1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pro life vs pro choice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by maselalala, Aug 21, 2014.

?

pro life or pro choice

1. Pro-Life

15 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Pro-Choice

111 vote(s)
    88.1%
  1. maselalala

Which one are you for?

2. Yosia

Choice. I honestly cannot see a valid argument for pro-life.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jesus Christ, not another one of these.

No, I do not see anything wrong with an abortion.

No, it is not a public issue up for anyone's opinion.

No, it doesn't inherently involve the biological father; they should have no more say than a stranger if they're not involved with the pregnant person, and even then, their say should be limited to advice.

No, early-term foetuses do not feel pain unless medical science is terribly wrong over such a simple issue as when a nervous system develops.

Yes, it is only the choice of the pregnant person.

No, I will not accept "only in cases of rape, incest or danger to the parent," as a legitimate excuse, because those are either unenforceable or would lead to horrific restrictions which would effectively forbid abortion until it's too late to abort, anyway.

If you want to ban abortion, constructively help every single child, every single case of poverty, campaign for healthcare and free food and parental assistance. I still won't support you and won't be much kinder on you; those are things you should already support.

If you want to save lives, make sure those lives are more than just the foetuses.

4. Hexagon

What Aussie said.

5. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not up to me to tell any woman what she can or cannot do with her own body. It can only be her decision.

6. timo

Oh god here we go again.

I'm pro-choice, as every sensible person should be. For more: see Aussie's post.

7. Ridiculous

Pro-life is such a manipulative term isn't it.

8. Randomcloud

I can't say I'm comfortable with SOME abortion situations (eg. /late-term/ abortions) just because my little cousin was born extremely early (induced labor obviously) and the idea of a fetus his age being killed/terminated/whatever in the womb scares me. Can't help it.

But I am still pro-choice because my personal "experiences" shouldn't dictate how people live their lives. I would much rather mothers get abortions than have some dodgy coat hanger abortion and end up dying, have a kid who will grow up in a bad household or with some inherited disease, have to give up their education and future because they're not ready for a child, etc. Abortion isn't pretty but neither is the life of an unwanted child :S

9. AAASAS

Pro life. I'm very passionate on this topic. The only aruement I've heard for pro choice was woman can do what they wish with their bodies. I don't consider another being inside you another body. Abortion is murder no questions you are stopping a person from being alive

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted, but no comment. Discussions on this subject seem to go round and round in circles.

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pro-life. Your mom chose life. :slight_smile:

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother wasn't in poverty or single or in any way disadvantaged. My mother chose to have children in the first place. My mother was prepared for children.

Don't guilt-trip this issue, please. It's hard enough for those considering abortions without the moralising.

13. black-cat

These posts always sound like a boomerang.

If you are against abortion, don't get one. Isn't it that simple?

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I support NARAL and Planned Parenthood 120%. I'm very much pro-choice. The phrase "your mom chose life" is a tad bit manipulative as well, because my mother was perfectly fine with having a child, was in good finances, wasn't raped, I didn't have a fatal defect, and I didn't threaten my mom's well being. I have not seen a single pro-choice person say that they'd absolutely love to see every woman have an abortion, as you won't have that happen. It's a fact that abortion is a simple process that can terminate a pregnancy. It should be available for any and all women who need it.

15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't worry, done with this thread. I will be pro-life to the day I die. Unless you were raped or your life is in danger(which is actually few cases), there is no excuse. You decided to have sex and not wear a condom. If you do not want the child, give it up for adoption.

#15 QueerTransEnby, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  16. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I am pro-choice.

I would be horrified if I was forced to have a child. It would probably only happen through rape for me, which would make it so much worse; I wouldn't be able to go on. It's wrong to punish a victim by forcing them to have a child they aren't in the right mental state to care for.

Even for consensual sex and accidents, I feel the same (It just wouldn't apply to me).

Now, I absolutely love children. Really, I do. And that's also WHY I'm pro-choice. Forcing a mother to have a child she doesn't want is unfair to the child too; as it risks giving the child a shitty life and not getting the proper care.

My mom chose life, but she is also pro-choice. She chose to have me because I was a wanted and planned baby and that's how it should be. She was a rape survivor at the age of 11 and if I was born then (Luckily she didn't even get pregnant) my life would have been absolutely TERRIBLE and I'd be in an abusive environment, I'd have worse issues than now. But thankfully I wasn't; I was born when she was 23 to a consensual relationship with her husband who both wanted me in that situation, and that's how I'd prefer all babies be born.

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She also had the choice. People wouldn't necessarily be doing their offspring a favor if they are born into terrible conditions to unwilling parents.

This discussion has been beaten to death on here, but I am not a fan of the term "pro-life" as it implies people who support the choice to abort are "anti-life." No, we are anti-shitty life. There are enough humans that we should be able to procreate at our own decision, independent of sexual appetite.

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm anti-slavery and anti-torture. So I don't support criminal sanctions against abortion.

19. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am definitely a natural selection sort of person. Pro-Choice.

20. timo

I have yet to encounter anyone who's 'pro-life' with any good arguments against abortion. And don't give me nothing but your 'abortion = murder' bullshit, as a fetus in the first half of the pregnancy has no consciousness, no sense of pain (etc) and no chance of surviving outside the womb.

I don't know why I still open threads like this.