1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving hints through facebook?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MassiveExtract, Aug 19, 2014.

?

Facebook

1. Be more aggressive, say you're gay!

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Excellent choice, keep giving hints.

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. I'm not sure, be careful.

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Don't do it, keep it to yourself.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I'm a bit frustrated. Mostly everyone thinks I'm straight, and I'm not coming out publicly screaming, "I'm gay" so I've decided to do something. I'm giving small hints through facebook, mainly through my likes and comments that might give it away.

For the past two weeks I've been going to gay clubs, I posted two pictures with my friends (none are gay), but people still don't get it. In fact today a person told me "Uuuuu I saw you with that girl *wink." It said a gay bar, one of us has to be gay!

I just posted a status talking about how when you accept yourself you'll be much happier and in my "watching now" link added the movie "Prayers for Bobby." (lgbt film)

I feel odd doing it, but I am actually watching the movie and it does motivate me to do so, however I feel like I might be overdoing it at this point, yet, since I'm not coming out publicly, is this a good alternative?

#1 MassiveExtract, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I tried something similar. I was amazed to find that it didn't seem to work at all. I've been 'out' on social media for probably over a year, yet when I spent last week with about 35 friends that I haven't seen in a while none of them seemed to know. I spent the whole week repeatedly coming out to people, which was rather tiresome!

I generally think that it's a good 'tactic', but unfortunately a lot of people are just very unobservant.

3. awesomeness

The funny thing is, usually only other gay people will get small hints like that.

4. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is a group something like "Like this if marking nothing for preference means you're gay."

5. the haunted

I do the same thing. I'm not going to come out on my wall that I'm gay simply because I don't want that kind of attention. I don't want people to comment with questions or publicly humiliate me in some way. I prefer to make those coming out conversations private.

I don't have my "Interested in" visible to anyone but me. I'm open about my sexuality, but only if it's prompted in conversation. I'm not one to just bring up my queerness in conversation.

As for giving hints, I like some gay Facebook pages like Lizzy the Lezzy (it doesn't get any more obvious than that) and Trevor Project. Hannah Hart and Tyler Oakley's pages too if those even count as hints. I actively like things from those pages. I have The Best of Tumblr page liked and some people see that as pretty gay lol.

You can see one side of my pride bracelet in my profile picture, but I feel like only other queer people would notice that.

On Instagram I have the girls holding hands and the rainbow emojis in my bio lol. Along with other relevant emojis.

---------- Post added 19th Aug 2014 at 07:39 PM ----------

Haha if I see that a girl I'm wondering about has her's hidden I like to think that she's gay or questioning.

6. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's funny, I try hard to stay in the closet, but when I posted in 2013 during Pride month, a status about supporting gay marriage, a few people actually asked me why I flipped flopped on the issue after being opposed to gay marriage for so long and a few asked if I was gay or bi (I said no, I was and am still too scared to come out).

I got enough people poking around that I stopped talking about gay rights for a while.

When people asked, I'd say I didn't care about that issues.

Though, last few weeks I started posting some pro-gay stuff, which again made some people poke around, but mainly I had a lot of surprised comments like "A Right winger supports gays rights?!!?"

I think the more you try and give hints the less people take you seriously, and the more you try to hide it the more people poke around for the truth.

I say if you are comfortable w/ yourself...then just come out. Kicking around the bush doesn't work.

7. wdtgg

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been considering doing something similar but I'm afraid only fellow lgbt friends will catch it, and honeslty I wouldn't like any narrow-minded people to bring a drama to my wall.
    I'm out on tumblr.
    That said I've been considering to do vlog on my birthday (23rd sept/Bi Pride day), either wearing a pink t-shirt, a blue jacket and a purple necklace or playing Lady Gaga's Born this way (I was never a Lady Gaga or any pop music fan), anyways the subject of the video wouldn't be coming out but to bring awareness of a physical disability I have which is more common that people think but still not many people know about.