1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

END OF EARTH REALLY....well maybe lol

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WhiteFox, Sep 10, 2008.

1. WhiteFox

WhiteFox Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fJ6PMfnz2E

On sep 10 a group of scientists will attempt to recreate a Black hole and supposedly make the same environment right after the big bang... and it could do damage maybe. its kinda crazy jus watch if interested lol

2. Janvier

Naw, they're only turning it on today.
    I think they'll send a few particles at almost light-speed one way and then the other.
    The real collisions will take place on October 12.

I guess we could die if the mini-blackhole gets sucked into the middle of the earth sucking us all into another dimension, instead of it evaporating like it should.

Listen to this guy, he's batshit insane:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt1Yo610lG0[/youtube]

EDIT: check out these awesome pics of the beast itself

#2 Janvier, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  3. Janvier

Well according to engadget the LHC has already been turned on.
    Click on the link for updates on what's going on and a video.

(Sorry for the double post..)

4. RENThead

on the raido this arvo, they were saying 'if' the world ends (its 2 comedians who run the raido station) what were you going to do for the last 50mins (because it was 4:10 at the time)
    and all these people were calling up saying, im to late to travel, so im gunna go get smashed...

5. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [headdesk]

All the media sensationalism surrounding this made me so annoyed.

THE BLOODY THING DIDN'T EVEN RUN AT ITS FULL POWER TODAY. They just sent a couple of protons around the thing..

And the only danger of this is if the beam manages to break out of the machine itself.. And either way it's 100M (~300ft) underground so it'll just collide with some rock and not cause the end of the world.

>.> Now let's just wait until they do some actual experiments, like finding antimatter or dark matter, not just hovering over a test run.

6. Helen

Helen Guest

The reason it's got so much publicity is because there's an absolutely MINISCULE risk of it actually happening. Seriously.

My form tutor told me this earlier: It's more likely that all the air particles in the room you're in will decide to all go to one corner, thus making you suffocate, than the Hadron Collider causing a black hole to swallow the earth up.

And I was talking to Tom (yes, EC Tom ^_^) yesterday and he said that he'd been keeping up with the progress of this thing for ages, and the worst thing it'll do is create tiny black holes that will evaporate after swallowing a few little atoms.

My form tutor also told me that the Hadron Collider is going to take about a year to warm up, because they'll start running particles round it, and there'll probably be a few kinks that need ironing out, then they'll run particles the OTHER WAY, then at the same time, THEN they'll start the collisions. The whole process will apparently take ages.

7. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The mini black holes are correct which will envelop themselves, but they will NOT be lare enough to cause any physical damage to the earth.
    And I've been reading on the LHC website that it's going to be more like 4 years until it runs at its full power of 3000GeV.

It isn't plausable for it to make a black hole large enough to suck up earth.

And I made a tiny mistake in my last post. ^^; It's 175M underground, not 100.

(Syncrotrons/Particle Accelerators are one of my extremely random interests. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Gotta love physics)

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was sitting in psychology waiting to be sucked into the unknown. It was a boring lesson and the CERN gits couldn't even cause the earth to shake a bit so the lesson was interrupted. Meanieeeees :frowning2:

I was expecting the UK to suddenly get destroyed as soon as the lesson was over. That's the luck I would have. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. JT

JT

I hopped on EC briefly this morn before I drove to school and read the background. I was surprised that I hadn't hear of this, and we talked about it in my Economics class.

10. pirateninja

:eek:

ZOMG.

*twilight zone music*

11. Woah, those miyan (sp?) could be right..... oooohhh *spooky sounds*

Pah.

12. Quitex

Quitex Guest

That is the same thing I thought about.

:eek:

*more twilight zone music*

13. Helen

Helen Guest

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEu_SE77GpI[/YOUTUBE]

Stephen Hawking said it.

I'm now completely at ease about the whole thing. Phenomenal man...

14. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well he didn't say anything. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Agreed, the man is obviously knowledgeable.
    I don't know really what to think about the whole thing.
    I do think however, the money would've been better spent elsewhere.

Although, i did find myself in Math 2204 this morning wishing for any kind of interruption.

#14 Proud1p4, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
  15. xxAngelOnFirexx

omg! i heard about this is school today and i'm so freaked! they could be wrong, they could be right...

16. Steam Giant

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...the-world-will-not-end-today-115875-20730731/

I'd also like to note that this has become a multi-generational project for the scientists working on it. This is the life work of many people quite smarter than any of us here. If there's any real global danger here, why would they be spending so much time and so many resources on this project?

And as an aside, is anyone else absurdly sick of the whole "doomsday in 2012" thing yet? I can't wait for January 1st, 2013, just so we can get over this damned thing. It's the millennium bug all over again -.-

17. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure there will be plenty more after 2012. 2013 has the number 13 in it. ZOMG. :eek:

There seems to be more judgement days scheduled than there are normal days lately. The world is turning cynicalllllllllllllllll. :help:

18. Daniel

The anti-matter created in the black hole would be canceled out with the matter in the surrounding area. It is too small to destroy the planet. Basically a little hole might exist in France and that is it.

19. EthanS

EthanS Guest

In france?? i thoughts its done in sweden

20. Daniel

France/Switzerland.