1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should there be corpal punishment in school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zannan, Aug 23, 2014.

?

Should corpal punishment be allowed in schools?

1. Yes

7.9%
  2. No

84.1%
  3. Depends on the circumstance

7.9%
  1. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As the question asks?

2. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think so... students misbehave.. they should get a beating, thats my opinion

3. SunshineNY

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    They're just kids. They're meant to misbehave!

4. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree with you, BUT teachers do not go to work to be bullied and disrespected. But coporal punishment should be used in secondary schools, not so much primary schools. Young children should not see fights nor be invovled in one. school is suposed to be safe for young children

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I answered that it depends on the circumstance. I believe that in all but the most extreme instances (such as the initiation of physical force by one student against another), corporal punishment is unjustified. Paddling as they used to do it is stupid and evil. I also consider threats to "wash a student's mouth" (who swears) to be child abuse. It might be appropriate to chastise or isolate a student who engages in this kind of behavior, but it's not appropriate to cause them physical pain unless the safety of other students is directly implicated.

Controversially perhaps, (I don't care if you're horrified--bite me), it is my view that corporal punishment is not only justified but requried to be applied to students who initiate physical force against other students. By the initiation of force, I am of course excluding the force used by a student in defense of another. The initiation of physical force by a student is very serious behavior. I don't want to see them subjected to the full force of the adult criminal justice system simply because of their lacking development, but the behavior is gravely serious and in need of remediation.

I don't think that people who commit violent behavior are people for whom English is a first language. Violence is their first language, and they need to be communicated to in the language they understand.

6. Mocha

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So what if as an adult you "misbehave" at work? Should you get beaten to teach you how to do your job properly? What's the difference?

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't want a sick adult to be able to get their power-fantasies fulfilled on children under their care.

Never will I support beating children. Never will I consider it humane. Never will I look at a child-beater with any tolerance or understanding. Cattle and dogs can be dealt with without being beaten. What on Earth makes it acceptable to beat intelligent beings in positions of weakness?

Furthermore, what do you hope to teach a child by beating them? They'll only obey in the presence of those who beat them. Put in place a moral and behavioural system they can willingly follow, that they understand the reasoning behind, if you want them to behave. Listen to them when they have issues. Children are more receptive to being listened to than they are to being beaten when you think they're wrong.

Schools aren't places for the teachers to torment students.

#7 Aussie792, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  8. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True, they do have terminations and warnings for that though

9. Gen

Gen

Corporal punishment is never acceptable. Psychologically, corporal punishment creates obedience and compliance through fear of retaliation. Respect and compliance from a child to an authoritative figure needs to be formed through understanding or that child will have no incentive to act appropriately when that figure is removed.

There are plenty of other far more effective and educational methods of punishing bad behavior.

10. Mocha

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    As they do at most schools

11. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm embarrassed by this thread and the responses I'm reading. Are you all stuck in 1955 or something?

No, there should be no corporal punishment in schools. Not in any way, shape, or form. Discipline of that kind is the domain of the parents only. But I suppose I'm not surprised--everyone expects society to parent their kids for them.

12. Ryujin

How can adult assault be wrong, when someone attacks another person over say breaking the rules or being disrespectful, but assaulting children if they misbehave be okay?
    I know it may seem that I am biased, but I don't understand how violence is acceptable. I'm a pacifist, I believe that violence should never be used unless it is friendly and both people are consenting on the grounds of sports and rules prevent any real damage being done, I. E. Boxing etc.
    Simply hurting someone because they do not wish to follow your arbitrary set of rules is too far.

13. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am opposed to the use of violence as a correctional tool. It is something that should be steadily less socially acceptable. The monopoly on violence by the nation-state is the primary source of human suffering in our time.

14. Mocha

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Very very wise words from someone so young. I absolutely agree. I have four children aged between ten and three and I don't use physical punishment with them and I would probably choose to home school them if I knew they would be subject to it at school. It is completely abhorrent to me.

15. Candace

Nope. Hitting someone to instill fear is a horrible method. There are clearly other viable alternatives to punishing the child. Besides, they're not your parents to begin with. If it were my classroom, I'd do stuff like: call your parents, give you detention, make you clean up my classroom, make you or write sentences on the board. It shows the child "don't ever do this again", and will most likely make them, but in an appropriate manner.

16. sugarcubeigloo

No. There's no room for violence of any kind at a school. Period.

17. Dakeli27

Not at all. Regardless of whether or not they "deserve it", they should not allow something that in nearly any other circumstance would be child abuse.

18. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think corpal punishment should be allowed in schools. Kids misbehave because they know they can get away with it. Honestly, I'd been better behaved if corpal punishment was allowed in school. Warnings,detentions,ISS,suspension,expells ion is normally all the schools have. And teachers can only write a disipline referal and hope the princapal punishes the student. Corpal punishment would work better. Time hasn't gone by so the student knows what not to do again and the punishments in the teachers hands. They have control over their students.

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That view is completely horrifying.

20. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Teaching violence as an acceptable method of correction legitimizes and perpetuates it. No thanks.