1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does dyeing your hair ruin it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akira12, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So was having the discussion with my mom who has and still is dyeing her hair. She told me it ruins the natural color and ruins the texture of the hair. Now I love my hair with its natural curls and fluffiness silk feel xD. What I want to know is if I dye my hair will it not be fluffy and silky anymore? The way I understood was I will lose my natural color and have to keep dyeing it to keep any color whatsoever is that true? I was wanting to do it like once or twice, something new and different xD. I luv my hair so don't really want to ruin it lol. Thanks in advance for all the replies!

2. Yosia

Depends. If you are simply dyeing it it should be fine, if you are bleaching it then dyeing it it damages it quite a lot.

3. black-cat

Bleaching can really mess with it, but most decent hair dyes are fine.

I have quite "delicate" hair and I find dying it is fine, semi-permanent is better for your hair than permanent, just avoid bleaching it if possible. Have fun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Yosia

And if you are to have it bleached, go to a hairdresser for it my friend decided to bleach hers herself and she used too much and her hair just died pretty much. She had to have a massive amount cut off.

5. cuppycake

Hm .. well, my hair is naturally very dark, almost black, but I dye it in a pretty, light hazel color and to be honest, my natural color hasn't disappeared or anything. I can see it in the roots of the hair as it grows or as the dye itself washes off. It would take a while if you want your natural hair color back, but it's going to be okay, you'll just need to be patient until it grows out or use some products to remove the dye from your hair faster.

As for bleaching, ... nnngh. That will damage your hair a lot. And if you have dark hair, you'll have to keep dying it, because (if you bleach your hair and it becomes blond) the natural-colored roots which will grow out are going to become too much of a contrast between your new, bleached color, and it'll look a little funny ...

If you want to have just a quick change of colors, I suggest you use hair coloring shampoo or temporary dye! An example would be Palette's Instant Color temporary dye. You can pick your color, you can apply it and after two or three washes the color completely disappears and you'll have your natural hair color in no time. It's also less damaging, because it's not a permanent hair dye! I personally haven't used one, but I hear it's great for people who just want to experiment and try something new without damaging their hair too much.

I hope that helped! ^o^

#5 cuppycake, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  6. Hexagon

Just don't do it excessively, and you'll be fine.

7. Omni

Currently residing in a closet labeled "unsure"
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you take care of it afterwards, and try and use less chemically based color dyes, and of course, not do it obsessively, you will be fine.. You'll most likely be faced with hair that's more dry than normal (can be fixed with certain shampoos, conditioners, etc) and dead ends, which can just be chopped of. However, bleaching your hair is more harmful, due to the fact it's well.. Bleach.. But you can still take certain actions to restoring your hair...

As for ruining your natural color.. It really depends on how many times your dye your hair, the type of dye you use, and your hair in general.. Some people loose their natural hair color, (as in it changes slightly) after the first few times dying their hair, where as myself, I've dyed my hair multiple times and when my roots start to grow out, my natural hair color is still basically the same as when I started.

I've dyed my hair a few times and have bleached it once, so.. I know ._.

8. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for all the answers! Didn't even know about the temporary hair dyes so thank you cuppycake!

9. Candace

I don't believe so. Bleaching might however.

10. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Depends how many times you do it, and also bleaching hurts it more. Again, it also depends how much you do it.

11. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you got some great answers. Usually dying your hair doesn't ruin it. Just don't dye it more than is necessary. And dark colors are better than blondes cause they usually are bleach based. And bleaching is what really messes up the hair. Also, I used to get color that wasn't permanent when I went to the salon. I think it was called demipermanent? But just ask your stylist and he or she will know what kind to use. But anyway, I have been dying my own hair for some time, and you can also get home hair dye kits that are temporary dyes; the box will say lasts 28 washes. Temporary dyes are gentler on your hair and no commitment! I hope you find a color you love! :slight_smile:

12. itsAli

Na, it's fine, hair grows back. If it feels odd after, just wait, and it'll grow back to its natural colour and texture.

I've been dying mine for 5 years, it's currently bright pink and it's fine

13. BoiGeorge

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as you look after it and condition it and stuff, I don't think it causes too much damage. I dye my hair a fair bit and my hair is quite healthy

14. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um, I used to dye my hair blue all the time, but you got some pretty good answers.

I just wanted to add: Henna-based dyes (usually what semi-permanent dyes are), I've found actually make my hair softer. They also do less damage than chemical-based dyes.

Henna-based dyes would include: Manic Panic, Ion Colour Brilliance, N Rage. Manic Panic I feel has the best colours, but Ion lasts the longest - in my experience.

If you feel the need to bleach your hair to make a more pastel colour or something, ammonia-free bleach is the least damaging, and you should mix it with a healthy amount of conditioner.

Sorry,:icon_redf I just wanted to add this.

15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I think it improves it. But if you bleach it first it can damage, as others have said.