1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you feel different from your family for reasons other than your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by the haunted, Aug 19, 2014.

1. the haunted

I've always felt like the black sheep of my family. My views on politics, religion, and the world in general are completely different than theirs.

I tried to think of why that might be, then it occurred to me: I spend a lot more time on the internet than anyone in my family. I get to see perspectives and opinions of people all around the world, while they are typically only seeing whatever Texas has to offer with a smaller amount of influence from outsiders.

It's not even feeling different from just my family. It's feeling different from people who don't use the internet much. I think of how they can be so ignorant, but then I realize it's just their lack of internet usage.

I'm so thankful for the internet. I feel like it's made me a more knowledgable, well-rounded individual. It's opened me up to so many different things that I don't hear about or see in the "real world".

If you do feel different, do you "blame" the internet? If not, why do you think you're different?

2. Candace

I feel like I'm different due to how my mom perceives the world. How she doesn't have a job, yet is going on vacation to Yellowstone National Park on Friday. How I have to watch *her dog* every time she goes on vacation. So she and I don't see eye-to-eye for many reasons, not just for sexuality.

Also, I like geography, maps, and the latter. I could never convince my mom in a million years how they're cool and stuff.

3. Ryujin

I disagree with my dad on whether Magnum is prog rock or not.

I disagree with my mum on my very vocal dislike of religion, the amount of time I use my computer, use of the word "stupid" and the phrase "Shut Up".

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I am so dramatically differently from my family, it is depressing. I sometimes thought it was because of the internet but my brother grew up with it and my mom uses it heavily too and they're still.... themselves. I think it's maybe my depression that split me apart, honestly. It gave me a sense of empathy and ability to relate that really lack.

5. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    cant believe how different i am from dad were like a million miles apart now

6. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dealt with my initial (4-5 years old) anxiety and emotional problems by fixating on reading, especially history. Every time I make a social step forwards I feel like I end up taking two steps back though. Sigh. No one else in my family reads much at all except for technical manuals. For anyone else that knows what I mean, this leaves often not much to say to other people when you are never sure if they even know what you are talking about.

7. Yosia

My family are really quite social so they dont understand me being an introvert. And me and my dad couldnt get anymore different. We also have different views on some topics.

8. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Nope. We generally agree on many things. I am very lucky.

9. One Man Army

Yes, and it's not because of the internet.

Although in many ways I am similar to both of my parents, I don't share their religious views and everything that entails. We are all 'thinkers' in my family but I'm prepared to go further than everyone else and question the very root of my beliefs.

I have walked away from Evangelical Christianity but nobody else in my immediate family has done the same, and I don't think any of them ever will.

10. Thedistra

I find that I'm completely different from my mothers side, with similarities to my dad's. My mother's side is a bit lets just say nasty, so I'm fine with being different from them.

11. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Always. My mom's the black sheep of our family, but I'm even more so. My mom's side of the family is a completely separate unit from my dad's side and I like to keep it that way, but I've never really felt like a part of either of them. Political beliefs, religious beliefs, sexuality, education level, the whole shebang.

It is partly because of the people I've been able to meet over the internet. I'm a small-town introvert so being able to talk to people of different races, sexualities, genders, religions, and worldviews helped me to break away from all the stereotypical BS my family filled my head with.

12. Formality

It really surprises me how different I feel from my family and anyone on my fathers side. I think my deep depression last year helped make me a better and kinder person. I've gotten a whole other perspective on things ever since I came out to myself and allowed myself yo do things I'd have never done before. I was always different, I've just been supressing myself for all these years.

It's weird how different we can be from the people closest to us in life.

13. Toast8971

Very different, because I'm adopted though. Like in all the family pictures everyone is white and then there's me... looking very tan.

14. timo

Yep. Ranging all the way from my views on politics and the way the world should be to my taste in music and the way I dress. We're completely different persons. It could be the influence of the internet but my sister spends all day online as well and she's the epitome of blandness.

Me and my parents get along quite well though. It used to be nothing but shit between us, but it's gotten so much better after I moved out. Me and my sister... well not so much. She's too different and there's nothing I can talk about to her.

15. PICollins91

I'd say we are about the same except I'm a lot more cynical than my Mom when it comes to politics, she really buys into the whole "Conservative rah-rah" thing and talks about all this stuff she reads on Facebook regarding politics. I just nod and smile, she's backs me on everything in life no questions so I don't question her on it.

16. Hexagon

Yes, profoundly. Religion, politics, interests, all that. I think the most significant thing, though, is what we care about. My family, as far as I can tell, cares about family, money, personal satisfaction and so on. I just don't fit in with that.

17. Jenna0780

I feel different than half of my family. I wouldn't blame anything. I've always had a curious nature about me, which led me to crave finding new things for myself. That half of my family is more laid back than I am, and they just want to settle down in the middle of nowhere for peace and quiet, while I'm viewing the world as my playground. It's not anyone's or anything's fault. I just always wanted more.

#17 Jenna0780, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  18. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OH YES! Good question.

Yes. In many, many ways. I cant say I'm particularly close to anybody, I used to be with my mom but that's faded off now. I see a lot of myself in my dad; yet he has these moments where he pees all over himself; his really quite weird fascination for commenting on homosexuality. Or anybody who he perceives as gay. Two men in the cinema. Gay. Two men in a car together. Gay. Yet he's not the type of person to switch the channel over if he sees two guys kissing on the TV. When he was my age, was told by my grandparents they thought he was gay. Ouch. He has 8 kids now!

It was my 3rd youngest sisters birthday today and I couldn't help but feel really quite detached from my grandparents and my aunts. They have a totally different outlook on life; they don't have any real interests or ambitions and they think the world ends in the tiny village they live in. Although, to be fair most of them have a 21st century life outlook on my mums side at least.

I think for the most of my family they've been trapped in a mire of domesticity which just isn't for me. Which is lucky - no little accidents inside my belly!

Then for my friends - most are happy to settle for an average life, I want more than that

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

In general, yes. We... have our moments, though.

I know you want examples, but I don't know if you're ready for that novel, LOL!

20. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So ridiculously the same.