1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for religious LGBTQs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wuggums47, Aug 28, 2014.

?

If you're religious does your religion condemn or affirm LGBTQ+ identities?

1. No, my church/temple condemns it.

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, but I'm thinking of switching

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. My religion fully supports LGBTQ+ rights.

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. My religion is not organized enough to have a position/ I'm spiritual but not religious

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

So basically my question is if you are in an LGBTQ affirming faith or not. If you're not religious avoid voting, as it might skew the results a little.

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2014 at 01:37 AM ----------

Oh forgot to mention. Personally I was a Catholic for a long time, but just recently switched to Episcopalianism. The Episcopal faith condemns the persecution of LGBTQ+ people as a sin, and they are opposed to all other forms of religious bigotry. Also we ordain both females and transgendered people as priests.

2. EatYourRikkios

I'm Wiccan, grew up Lutheran. My religion is... not always fantastic at considering LGBTQs, but fully supportive. So. There's that.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm Lutheran. I voted that "my religion fully supports LGBTQ+ rights," even though my actual church (the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland) is not as good; I identify as a Swedish Lutheran, predominantly because of the issue of queer rights.

4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I've read about Wiccanism and it sounds like they are quite supportive. What do you mean exactly that they don't consider us?

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unitarian Universalism fully supports human rights as well as Humanism.

6. AlamoCity

I'm agnostic, but oscillate between atheist and believer in the Abrahamic god. I personally struggle with whether, should God exist, He consider gay people a "mistake" or part of the diverse cornucopia of humans He created. Though, if He were to exist, and is not accepting, I will have some words to trade with Him when I meet Him.

My family and extended family is either evangelical Christian or Jehovah's Witness. Perfect bunch of loving people towards the gay community :slight_smile:dry: :bang:slight_smile:.

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Well, I'm just going to tell you that the God I pray to considers our sexualities to be a gift to us, regardless of orientation.

8. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As far as I know, Buddhism doesn't condemn being LGBT. I was raised Christian and that was a very difficult experience.

9. black-cat

I am atheist and raised in an atheist household, though I now follow and believe in a lot of Buddhist practices, I still count myself as non-religious.

10. wdtgg

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was raised in a Christian Catholic household, I was baptised and received the first communion although my dad didn't want to, he rather I did so once I were older. My mom was a LDS before I was born. I didn't do the confirmation because I didn't agree with part of what the Church said back then.
    Currently I consider myself a Christian in the way that I try to follow the New Testament, but morally I have a big base of ancient greece philosophers, so...
    The current Pope said that if a person is good morally why would they need to be judged if they are LGBT, so I guess he doesn't condemn, but I feel many self-called christians don't think alike the Pope.

Seriously does that makes me still a Christian or more an atheist?

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Very simple.
    Do you believe in the existence of any god(s)?
    If not, you're an atheist.

12. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is the thing. I believe in a Christian god but withhold a interest in any kind of church no matter if they condone or condemn it. Every christian church has a different perspective on the bible and that is very misleading to many people. I think church and a lot of ministers misrepresent the truth and the most people take every word their minister tells them seriously without really looking into the bible and what Jesus would do.

When most people defend their bigotry they cite their minister as the one who told them to condemn homosexuality and hardly have any knowledge of what is all in the bible and most deny that the bible was not written in English. Because the bible was translated so many times it gets misrepresented and the reality is the original scripture never condemned homosexuality and there were several homosexual relationships in the bible not hated by God. My advice for any glbt person who comes from a church that condemns them don't get caught up in what the church believes because they are far from the truth and only giving their own inaccurate interpretation of what the bible says. It is hard for many people to believe that God really does love them after being exposed to so much bigotry and questioned my faith several times before I found the truth.

If you are a christian all you need to do is just believe in him and treat others with dignity and respect and than you will be able to enter heaven. It is not about being good or not being sinful it about having a faith in a wonderful god and spreading love and peach throughout the world.

13. Dev

Dev

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe in everything...idk I believe in science and religion and spirit. All of life is intertwined in a complex map of existence and time.

14. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Church of England (Anglican). The Anglican Communion is not of one mind on the issue of homosexuality and the Church of England's declared position is slightly ambiguous and contradictory as it flaps around trying to find a non-existent middle way. There is a simmering row within the C of E about the issue and a significant number of Bishops, Priests and lay members are in open rebellion.

Some congregations are inclusive and very welcoming, most will be accepting, but there are a small number at the more conservative end that will be rather hostile. I'm afraid you need to check first.

15. luckycar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was raised as a Southern Baptist. Most of my family is or was also. My immediate family and I left the church a few years ago due to our unhappiness with the organization of people known as the "church". Long story short we had a crisis and they turned their backs on us. We are now non-religious, but still spiritual and very much in love with God and Jesus. We just do not associate with the people who claim to be "Christians" but really aren't. All those people really wanted was fire insurance and nothing else.

16. emithegreat

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My parents are athiest
    I chose to be a chistian. It says in the bible that Jesus forgave sinners.(not that lbgtqi people are sinners) if thry believe we are sinning they should accept us anyway.
    I have not come out yet but i hope they will be the same,religious or non religious

17. Sorceress of Az

I am Christian but my beliefs are quite different than mainstream Christianity.

I believe the Creator, Created us as we are for a reason, therefore I do not believe their is any thing wrong with being LGBTQ. I believe that Bigotry is wrong.

I reject the idea that the Crucifixion was a Blood Sacrifice for sins, to me Jesus came to show us the way to be, we are to emulate him to the best of our ability.

I do not believe Jehovah is the Father of Christ but that another entity is and that entity is the actual creator.

I do not believe that scripture is the sole source we should base our beliefs on, but that personal experience whether in our lives our from Spiritual revelation is more important.

Also as of the moment myself and one other are the only adherents to my brand of Christianity though I am not actively seeking converts, as I do not believe belief is required for salvation, instead good deeds with proper intention are what saves us, a person could be Atheist and be saved by their deeds. I have named my beliefs Asherism.

#17 Sorceress of Az, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  18. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was raised pentecostal, but I don't go to church anymore. In my experience, pentecostals condem EVERYONE who isn't living a so called (as defined by them) ''holy'' life. Very judgemental and hypocritical. I just choose to believe in an undefined higher power now; I'm not super religious.

19. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If one person at church know I was interested in any relationship of any kind I would be in trouble. I still considering my friend as above me.

20. Queer NOS

I am an agnostic pantheist; I do not think that pantheism has much of an opinion on human sexuality one way or another, as pantheism is the belief that God is all and all is God, thus meaning that LGBTQ+ persons (as well as literally everything else in the universe) are a part of the Divine.