1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ugh, i don't want to work on Haiti :(

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Straight ally, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I'm a civil engineering student, and i will graduate by june. On the positive side of things...Canada is recruiting people from 50 different professions! and civil engineering is among them! And i have only heard positive things about Canada, so this might be great, i really want to work there.

problem is... althought they will need young professionals, just recently graduated is to young for them, i probably will need job experience, and i don't know how much ¿a year? ¿2 years? ¿3 years? i don't know really.

But wait, that is not really the problem. the thing is that at my country (Domininan Republic) the construction industry is going slow, making difficult to find jobs for civil engineers inside the country.

In my case my father is working for the company Estrella at the neighboring country, Haiti, and he have good reputation at the company, and the company needs young professionals, so i will probably end working there, specialy because my internship was 40 days there.

How is this a problem? you might ask, i mean, i have the priviledge of actually getting the opportunity of getting a job right on, a job with a salary that is aproximately twice or thrice what i would usually get as a recently graduated. The thing is that, if its only a year that might be difficult but bearable, on the other hand i'm scared of working there for 2 or 3 years.

Here is the reason: Engineers there work from monday to saturday plus sunday morning, you live in a camp in middle of nowhere, no places to go at night or at sunday evening, except for ONE restaurant and from time to time the beach. so practicaly, there is nowhere to go, socialization is mostly limited to socializing with coworkers and some times visitors. The only exception being the 3 days and 4 nights that we get every 21 days, where we return to Dominican Republic, but that is not much actually.

If i least i where a party animal, good at socializing, and outgoing, but i'm actually shy and with interest that make me incompatible with most people, i already felt kind of trapped at my country, not knowing where to go, not knowing my place, my niche, having a thirst for traveling to a big city in the first world, or even a medium sized one. But in Haiti the problem is worst. 2 years or worst 3 years that would be the horror, i would feel like i lost 3 years of youth (years 24, 25 and 26)

2. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

do it for. a year.

3. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I think will do just that, work for a year, save money, then i will see what i can do about canada

---------- Post added 23rd Aug 2014 at 11:27 AM ----------

Thanks for reading and responding. By the way, totally unrelated but: your username'gay axotlolt' is inspired somehow by Julio Cortazar short story?

4. Candace

Just work there for a year, see if you like it, and then go work in Canada.