1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Space or Two?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DMark69, Aug 19, 2014.

1. DMark69

Back in the dark ages, when I was in JR High, 8th Grade to be specific, I was taught to use 2 spaces after a period on a manual (not electric) Olympia Typewriter. This was the standard per our textbook at the time. I see a lot of debate where it seems to irritate people now, but those of us who learned 30 years ago have it so ingrained I don't think I will ever use just one space after a period. The MLA Handbook uses single space after a period in their examples, and style manual, but also says "there is nothing wrong with using two spaces after concluding punctuation marks".

What do you think? Do you use 1 or 2 spaces after a period?

2. Yosia

I only use one. But for emoticons i use two ^.^

3. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

I do this. Because then it tries to correct me and it's annoying :slight_smile: and yay!!! I'm first :slight_smile:

^^^i wasn't first -.- haha

#3 C06122014, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  4. AlamoCity

I use one nowadays, but I would use two whenever I used my grandpa's old Smith Corona.

5. Hexagon

One. Any more than that is a waste of space.

You only have one space after a period in what you wrote above.

6. DMark69

Actually I typed two. The forum seems to try to correct that to one.

7. Candace

I only use one space. That's what I was taught :slight_smile:.

8. Ryujin

When using a computer I type 2 spaces without even thinking, like muscle memory. When using my phone however, I most often use 1 space because my phone auto puts a space after a full stop.

9. DMark69

Anyone know when the standard changed? It seems younger people than I were taught one space. I am so ingrained now, that I probably won't ever change. I learned to type in 1983 after all...

---------- Post added 19th Aug 2014 at 02:08 PM ----------

To help me feel even older, the class title was "typing/computing" The typing part was on manual olympia typewriters. The computing part was on Commodore PET computers with a 1MHz clock, and 4-8K of RAM in each. Yes K, not M, not G... Commodore PET - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

one and i will kill those who use two

this is a lawyer

11. Hexagon

Well, maybe that should tell you something.

You say it's too ingrained. I say bullshit. You can always change. Not saying there's any particular need to in this case. It hardly matters either way, particularly since there's no paper being used. But the attitude irritates me.

12. timo

I read an article about this earlier today and wondered why anyone would use two spaces, but this thread proves it's apparently a thing.

WHY. It seems so useless. Not to mention that all that blank space looks super ugly.

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i am typing. normally. seems legit.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I type two spaces, but only between periods. It looks strange, to me, to double space after an exclamation or question. That was how I was taught, years ago. However, that isn't the reason I still do this. I still double space after periods because, if a paper is long enough, it adds length to it. This allows me to, more easily, reach a page minimum.

Now, why do I do it, like on a forum? I like the way double space looks, but only following a period

15. DMark69

Im sorry I irritate you Hexagon. It is just a habit whenever I type a period I hit the space bar twice. When it was taught to me it was all on paper, no one used word processors. Even the last English class I had, only about 2 years ago wanted all assignments turned in on paper, and never said anything about 2 spaces after periods. It is still acceptable in the MLA after all.

As for why it was implemented, it was probably because of the monospaced fonts on typewriters. A typewriter typed 10 characters per inch, weather they were the letter "i" or "W" they used the same amount of space. The double space was introduced to improve readability. It is not really needed anymore, but I never even heard of single spaces until the last couple years when I saw this being discussed. I don't even know when the standard changed.

I know there are other changes too, my class called it typing, I understand many schools now call it keyboarding. I have been doing it so long, it looks right to me, and I will continue to do it out of habit, weather or not I use paper.

16. Edra

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Two spaces is what I was told to do in school. I have not changed this and I never will. But as you stated in the MLA hand book one is what they tell you. But two is accepted, its most likely just who your typing teacher was. In time it will most likely just go to one so putting two is going out of style.

17. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember from Elementary school it was one space, that would have been in the early 90s, still in the era of fixed width fonts being the norm. I don't recall ever having that specifically contradicted, though I do know HTML will compress ANY form of whitespace to a single space, unless hardcoded with something like a <BR> or <CR> tag.

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two spaces after a full stop. The standard hasn't changed at all.

I wouldn't expect most computer users to appreciate or understand the typing standards that you and I learned, but it remains good secretarial and administrative procedure to leave two spaces.

19. Hexagon

I didn't say you irritated me. Just the attitude some people have that they can't change. I've changed habits before. All it requires is putting a bit of thought into what you do.

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't give an exact year, but it started in the computer era. The reason for two spaces after a period on a typewriter was to increase readability with monospaced fonts (where each character/space is the same exact width, and which where the standard for almost every typewriter ever made). Proportional fonts (each character has its own width depending on how much space the character actually needs), however, don't need the 2 spaces, and thus once they became standard on computers, the standard began changing. The change seemed to start in circles worried about doing page layout work, but seems to have spread.

Like others, I learned the 2 spaces rule years back, but have managed to reprogram myself to type only one space.