1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you supposed to come out to your roommates?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, Aug 25, 2014.

?

Should you eventually come out to your roommates?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Up to you - it's not necessary

28 vote(s)
    75.7%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. confuseduser99

I'll be moving back to school in a few days, and I'll be living with 2 male roommates. Obviously I won't tell them straight up once I meet them that I'm gay (that's rather unnecessary, and probably strange and unusuall for them), but should I eventually come out to them? I've never had to deal with coming out to roommates since I was DEEPLY closeted with myself when I had another pair of roommates.

2. mangotree

If after getting to know them better and you feel safe and you trust them, then yeah tell them.
    Wherever there's an opportunity for honesty rather than hiding or withholding the truth, take it.

Just my opinion.

Peace! (*hug*)

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel it's best for the future and you think they'll receive it well, yes. When I head off to college I will probably tell my future roommate day one.

4. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Every instance of coming out is unique. You will have to decide whether or not you should tell them. You should also wait until you feel you know them a bit.
    As a side note, I think that three roommates is a difficult number to work smoothly. It seems to me that in most groups of three, there is usually an odd man out. Two's company, three's a crowd yadda yadda. Coming out or coming out too soon could make you the odd man.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you think you can convince them that you and that other guy are in bed together studying? :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Yosia

I think it will be good to let them know because they might be a bit surprised to wake up to another guy sleeping in your bed. XD
    But its not necessary. ^.^

7. awesomeness

Do it, just don't turn it into a ceremony. With the whole "guys sit down, I gotta tell yall something". It just seems a bit cheesy to me. I've never understood why people do that. In my opinion, the less of a deal you make out of it, the more chill people are gonna be about the whole thing.

Just do it casually.

8. Hexagon

You're not supposed to do anything. It's your truth, not theirs. Up to you what you do with it.

9. ccdd

ccdd Guest

It's up to you, and it depends on whether you're just living separate lives in the same house or all become friends or whatever. I eventually came out to my housemates (not in a "I'm gay" way but I let them figure it out by mentioning people I'd fancied or actresses I liked or whatever) - but only once I was sure I wasn't going to get harrassed by them because of it. If you're living with people, your safety is your first priority. But if you can come out, it can be good to do so eventually.

10. AKTodd

I would say it's probably recommended unless you have explicit reasons to think it would be a bade idea (in which case, why would you want to continue living with these people?). It simplifies the whole business of explaining what you did/plan to do on a weekend, why you have a beefcake calendar/poster on your wall (if you're into those), and why that guy keeps coming by.

I moved into a house with five other guys (all strangers) at one point in college and came out to all of them within probably a day or two. I didn't make a big deal out of it, but pretty much framed it in about the same way I might say I like a particular color or food. Nobody cared much, although there were eventually some...interesting times...that grew out of that living arrangement.

Of course, it probably also helped that one of the other guys living there was not only very openly gay but apparently into dressing in drag (VERY flashy (sometimes reflective) skirts, VERY bright makeup, glitter, wigs, etc.). I'm really not sure since English wasn't his first language and he generally was out and about doing his thing and wasn't home much. But no one ever gave him any grief and he seemed to be welcome at any house get together that I ever saw him attend.

My 2c worth,

Todd

11. ThePrideInside4

It is really important that he/she knows.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It should always be your decision. That said, you're going to be with your roommates for a while, so if they seem to be nice and accepting, it would help in the long run to come out to them.

13. Candace

They have no obligation to know everything about you. It's something that you can choose to hide about yourself. If you feel that they're really accepting and caring, then come out to them (if you want). It's ultimately your choice.

14. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Not immediately. Not until you know how they feel about other homosexuals. If they're cool with other homosexuals tell. If not, good luck.

15. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my roomate but after like 6 months lol and we have been good friends so that made it easier. Ultimately it is totally up to you. You don't have to do anything you don't want to. I'd say get to know them first then decide how you feel. :slight_smile:

16. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would usually say that it is up to you (and it is), but in a living arrangement like this, there are so many problems I can see you having if you aren't honest with them pretty much from the start, that I would say you need to tell them, or look into a different living arrangement if you see right away that they are hostile and homophobic.

17. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would want to just for the reason that if you ever bring someone back to your place you don't have to explain then.

18. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

It's probably better that you tell them than they find out when they barge in on you with a guy.

19. EatYourRikkios

Personally, I told my roommate within the first few days of our being assigned a room together. I just brought it up in casual conversation; she was surprised, but when I asked if it would be a problem, she was fine with it. I'm glad that I did bring it up, because it's more comfortable for me to have it out there and she would have found out eventually, anyway. But that's me.

If you feel like you should, then you should.If not, don't bother. You do you, okay?

20. confuseduser99

All good points! I think I want to scope out my roommates' personalities, and somehow try to get their thoughts on homosexuality. If they're cool with it, I'll probably eventually tell them. It seems like it'd make life easier in the long run to tell them of they're cool with it!