1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do most Pride parades allow this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beetle, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Beetle

So I went to my first Pride parade today, and had a lot of fun...but at the end of the parade were people marching with religious bigotry signs...quoting the infamous Leviticus part, as well as something saying "atheists, homosexuals, thieves, liars, ect burn in hell." I know typically these idiots come to protest the parade on the sidelines, but they were marching with the parade...and I found that upsetting. And in Canada, too. Why do they allow this when we come to Pride as a more safe space to get away from all that?

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been to at least one Pride parade a year for the last twenty years or so and I've never encountered it in the parade--usually a couple idiots off to the side somewhere. If it was at the very end maybe they weren't technically part of the parade but just following along behind?

3. Beetle

Possibly....if that was what was happening, I wish they did something about it.

4. mangotree

Most parades I've been to, after the floats etc finish, the public are allowed to fall in behind and walk to wherever the parade finishes (usually to a park or an outdoor dance/music party type thing).
    Perhaps that's all it was.

Sometimes ignoring protestors is the best way to get rid of them. They thrive on attention.
    Maybe the parade organisers were expecting them to be there and decided to do that as kind of a peaceful counter-protest so to speak.

Have you looked at the pride event's facebook page (if they have one)?
    It might give you more information.

Peace! (*hug*)

5. Beetle

Ah ok...that makes sense. People really didn't give them much attention, at least from what I saw.

6. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've seen it at one... I also saw one of them later at a restaurant with a nasty black eye. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I see them every now and then, but really, it's not safe for them unless a lot of police are in the area. Lots of places in my neck of the woods to fall unseen.

*Not that I have ever done anything illegal.*

7. Dakeli27

Ah, Leviticus.
    I think that it's allowed, but like Ada said, if there aren't police present, it might get ugly. Of course, the same thing happens the other way around at WBC protests. Well, less signs, more kissing. It's also much more tactful.

8. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Leviticus 19:19

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material."

OH THE HORROR WE ARE ALL GOING TO BURN IN HELL

9. Dakeli27

Don't forget the shellfish!

10. mangotree

Reminds me of this from a few years back.

[YOUTUBE]B_hyT7_Bx9o[/YOUTUBE]

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the US, our Constitution's First Amendment protects hate speech, so yes, such things are allowed. That's why the KKK can have parades and rallies.

My understtanding is that the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms has protections against hate speech (or limitations on free speech, however you wish to interpret it) that make certain types of hate speech illegal. I know there was discussion at one point that Sarah Palin could be subject to arrest if she entered Canada as a result of some of the things she's said.

12. Candace

I think that's the reason why they were able to protest ^^. They can just hide behind the First Amendment and not face any consequences.

13. Hexagon

There's probably not much they can do about it. Sorry though.

14. LadyRedRover

I was surprised by the religious protesters at Pride this year as well. It was my first time going and they were set up in the square along with the venders and allies. Pretty much everyone ignored them though.

15. Beetle

Yeah I can imagine not much can be done at American Pride parades about protesters but I thought Canada had a hate speech law. Then again I'm pretty new to Canada and don't know much about their laws.

16. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It happens at a lot of prides, but they don't really cause any harm so allow them their moment.

Happens their outnumbered hugely by the LGBT community anyway and at least a few of them are GUARANTEED closet cases. I find it immensely interesting that people would spend their day ranting and hating us, doing loads of research, commenting on videos on YouTube where same sex couples show affection & hating on Insta. Its not us with the problem. If they want to believe the word of some hairy bloke from 3000 years ago then more fool them

17. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Don't really want to get too involved religiously, but the bible doesn't condemn homosexuality. If you actually read into the passages you'll see it was more about lust, arrogance, and pride.

The main "anti-homosexuality" story in the bible is about the city of Sodom. God destroyed Sodom because the men were threatening to rape angels that came by at night. Just saying. But I don't want to get into a religious debate so I'll just leave it at that.

18. ThePrideInside4

They did that? Oh my gosh! They outta burn in Hell for that! I'm not exactly a Christian, but I do know that the Bible says you should love everyone, even your enemies or sinners (not that we're sinners or Christians' enemies). Were they from Westboro church? Oh, those people are so...ERRRRRGGGG!!! :angry:

19. Harve

At the only parade I've been to, there were loads of religious groups coming out in support of LGBT folk.

20. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well unfortunately pride parades can't stop them due to freedom of speech. I do have to say I've been to St. Louis pride for 3 years now and u haven't seen any of that thankfully. The only thing they do here is have churches who welcome lgbt people who may be interested in joining