1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another "duh" study slut-shaming women

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wanderinggirl, Aug 26, 2014.

1. wanderinggirl

This is the stupidest study ever:

New Study Claims People Who've Had More Sexual Partners Report Unhappier Marriages

Women with more partners are less likely to be happy in later marriages.

Well that's because the ones who found "that person" earlier on are already in happy relationships, so why keep exploring?? It just so happens that it's more rare to find a soulmate than we realize.

And then after age 30 or so women are told they are too picky, they need to give X a chance, they are too quick to dismiss relationships, relationships are hard work. So they marry, probably owing in no small part to social pressure, and they wind up unhappy. Surprise.

Not unique to women; but this study chooses to focus on it, so. Maybe because our insatiable libido needs to be kept in check so we can get hetero married already and make our man happy.

I just find this to be such an obvious study, I don't know why they did it. Did anyone else feel this way? That this was a pointless study that verified an obvious connection? And that it can be easily misinterpreted to give women misguided advice?

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That seems pretty obvious to me.

3. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Has anyone else actually told someone "I'm not a slut." :smilewave

4. Hexagon

See, this is why I'm suspicious of studies about sexuality, and many other social phenomena. There's always an ulterior motive.

5. AlexTheGrey

The Marriage Project isn't exactly an unbiased entity, and it doesn't surprise me that they'd fund something like this. Any organization that sees marriage as a sign of "quality of life" of society is also likely to have traditionalist leanings.

At least Huffington Post grabbed the other side of the story, and pointed out some of the major issues with the study that make it terrible for drawing any sort of conclusion. I haven't seen any of the other articles reporting on it yet, but in general, I'm wary of any study that gets reported on before it is published or peer reviewed. The folks funding the study likely did the short-circuit themselves when the results showed a correlation that favored their own biases.

Normally, a study like this, if the correlation holds is the "huh, that's funny" that triggers more research to see if there is actual causation and what that might be. It isn't really meant to be used to draw conclusions on its own. The fact that it is tells me that the funder has an agenda, and the journalists reporting on it for the most part are willing to play along.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Your a prude if you don't want to have sex and be a virgin , if you like sex your a slut and a dirty woman .
    Mamma stocking says this to me all the time about how I will not get married because a bunch men in me . I guess we women are bad people if we enjoy sex like the men . Oh how bad of us .:dry:

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I have concerns with the conclusions (the old correlation-vs-causation thing), I think the study itself is far from stupid. There are a lot of reasons why people could be promiscuous prior to marriage (or promoscuous and avoid marriage entirely), and a lot of reasons why someone might marry early, without a lot of expierimentation.

And there's tremendous variation in social adjustment that could play into both of those decisions and affect satisfaction. For that matter, I don't think you could accurately gauge satisfaction without a lot more detailed questioning of the individuals.

So I don't think the conclusions are necessarily correct (and, indeed, it didn't seem like there was any real data to support the conclusions) but the information itself is interesting.

8. wanderinggirl

True. The problem is that they did the survey, and then zeroed in on women, and kept zeroing in until they found the conclusion that they wanted.

It seems like the data was very picked-over to reach this conclusion, and then they had to come up with a reason why the data might show this, so they shoehorned in some explanation.

9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

women should get married, to me, instead

then they can stop making jackass studies, about marriage and sex

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It never ceases to amaze me how some researchers will sell their souls and, with a straight face, spout the most blatantly misleading or outright bullshit about their study's findings in order to appease whomever is sponsoring the study. This happens routinely in drug and other corporate-funded studies, but it's also amazing how often it happens in studies funded by religious bigots. There's a researcher in Austin who published a study that everyone, including the journal that published it, has said is bullshit. It was on LGBT families, and once the methodology was revealed, it was really obvious to everyone how he basically just made up the conclusions based on almost nothing.

This study's (unsupported) conclusions don't even seem (based on a skimming of the study) to have a basis for the claims they made; they just seem to literally have pulled an explanation out of their asses.

Sadly, those who don't understand research won't understand the methodological flaws, and many won't even bother to read the study, just go with the headlines.

11. Candace

This totally makes sense! as if I couldn't figure that out before :dry:

12. AAASAS

I actually would think the opposite.

13. wanderinggirl

Okay! You sound knowledgeable about woman things! I shall settle down before I become any more promiscuous and ruin my chances of happiness! I shall marry you!!

---------- Post added 26th Aug 2014 at 10:31 PM ----------

Grrrrrr I know right?!?!? I am in the hard sciences, but I have a lot of respect for well-conducted studies in the social sciences because they are incredibly hard to do well. You need competent people to design and conduct them. How did the rest of these idiots get to be professors? Who pays these people?

And unfortunately news sites are so hungry for traffic that they'll make anything a headline. Pop science is important, but it can really mess up the efforts of scientists to contribute to society's knowledge in an unbiased way.

14. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah this reminds me of a paper I read about pop science in Europe and how in contributed in a way to the ideas involving 'Racial Hygiene' pre World War II. Good times good times (and by that I mean atrocious).