1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rare or common perception: "LGBT centers are a place where 'losers' hang out... "

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by QueerTransEnby, Aug 28, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Overheard a conversation the other day while walking to my LGBT center. It was was not directed at me, but two guys holding hands were strolling around the downtown area said that the center was a place where losers "hang out when they can't score". Is this truly a common(or somewhat common) opinion regarding centers?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Never heard those, who attend LGBT centers, referred to as "losers". I have, however, heard those who attend such centers, referred to as "being dumbasses for making themselves known".

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the deal. I've not heard that. And second of all, just because we shared lgbt background doesn't mean we all have to like each other fellow gay/trans people.

I'm blonde. Do I have to like all other blondes? No.

I'm guessing this person envisioned instantly being warmly welcomed just because of demographics and not that they are *phobic.

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

hahahaha i have never heard that

5. Hexagon

Never heard that.

6. Ryujin

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Never heard it.
    But then I've never been to an LGBT centre.
    Heck I just started visiting the local LGBT bar and that's just when I'm in the mood and not a regular thing.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I never heard for that one I'm actually shocked , I 'm not a loser , I can't get a date but I am no loser , the women just don't know I'm a lesbian and also play for their team . That's why I'm not scoring .
    If I met them I would want to bang those two men's heads together like cling clacks . :tantrum:
    Plus I actually like doing something helpful for the lgbt community and volunteering .

I thought it was those who went to gay bars were more of the loser that's what I heard but I never thought of anyone who went to gay bars as losers .:dry:

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard statements to that effect, but they are usually by bitchy, bitter, judgmental people. It is true that some of the people who hang out at LGBT centers tend to be a little more shy, and not into the club/bar/party scene, and some people describe those types as "losers" but the truth is... they are probably more likely to find healthy relationships than those who spend all their time drunk at a club or bar looking for a hookup :slight_smile:

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Huh, only a loser would judge someone's self-worth based on their ability to get laid. It's usually those involved with centers that are actually doing something to push for LGBT rights, visibility, and support.

I've never heard it, by the way.

11. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Never heard that before. My intentions on going to my local LGBT center is not because I can't "score", it's because I want community. It's the same reason I use this site.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is why I don't go to gay bars anymore because ,the women there just wanna hook up.:dry:

---------- Post added 28th Aug 2014 at 12:13 PM ----------

This is why I joined the center and not just to meet women.

13. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I've never heard that before, but even if I had, I still think the statement says a lot more about the person saying it than LGBT centres...