1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haha....oops.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Matt, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt Guest

I was online earlier today and my friend showed up on YIM. I said hello, then sent him a link to this article about a Spongebob video. I wrote, "I'm glad spongebob is pissing off all the fundies...maybe they'll get it through their thick heads eventually that there's nothing wrong with being gay."

Of course, I wasn't really talking to my friend. I was talking to his mother.

She had logged in under his screen name (he presumably left it on "automatic sign in") and she gave me no indication I wasn't talking to my friend. Now she's mad because she's one of these "fundies" who hates homosexuality. Great move on my part, eh? Yet another day in Matthewland.

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hey, you're clear of all blame with that one. She logged in using her sons login pretending to be him. She was trying to deceive you. :icon_mad:

Youo need to chat to your friend about saving his passwords and not logging out of sites etc though! :wink:

3. TriBi

Yeh..."oops" as you say. Hardly your fault tho'.

I have had a similar thing with friends (only, being a tad older, it was their young kids logged in) but they straightaway fessed up...wonder why she didn't? Could there have been an ulterior motive there?

Hope "fundie mom's" deception doesn't rebound on your friend - especially if he's not out - have you spoken to him since?

4. cowboy_wannabe

that always gets me, when people log in under other people's names. talk about embarassing...

hey, as long as she doesn't try to turn the friend against you, i'd say it's best just to let the mom be. i mean, do you really care what she has to say anyway?

5. Matt

Matt Guest

She knows I'm gay, but she doesn't want her son to be "influenced" by me. She also told him that he can't have anymore gay friends. period.

This guy is 21 years old. Pssht! I'd be damned if I let my mom pick my friends at that—or any other—age.

6. cowboy_wannabe

amen to that! :grin:

7. Soilwork

Ok.. 21 years old, still lives with Mom, has no lock on his door and allows her to give him orders about who he can and can't have as friends?

I think he needs a good swift kick.

But after that, she needs a baptism in reality... pretending to be her son in order to get info out of you is... well.. the kind of smarmy thing I'd expect from a Christian, so I guess I can't even feign surprise.

I'm assuming your friend gave her shit for doing that?

8. Matt

Matt Guest

Give her shit? Nah... I just dropped it. There was no reason to further subject myself to her bologna.

9. goratrix

weird situation. as I said when I introduced myslef... I'm a big freaking nerd, and so are most of my friends... all of the ones I chat with are anyway. So I can't even begin to think anyone loggin into my account withot my approval.

I have all configured to automatically sign in, except for my user account, and that has a twenty digit password, which is virtually unbreakable, since it's encoded with the SHADOW suite and I change it every three months, so even if they somehow got the shadow file, and decrypted it with a brute force cracker, the password would be useless. (please, by all means ignore this last paragraph if you don't consider yourself a nerd)

10. Corny

Corny Guest

[nerd-mode]
    i hope you mean twenty characters not twenty digits
    [/nerd-mode]
    :wink:

11. Micah

*Stares blankly at the screen* (the warning came a little late)

12. goratrix

Touché... of course I mean characters. twnty digits would take about seven hours on a PIV@2GHz. to brute force. My pass would take over 76 hours. and after that I decided I would use my CPU for something a little bit more useful... so i don't actually know how lond it would take to break it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.