1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it bad have people call you by a different name instead of your real name ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Aug 20, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Lately I've been telling the new people I've met ,that my name is Melody and I have not told them my real name at all or that I don't like it ,is this a bad thing ? .Also could this affect in a me badly and make a woman think i'm not trust worthy for telling her my actual name .?:confused:

2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not at all you don't have to be called by what you were called. You can choose what you want to be addressed as. I got into a big argument with a new coworker once because he had a stupid thing where he had to develop a nickname for everyone. Eventually I told him I would rather him call me nothing at all if he won't stop with the one he wanted to give me.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see a problem with it. And if a woman thinks you're untrustworthy over it, she's analyzing it way too hard.

4. Edra

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No I would not think its bad, but if you want you can always say that is your chosen name. Most people will just leave it at that.

5. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've gone by Kai for years now. Gets better reactions than my real name.

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting. I've told people to call me "Nash" before, because it's my middle name and it's very cool sounding, but it's still technically part of my name, so I don't feel deceitful when I tell people to call me it.

But you should tell people to call you what you want to be called; if you want to be called "Melody", whether that's your name or not, then I don't think it's a problem.

7. Acm

Acm Guest

No. I think if someone wants to use a different name then they should be allowed to, because we don't get to choose our names at birth and if you don't like it then it's sort of unfair to be stuck with it all your life

8. AAASAS

Ya, I'd think someone was up to something for lying.

But I'm paranoid.

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just tell them "I'm Lex". It's not my real name, but it's the name I preferred to be called by. Nobody has had any problem with it. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no harm in it. If somebody asks/finds out it's not your legal name, you can very easily say that it's just what you prefer. It's not going to harm anyone, and only legal/medical authorities or anyone who needs bureaucratically correct records is going to have to know you by your legal name (and even your doctor can just call you Melody when they deal with you in person).

You're not harming anyone. It's a lovely name, and I don't think you should stop using it because it wasn't what was given to you at birth.

11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Some people have nicknames, some people like another name...
    this is not uncommon.

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

No. Though they might be curious as to why. If you explain it, then there's nothing else really left to say. If somebody finds that as grounds for terminating a relationship, well, they'd probably have found something else, just as simple, to cling to.

Some folks don't call me by my birth name, they use shorter variations of it, or nicknames. The only individuals who use my full first birth name, is family, formal functions, and the law. When I meet new people, they'll call me by this, too, but they, usually, always go to the shorter variation, eventually.

I didn't like it at first, but I was bestowed the nickname of "Candyman". I thought the individual was making fun of me, but I later came to find out, he called me that, because I was very good at always having money in my hands, like it just stuck to them. Also, he said my purple shirt reminded him of Willy Wonka.

I can't even be mad.

LOL.

13. Ivysaur

Of course not. Your name is a representation of your identity. If you're not comfortable with a name representing you, then you have every right to change it.

14. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course not. Some people just don't like their name or they prefer to be called by a nickname. I dated my girlfriend for a few months before I found out her name wasn't her legal name. It threw me, but I didn't feel lied to or betrayed. There was a kid in my high school who answered to a completely different name than his legal name. To the point where he wouldn't answer when a sub called his name during class until I told her that he preferred a different name.

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There was a guy at my school like that his name was Clarence, and people usually called him Clay I thought that was his real name and most of us didn't until ,a sub came and said Clarence then he got up and told him he didn't like to be called by that name .

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go by Trey. That's not my birth name (That name I absolutely hate) and it doesn't matter what other people think, it's my choice what I go by.

17. Candace

Everyone calls me by the shortened version of my first name. I particularly don't like my legal first name, but if you're say...a doctor, person interviewing, the latter and you have to use that name, then I won't mind. If you're one of my friends or someone my age, please call me "Chris", not "Christopher".

18. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Knew a Tobias that despised the name, went by 'Toby'. How many people know someone called Finn from Finland? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Ruthven

there's nuthin wrong with goin by another name then birthname. you have every right to give yourself another name, and really to me, it makes it even more valid and real then by goin by a name you didn't even choose and don't even like.

like there's this thing where your birthname is upheld as your "real name" and it's completely bullshit.

the actual name you go by and like, whether it's legally changed or not, can be your real name.

20. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner goes by his middle name and every once in a while his mother will refer to him by his given name and it takes me a moment to realize who she is talking about. She knows he goes by his middle name but sometimes forgets. I think as long as you are consistent it's not a problem. If Melody is your "real" name I don't think it really matters a bit that it isn't your legal given name. If on the other hand you are telling some people one name and others a different name that almost surely will come back to bite you eventually.