, I wanna be called a poof! That's so adorable! :3

#20 NDark, Aug 18, 2014