1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible getting 2 degrees?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosepetal, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have 2 careers in mind but is it possible to get 2 degrees ?

2. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes but it'll be very expensive and challenging as you'll be dedicating about ten years of your life to getting them both.

3. Yosia

Yup, but like BiShoegazer said, it will take forever and you will need a lot of money.

4. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes it is, actually I'm thinking of doing it and I've heard of other people who did it before, it's not really uncommon here. For example, an uncle of mine was an engineer but when he retired he picked up theology. A co-student studied "military science" if there is such a term, and now he studies archaeology. Another friend of mine studied music and now he's into archaeology too. And I'm thinking of getting a cultural anthropology degree too. :slight_smile:
    But. 1) In Greece, studying is free.
    2) It might be difficult to work while pursuing a second degree.
    3) It would be better to choose things you can combine with each other, in my opinion. But... well, knowledge is knowledge and, if you want it, go for it, I say! :grin:

5. Nikky DoUrden

6. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's possible to get two degrees, but if they are both at the undergraduate level, it's probably best to double major instead. At some universities, it's possible with careful planning to double major without taking any extra courses.

I know from experience that getting two degrees in differing fields is possible, but it takes a long time. I went from getting a bachelors with a major in mental health & human services to earning a masters in computer science & engineering. However, because I only took one computer science class as an undergrad, I spent a full year doing prereq courses. It was very hard at first.

7. wolf of fire

I know someone with 3 so yeah depends where you are studying.

8. Edra

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Short answer yes, I have one and working on the second now. But as most have said it is costly.

9. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes it is. I have two degrees. One in physics and one in Diagnostic radiography.

I did my physics first through the open university (distance learning) which I did whilst I was working full time and I did my second degree full time at uni where I went back as a mature student.

Total study time was 10 years.

Happy days :slight_smile:

10. ok455

A lot of Nurses i work with has two degrees one nurse is a Scientist and a Nurse smart as hell.

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not necessarily. I was originally an Aviation Flight Science major, and once you had the credits for that degree, you were 37 credits from an Airline Management degree, which is about 3 semesters. It all depends on what the degrees are.

12. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank u I have people saying u would excel at being a social worker I'm considering it but I wanna be a nurse too.

13. Hexagon

Yes, it's possible. You can do as many as you want. Takes time, though.

14. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Undergraduate level, you could double major. You complete two majors at the same time. I considered it, but just ended up switching my major instead. My roommate is double majoring and she'll graduate after 4.5 years. She had quite a few credits coming in, though, and took summer classes.

I highly recommend talking to an advisor and thinking about whether this is really something that you want to do. Especially if the two careers are in completely separate fields. You could always go in undeclared, take classes in both, and decide which one you'd like to pursue. In the meantime, explore both career options, talk to people in those careers, find out what the outlook is like, job shadow if possible. Best to know now if one of those careers isn't actually something you want to do.

Some degrees have more extensive requirements than the other. My roommate is a biology major and she has double the classload because not only does she have lectures for all of her classes, but most of them come with labs too. Schedule-wise, I highly doubt she could do a double major. If the two degrees have a lot of overlap then that would make double majoring easier.

If we're talking about grad school work, it's not impossible but you'd still need to choose one to take first. Masters are generally 2 years and doctorate about 5 or 6.

15. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Why would you think it's impossible? One of my professor's daughter is getting 3 degrees. May his wallet find peace.

16. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you everybody :slight_smile:

17. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I myself am considering becoming an MD PHD.

18. Candace

Of course! You can get a dual major. I was thinking of getting a dual major in public policy and history, but I opted with just the first one because I would have been in school for at least five years. It wasn't worth the extra year or two.

19. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ive never heard of a dual major

20. AlamoCity

It's entirely possible, but it's best to decide what pathway you want to take before you actually take classes so that as many classes count for both degrees as possible. I didn't plan too well and ended up taking 150+ credit hours to get a single bachelor's in economics (pre-med "minor" :lol:slight_smile:.

Also, depending on your career path, sometimes you don't actually need a degree in a certain field to work in it. If my vision was better, I actually at one point wanted to become a state game warden. Many people who go into law enforcement will sometimes pigeonhole themselves and major in "criminal justice" when any bachelor's degree would suffice. Even if I had gone into law enforcement, my degree in economics would still have gotten me in the door (requirements wise). Also, when I considered medical school, I didn't major in the standard biology degree because I wanted to have options, so I majored in economics and took biology/chemistry/physics as my electives (fun :rolle: :roflmao:slight_smile:.

For you, Rosepetal, I would suggest you earn a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and then earn a Master of Social Work (if that is really your passion). I would talk to a guidance counselor to provide more understanding.