1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Silence

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dragonscale333, Apr 27, 2007.

1. dragonscale333

Tomorrow, the school LGBT club is sponsoring a "Day of Silence" where the people who sign up for it don't speak for the whole day to "protest the silent faces of LGBT people". Is anyone else doing this at school?

When I did this last year, I barely made it through school. I had to carry around a pad of paper everywhere, and it was so frustrating, but worth the effort.

2. GuitarGirl1350

Day of Silence was 2 weeks ago. I guess they're donig it a different day.

3. ampthejazz

Yeah, well national Day of Silence was two weeks ago. But my school was on vacation then, so we did it two days ago.

It actually wasn't very hard for me this year.

4. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    April 18 was when my school did it. I went to school with a bandanna as a gag in my mouth. Three other students had duct tape across their mouths, and offered me some. I gladly put it on. People asked a lot of questions, and I wrote out answers and gave sticky notes upon which basic information about the Day of Silence had been written.

In the afternoon, participants of DOS gathered, ripped off the tape, took out the gags and broke the silence with the Scream. I didn't because I was walking home. I broke the silence in my house, though, by shouting.

5. Steam Giant

Heheh, that sounds like a lot of fun! Nobody ever did that in my highschool, but then again, my area really doesn't have a GLBT community.

6. Jerr

Yeah, as everyone said, it was a while ago.

I was the only one in my school to do so. Someone tried and gave up within 8 minutes. My other friend was in a competition that day for the school and it was a debate so she couldn't do it.

Sadly enough only one of my friends supported me... My teachers supported it. They all accepted that I wasn't going to talk and didn't challenge it at all. One friend, who actually is not fond of the gay thing but accepts it and will joke with me, he didn't try to get me to talk or anything... It kind of hurt... All my close friends wanted to get me to talk somehow and try to make me fail at something I truly believed in and wanted to do...

7. tinkerbell

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm in college and whatever GLBT community we have is scattered and quiet. Jerr, what you went through must have been frustrating. At my high school, which is when I began to celebrate, we all supported each other. The choir teacher was silent, so were her students...some people were silent, some weren't. I was surprised to see so many silent people in high school though.

8. step49x

I know there were a few people that used to do it in my high school. I didn't actually participate in it until I entered college, this year. I brought a pad of paper around so I could write if I had to (which i did, a lot..). I did have to talk during one class, though (i had to give a presentation). Besides that, I was silent the whole day.