1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you learn about 'gay?'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NDark, Aug 20, 2014.

1. NDark

Recently, I tried to read this book (Boy Meets Boy) in which a boy learns about gayness when he is five and immediately knows that he is from the get-go. I laughed at the notion of learning about it so soon, but now I'm curious to know when others learned about it.
    So, at what age – and how – did you learn about the concept of gayness? Some of my bros told me about it when I was in grade six but I didn't fully understand the concept until I was thirteen. What about you guys?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The internet and people at school. Same with everything puberty related...Gee, thanks parents!

3. Edra

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sadly I grew up in the south in the middle of the bible belt no less. It was preached that it was a sin, and those who are will go to hell. That is how I learned about it most certainly not my view.

4. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From really ignorant people. My childhood was riddled with mortifying gaps in my knowledge. Embarrassment. :eusa_doh:

5. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember first hearing people use "gaylord" and "gay" as insults when I was 8. I had a vague idea of what it meant. It wasn't until I was 11 that I realized that I thought other boys at school were cute, and that's when I connected the word "gay" to myself.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ignorance from my parents my dad would say when women became extremely horny and couldn't find men to sleep with they slept with other women , I was also told that it was a sin as well and women were only suppose to be with men .
    my mom said lesbians were scary women that tried to turn other women gay like them .
    I was also told in general that gay people were sick and not well .

7. Candace

7th grade health class. I was like "wait a minute...my teacher might be on to something important here..." and then I considered it...

8. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't remember the exact moment but it was sometime in 3rd grade or before for me

9. NDark

Wow, I guess I learned it in a half-decent way after all... XD
    Also, Acm, don't think about the dog park. :wink:

10. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I actually really don't remember, but I know when I seriously learned about it as a concept that might actually, realistically apply to me is when an online creeper suggested it after I was totally NOT CRUSHING (crushing) on my math teacher in high school........

11. Ivysaur

I heard of the word "gay" in 5th grade when guys used it to describe Justin Bieber. I didn't really understand until late 6th/early 7th grade when a friend of mine came out as bi-. By then, I reflected on 5th grade and didn't understand why it was use as an insult.

12. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was 9 (wow...I'm old...that was in 2003), a girl told me that "gay" was a cuss word so I called a kid I hated gay, and that girl then told me what it actually meant lol

13. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Friends, I pretty much learned everything from friends, two of them specifically :lol:

14. glw

glw Guest

Heard it as an insult before 7th grade health class. I considered it but I was in serious denial at the time. Still trying to escape denial, but it's difficult. <sarcasm>thanks for telling me about it early enough...and paying so much attention to me...</sarcasm>

15. Mariliss

The Touhou fandom. :lol:
    "Wait... girls with girls is a thing?"
    "Maybe it's only a 2D girl thing."
    "Wait what's a waifu?"
    *intermission of hearing girls at school be disgusted by a certain Katy Perry song"
    "Oh. Well, waifus are 2D girls so.. I guess it's okay? I mean they're only 2D girls so.."
    "I guess Sakuya is my waifu kinda..>_> <_< It's okay right?"

I didn't really fully connect it to me (even when I had a crush on my best friend) until I saw something on the news and confirmed that it was a thing and that thing was part of me.
    Younger me loved complicating things in my head.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I knew from a very early age. I can remember other kids calling others "gay", as far back as second grade. I put two and two together, and a few years later, found out, for sure, by looking in a dictionary.

17. BreezyB

When i was in like third or second grade because my brother's favorite insults were to call me gay or a fag at first i didn't know what it was then he explained it to me and after that the insult always really angered me (i didn't know why) so he used it all the time

18. Ridiculous

My older brother and sister taught it to me when I was about 4 as a joke and I proceeded to charge around the house yelling it over and over while they were laughing. My mum made me to stop and told me what it meant then, I think. It is one of my earliest memories :lol:.

19. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

I don't remember the precise moment when I learned about the word 'gay', but I think it was quite early. I guess I heard that word from other people.

I knew I was gay when I was 12 or so. I just realised I was attracted to boys. At first, I was in denial though.

20. PurpleGrey

I remember being relatively young at the time. It was at some point in the summer. My brother and his friends threw the word around as an insult. I somehow caught on that it was something feminine. I don't know when it was that I fully understood what gay meant.