1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is not dating a bisexual person a preference ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Aug 23, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I heard a few times from some gays and lesbians , that dating not dating bisexual is a preference and not biphobic and that they are not attracted to , people who slept with the opposite sex or sleep with the opposite sex ( I've heard this the most from lesbians ) . So they will also not date other lesbians , that had sex with men before coming out and I have only heard this from a few gay men that said, they will not date anyone that slept with the same sex .
    Now I'm wondering can refusing to date bisexual people or people that slept with the opposite sex, in the past actually be a preference or is it really biphobia wrapped in a nice package ?

I personally think it's biphobia but I want to know your opinions .

2. Acm

Acm Guest

I would consider it biphobia

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's biphobic. If the reason they won't date them is because they slept with the opposite sex at one point in their life and not who they are as an individual, that strikes me as pretty narrow minded. I get that people can have a bad experience with an individual and be a little reluctant, but painting everyone with the same brush because of that seems pretty unfair.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's being an actively malicious person.

5. LadyRedRover

Hm...the way you put it(not sleeping with people who have slept with members of the opp. sex), it's probably biphobia. I think there are some people who aren't attracted to bisexuals in general, but that specific of a reason seems a bit suspicious.

However, like any gender/preference/identity, there are going to be some people that just aren't attracted to that. Happily, there will be some that will be attracted, as well.

Either way, I would say that someone's hang-up about who their partner slept with in the past has their own issues and that's just how they are, preference or not.

6. I am guilty of not taking bisexual people at my school seriously. Bisexual girls specifically. I won't ignore you or not date you if your bisexual but, I often dismiss it as "experimenting" or "a phase." I am trying to change my attitude on this.

7. wanderinggirl

I agree, it's biphobic and inexcusable.

It also sort of parallels the attitudes of people who idealize (female) virginity and get jealous or turned off if she's had past sexual experiences.

Or maybe it comes from insecurity that bisexuality will be a phase and if they aren't willing to "pick one" then they might at a later point in time jump ship on their gay partner and go back to the straight world.

Or maybe they sense a cultural difference; though it eeks me out personally when people refuse to hang out with nongay people to the exclusion of everyone else, some people might only feel comfortable with their own "tribe", which extends to dating.

Still though, it's kindof weird to claim that you won't date someone who has had P in V sex.

8. LD579

Honestly, I've found it very surprising when I've heard people tell me they wouldn't date bisexual people, either due to learned (From society) biphobia or from bad experiences with bisexual people. It'd be like me having a bad experience with a white guy and then writing off all white guys.

It seems pretty narrow-minded to write off people for liking something else, at least to me. I'd suggest that people who may have this mindset consider why they feel this way, as, in my eyes, it's basically equivalent to someone liking froyo and ice cream, and yet you only like ice cream.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's good that your working on it .
    I think where it comes from and I don't know what you identify, as in your gender but in general most people think bisexual women can not commit to women and that they can only commit to men ,and be faithful to men and not women so a bisexual women who is more into women faithful to women , will most likely be perceived as lesbian because of that .

10. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard for me to label this one a preference.

Not wanting to date a trans-person is different, because in that case, the physical body may play a role. With bisexuals, that's not an issue, so really the only issue is that they say they're attracted to another gender that you're not attracted to. That's like not dating someone because they've been to New York. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    funny you wrote this Luthan , because I actually got written off for liking anime and also liking to write stories for fun would you believe that :confused:

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Liking anime is a sign of eligibility, not needing to be written off. :frowning2:

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know right I didn't even write her off for being super religious and I dislike religious people

14. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The stories thing kills me. What sort of stick up the ass do you have to have to deride people for writing in this age of illiteracy? Oy vey.

15. Intoxicating

Intoxicating Guest

It's straight out Biphobia no sugar coating it. Why write off someone because of who they had sex with in the past? It's not affecting you in anyway so why fret about it? Honestly, there basically losing relationships that could have been really good by thinking this way.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, don't knock people with their sticks up the ass. :lol:

But I agree, very intolerant.

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People can but they miss out on something awsome

18. wdtgg

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say is biphobia, that said I don't know why there's that tendency that lesbians think a bisexual women will end up with a guy. I mean, do that happens with gay guys and bisexual men too?
    Aslo why seems are women the ones that are frown upon about their sexuality all the time, even among fellow women? Oh no, beign a bisexual women is just a phase, they are confused, they are greedy and so on.
    Do bisexual men get that too that often?

19. Ryujin

I can confirm that, as a out-bisexual male, I have had that.

20. Given To Fly

Sounds like biphobia to me. I wouldn't not date someone because they've slept with someone with a big nose in the past. What's in the past is done. So long as they are faithful it makes no difference to me.