1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lottery

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Does anybody else here buy Lottery tickets? If so, how often? Have you ever won anything? Do you think the Lottery is a good, or bad thing?

I bought a $10 Lottery ticket earlier today, on my way to eat lunch, but did not scratch it off immediately. I waited until I got home. Upon scratching it off, I discovered I had won $500. The problem is, the convenient store where I purchased the ticket, has a set amount of hours where they can "cash out" Lottery tickets. So, I have to wait until tomorrow morning, which is fine.

In the past, I have won $20 a few times. I won $200 once, too, but that was years ago.

The most I've ever won, was $1,000, which came off a $20 Lottery ticket. The only reason I bought one even that expensive, was due to the fact, a pretty young lady at the counter told me, "It's a lucky one!", and I, being a good sport, decided to humor her. The thing is, she was right, LOL!

I wound up sliding her $300, just because I'm nice like that.

As for whether or not I think the Lottery is a good, or bad thing. It has potential to be a good thing, but Kentucky seems to misuse a lot of those funds. If you ever come down through here, you'll notice our schools are still fairly lackluster, and our roads are as broken as this economy.

LOL!
    [​IMG]
    Swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish~!!!

2. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A spouse of a relative won a million, on a scratch ticket.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 07:03 PM ----------

I don't play btw, I've wondered about buying a large number of scratch tickets as an experiment, but I can't quite bring myself to. I bought scratch tickets only once, didn't win anything, that was enough.

#2 GreenMan, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  3. ThePrideInside4

Darn it, I thought this was gonna be about the show called The Lottery. I love that show!

My mom used to buy lottery tickets for me and my sister, until she got a new family... :icon_redf
    :frowning2:

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have won a few dollars. Probably less than $10. Still, it was free money--the ticket was given away as part of a promotion.

Sad story: a grocery store clerk told me that once he won $700. But...if one number on his ticket was different, he'd have won something like a million.

5. Ryujin

I buy lottery tickets :grin:
    I'm such a rebel.

*things in the post may be falser than they appear *

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I do. I play the state lottery game where the jackpot usually hovers around $3 million. I buy a ticket for both drawings every week, so I spend $2 a week on average. I won $50 on a scratch off once, and $40 on another occasion.

7. Hexagon

I've never played. It wouldn't exist if the odds were in my favour, so it seems pretty obvious to me that I'm likely to lose more than I win, and that the money spent will be greater than the money gained.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here and again, though not too often. If the Megamillions/Powerball goes above $300 million, I'll buy a few tickets, but that's about it.

9. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always found the Maryland Lottery's slogan hilariously ironic when compared to lotteries' "play responsibly" disclaimer.

"The Maryland Lottery: Let yourself play!"

10. Candace

My mom usually buys them whenever she gets gas. But heck no! There's no real reason for me to buy any of them.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm too good at math to buy lottery tickets.

Lex

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard that line before. But I also happen to know that you have a. Much better shot of winning if you play than if you don't. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I know my luck post age six, i would buy four hundred dollars worth of lottery tickets and win four dollars. this is a net loss of three hundred and ninety six dollars, plus gas

see i am okay at math

14. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tension in my family from gambling has led to me not being much of a fan, personally. edit: Also, being the one that sells the tickets for around ten years in different customer service jobs.

15. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

I think, giving yourself high hopes or relying on the lottery to get money is a waste of time..

Unless its a few times a month thing.. My dad bought it for over 15 years a few times a week.. and the most he won was £70... He wasted his time on "Calculating" the numbers... he wasted so much paper and ink.. and his life.. He did that instead of spending with his kids.. That's what he literally did.. after work, after a few hours watching t.v the rest of the day was on that..

Although he tried to win it for us..

16. Yeah, but you still have a far better shot of being killed by an asteroid or comet than winning the lottery if you do play... So I think I'll pass. :slight_smile:

I bought a scratch off when I turned 18 just because I legally could. Didn't win anything, but it was just for fun 18th birthday stuff.

Now, I don't have the disposable income to spend even a few extra dollars on something like that when I could be buying stuff I need that's less of a money pit.

17. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

tbh i dont even know how to buy the lotto tickets, liek the regular ones sure but the scratch offs, do you go in and ask "so um i'd like a scratch off" and they pull out the big fucking table of scratch offs available now and u go "uh uh i'd like the two dollar one haha", my local gas station doesnt even have them out in the open so i dont know what the hell scratch offs are available even

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm addicted to the instant scratch offs, but never won as much as you. I won $100 twice and $50 three times though.

19. Dakeli27

Another fun question: would you rather win a $10,000 a week for life, $1,000,000 a year for life, or a $50,000,000 at once lottery?
    And fun fact, if you live in NYC and go across a bridge to New Jersey to get a lotto ticket, you're more likely to die crossing the bridge than to win.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2014 at 10:13 PM ----------

Only one person has ever been hit by a meteorite, and they survived, and nobody has ever been hit by an asteroid or a comet, so technically you're far more likely to win the lottery. Apologies for the geek moment! I totally agree with what you said though. I thinkI'll get one lotto ticket when I turn eighteen, and nothing after that.

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Old joke: week after week, a man prays to be made a lottery winner. Week after week, he loses. Finally, in frustration, he says: "I keep praying! Why can't I win the lottery?"

And a voice booms from the sky: "And why can't you meet me part way, and buy a ticket?"