1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have an immigration question I've been wondering about ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Aug 20, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Can parents refuse or prevent their immigrant children from getting citizenship just to punish their child and make them dependent on them and force the child to do what they want . So can one parent force the American parent to refuse to give their child citizenship ?:confused:
    An dangle it over their heads to get the child to do whatever they wanted ?

2. Candace

I don't believe so. For example, my mom is Canadian. That means that I'm eligible to become American-Canadian. But my mom can't change the fact that she's Canadian born and my mother. That being said, I don't believe that it can be taken away due to the fact that it's always certain and can never be taken away to begin with.

3. AKTodd

Not entirely sure of the circumstances here, but my thinking is that:

If the child is the biological child of the American, then they are automatically a citizen, no paperwork or process required.

If the child was born a foreign national and adopted by Americans, I would expect that citizenship would be conferred as part of the adoption process.

If one parent is not a citizen and had the child before marrying the American parent, I'm not sure what the status of the child would be or what would be involved in making them a citizen, but I strongly suspect that the immigration process that would look over the adults would also cover the child so they couldnt somehow avoid becoming a citizen. If the parents somehow conspired to hide the child from the process, it would be the parents who would be punished, not the child.

The short answer would be 'no'.

Todd