1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you find love? Sometimes you collide with a str8

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iGustavoLeon, Aug 27, 2014.

1. iGustavoLeon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How do you find love? Forum? The real life: university or another? What is the first step?

2. Yosia

I just wait for people to hit on me lol.

3. Candace

I find a cute guy who likes me back, and then we start talking. If we have a lot of similar interests and he can put up with my zaniness, then we go on some dates :grin:.

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Well given my vast first hand experience with this stuff,

[footage unavailable]

5. Hexagon

Mostly, I don't. I'm not looking for a relationship right now. If I were, I'd either look online, or start attending some lgbt clubs I supposed.

6. thekillingmoon

You don't. It finds you. Supposedly...

7. cuppycake

I've been waiting for love to find me and I've been single for years. In fact, I've only dated a person ONCE in my entire life, and it was a long-distance relationship.
    Here's the deal, though - I actually like long-distance relationships. They make the couple strong and they teach the two sides how to be loyal and strong and their love grows and grows until they finally meet, and when they do, it's the most amazing feeling ever! Of course, not every long-distance relationship is like this, because it requires a lot of patience and time which most people aren't really keen on dedicating, but then that means you were just not that compatible after all.

I personally found my ex online, and because of the homophobic place I live in, I suppose I'll keep searching for my love on the internet. My dream is that one day I will find a girl that'll love me (and I'll love her back) so much that we end up meeting and living together ^u^

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it was a strategy of immersion--but not just to find someone but because I enjoyed it. I genuinely like other gay people, almost (althought certainly not entirely) without exception. I respect the courage it takes to be out and look hard to find that core of strength and vulnerability that, in my experience, most gay people have. I moved to a neighborhood where probably two-thirds of the men on the streets were gay. I worked in a job where half the employees and customers were gay. I lived in a building where most of the tenants were gay. I led a gay book discussion group. I volunteered at a gay political action organization. I went to gay concerts and events. I used to go to a largely gay coffee shop to do my homework--especially my Sanskrit or Hebrew because it was such an easy approach for someone else ("OMG, you can read that!":lol:slight_smile:. I cultivated friendships with a wide array of people--gay people and straight people who were cool enough to have gay friends--people with a wide range of interests and personality types. I played croquet in the park and went to potlucks and pool parties--went dancing and to BBQs (all largely with other gay people). I dated extensively--coffee dates, movies, dinner and drinks and (gasp) an occasional good-natured roll in the hay. And then, after all that, I met my partner of 16 going rapidly on 17 years--in a gay bar.

I feel like I have to add that prelude, which involved years, because I don't like to give the impression that I wandered into a bar looking for a husband and found the love of my life--although that is what happened. But it happened after years of seeking out and having substantial relationships with a ton of gay people. I was on the scene for years, dated a ton of people who didn't work out, met possibly thousands of gay people, had truly substantial interactions with hundreds of them and then there he was one night. The trick though is to look in a way that you enjoy--it took me years to find him (but you know what? They were awesome years.

Build a life that someone would want to share and they will line up to get a piece of it--and when that happens make sure you pick someone who has already built an awesome life without you, because you will be sharing their life going forward too.

9. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wait for other women to hit on me.:dry:

11. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  12. shinji

shinji Guest

What is love?

I am actually serious, if you can imagine. How do you know when you "love" someone, how to distinguish true love from your ordinary every day puppy love? As for how to find someone, online dating websites would be the logical choice but i've recently come to realize that through friends and perhaps facebook, it is quite simpler and safer.

13. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

This.

15. xxemilyxx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    waiting for women to hit on me has not worked or happened as of yet so guess i need a new method and a book full tips too xD

16. JessieRayne

My own little corner in my own little world
    oh.. well.. the only guy i've ever dated and no longer do, talked to me at school a few times, then stalked me and then knocked on my window at 3 in the morning.. so.. um.. technically i think love finds me in this situation.. ._. well.. stalks me.. i should say.. but it was cute so.. *shrug* ._.

I dont really.. do well in the love world.. I think I rather become an old cat man sometimes.. ._. XD

17. shinji

shinji Guest

A... neko, man?! Wut?! (・_・ヾ Silly, there aren't neko men, only neko boys!

This is going to be somewhat of a long post.

Back on topic... After having a very long discussion with one of the first people i came out to, about how he met this great girl that he talked about for like 30 minutes, and wants to dump, just because he doesn't "feel like it"... I came to the conclusion that maybe, heterosexuals also have problem finding their true love. The reason why they do have more success however is that they have a bigger pool of people to choose from?!

Having overly high standards can also impede our progress towards finding true love. So can personal barriers that we set up for ourselves like - i'm shy, i'm ugly, i'm no good, etc...

So on to another one of my friends... Damn i actually had more friends that i though i did... Anyway, so this guy is like a love guru, seriously! And this is what he told me:

"You do not want, what you think you want."

So i lol'd at him and changed the subject, now that i think about it however he might have been right. Considering our lower "pool" size, our own barriers and add to that a set of high standards, it's obvious why we are having trouble finding true love. It probably already found us and we were too stupid to notice...

I am talking from my personal perspective as a homosexual so keep that in mind.

And going back on topic...

In reality it should not be any different for us to find true love, following the example of heterosexuals. That is to say, meeting new people is the best course of action, how we go about it however is detrimental to our success. I still am under the strong belief that two people must meet and talk in order for a connection to be made, all this online stuff is superficial, puppy love... love that we feel for the idea that we make and later portray onto the person that we imagine is staring us back through the screen. Am i making sense?

In conclusion, TRUE LOVE does NOT exist, it is an illusion that we create for ourselves of the perfect person we would like to find, and we know from Dr.Greg House that people are stupid! No, wrong TV show, i meant to say... no one is perfect! So how are we going to find someone that fits our expectations perfectly?! You'd be better off playing the lottery.

I just think that love is something that is shared between people and it grows with time, or deteriorates and you end up alone. I'm getting sidetracked here... The first "spark" of love between two people that everyone calls "true love" is nothing more than "puppy love" that has the potential to grow into something big depending (and this is important) on how willing and how much of a compromise are the two parties involved willing to make. This doesn't just cover appearances but also habits, quirks...everything. Depending on if the two people respectively can change (and yes, change is inevitable) to better accommodate one another, a relationship can either flourish or burn in the hellish fires of <insert something cool here> (out of brain power).

In the interest of starting a discussion i would pretty much like to be disproved. Will give me something to do when i get back from work. :kiss:

18. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You can turn this around... sometimes we just do not recognize what we get because we expected it differently. Staying open for surprises ? :slight_smile:

There are a few things... preconceived hollywood images... the idea you just have to find a partner and all is fine all the time instead of a real partnership... communicating and growing together...
    High standards are not a bad thing in themselves... there are tutorials on standards in partners... there are things you might compromise and there are things you would not...

Not necessarily. I think that if you are true, online something carries over, in the style people write, etc... and there is skype etc.
    This only arises if you remain with text messages for too long, imO...

Its a lot... its a mix, thats why the subject is not easy. There is something like instant attraction... there is love that grows... there is romantic attraction... its not one size fits all :slight_smile: .
    Many people report that they found someone when they did something they liked... when they were at ease and just content with themselves.