1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Estrogen may be an antipsychotic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wuggums47, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

According to this study, if I'm reading the jargon correctly Estrogen may be an antipsychotic. This explains the rarity of female schizophrenia. I'm not sure if there are any other psychotic trans* people out there considering estrogen, but if there are this study might interest you.

2. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Lets look at a male and female brain.

Nothing different besides a few physical size and wrinkles as we'll call them. Now cut that brain open. You'll see a huge difference in the size and number of holes in the brain. A males brain has more holes and empty space in them compared to a females. A brain works by sending signals to each hemisphere, guess what the holes do? It messes things up. That is why there are more men with mental issues than women.

3. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a neuroscientist but I'm pretty sure that's bullshit.

A brain doesn't necessary work by sending signals to each hemisphere that's just one of the ways it's organised. There are differences in the female and male brains but they are relatively small. For example girls are slightly better at language and males slightly better at maths.

Mental Health Statistics: Men & Women
    Apparently more women get treated for mental illness than men. But this is probably because men are less open about it than females.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Women are more likely to suffer from depression. I guess men are more likely to become crazy psychopathic serial killers.

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I think you're mistaking psychosis and psychopathy. Psychosis is false perceptions or delusional beliefs. Psychotic individuals and other people with mental disabilities aren't likely to commit violent crimes, but are 2 1/2 times more likely to become victims of violent acts that are generally committed by neurotypicals.

Psychopathy or Sociopathy depending on which theory of origin you believe in isn't a real diagnosis in any modern diagnostic manual such as the DSM-V. It is however very similar to the real life incredibly rare Antisocial Personality Disorder.

The myth of the violent unstable mentally ill person is perpetuated by the media, and is considered by many to be ableist.

#5 Wuggums47, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  6. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The outside is grey matter, imagine a giant filing system. The inner part is where signals bounce around. And the holes are called ventricles.

Edit: They bounce around to communicate with each other.

7. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm...well, I guess it's a good thing that I eat so much tofu...and here I thought it was going to cause me to start menstruating... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: