1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for people who are fully/mostly out …

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rainbow Girl, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Rainbow Girl

If you could even anything to closeted person to help them what would it be? It could a material item (pride apparel, a show/movies they should watch, a book they should read, for example) or advice (something you've learned, something you wish you'd known, something someone told you, for example). It can be anything really as long as you think it will help. What would it be?

2. Hexagon

That your sexuality, in the grand scheme of things, matters little.

I suppose that sounds like strange advice. I'm not trying to make anyone feel unimportant. But when you're first discovering your sexuality, and making it known, it can seem like the entire world hinges upon it. It's important to realise that there are both other parts of you, and greater things in the world as a whole, and that whether you like men or women isn't terribly significant. Then it becomes, not a massive secret that weighs on you and intrudes on your thoughts when it shouldn't, but something you can be truly comfortable with.

3. Katbot

I second what Hexagon said. Like, after you come out, nothing really changes (provided you've had a positive experience, coming out to nice, good people) except how you feel! Also, you can start making jokes about how queer you are, which is pretty cool.

If I could give any advice for coming out, it'd be do it on your own terms. Dont let anyone talk you into coming out. Don't think that you have to come out to everyone all at once. I've been out to everyone except my parents for about 10 months now, and that's okay. You dont have to do a facebook post about it, but if thats what you want, go ahead. Don't think that should should be out by a certain age or anything like that. And come out in a way that makes you feel comfortable. I came out to my three best friends through email, because I was too scared to do it face to face! Just make sure you do it in a way that makes it more comfortable for you, and allow the other person to ask any questions they want to ask.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have had people wish they could change aspects of their coming out. They might have picked a different time, or a different way of doing it. They might have wished for a better reaction from this person or that person.

...but some period on, I don't know anybody who truly regrets coming out.

Lex

5. Candace

I would tell them, kinda what Hexagon stated. Your sexuality matters about 0.000000005% and shouldn't change the relationships of those people with whom you decide to confide in.

6. AKTodd

That first and foremost you need to approve of yourself. After that, the approval of other people isn't that important. Never sacrifice yourself (or your 'self') for the sake of someone else's approval.

Todd

7. wanderinggirl

I would give them bubble bath and some scented candles and a relaxation tape and some bath toys like duckies and stuff, so that they can remember to relax and slow down. :slight_smile:

8. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By coming out you will find out who your true friends are. Anyone who doesn't accept something as small as your sexuality isn't truly you're friend or someone you need in your life they will just bring you down

9. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I would say don't use a letter...I did with my stepmom and she got pissed. So I would say try and sit them down and do it face to face.

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would say for coming out to parents that you know are non-affirming to be mindful that their initial reaction may seem supportive. However, when you come out to the other parent, the first parent you were out to may change their tune. Mom said, "she was at peace with it in her heart." Ever since I came out to dad, it has been quite different.

11. PurpleGrey

If you want your coming out to be a certain way, or to go the way you want. Make sure your careful not to let your things out you prematurely. Personal experience, here. I didn't get to come out the way I wanted to. It may very well seem like it's not a big deal, but I do regret not being careful. I wasn't ready, and I felt robbed of the experience I wanted.

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My advise, frankly, would be to have faith in the people around you. Be awesome and expect people to be alright with it--if people seem like they love and care for you, don't assume that this will change all that. I've known a lot of people who have come out over my years in the community and with very rare exceptions it goes either about how you thought it would (wherever that is along the spectrum of acceptance) or better. I have found that in life in general people have a real habit of living up (or down) to your expectations...

13. Lipstick Leuger

That staying in the closet although it seems smart at the time, is it's own punishment. Take that scary step and come out. It will be the hardest thing you do, and it won't be with out bumps and issues, but it's such a relief that it makes it so much better!