1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off to Africa!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Koctlwye64, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Koctlwye64

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys (and girls),
    I'm not sure if this is where I post this, complete newbie here! But, I am an open and out transman (FtM transgender) and (to make matters worse!) attracted to guys, so gay as well (!)
    Here in the UK I haven't had any trouble, but I'm off to Africa for 12 weeks with VSO, probably to Zambia or Zimbabwe. I am not sure what it's going to be like, has anyone been or have any ideas? I am seriously concerned about this especially after reading about the kind of stuff that can go on there, but on the other hand, I'm sure there are LGBT people in Africa, and I feel that if there is anyway of helping them then I should be!
    Any advice anybody? Please!

2. Hexagon

I suggest stealth while you're there.

3. AAASAS

You can go to jail for 5-14 years for being gay in Zambia.

It's also very illegal in Zimbabwe.

Be stealth, or face charges.

These two countries are not the U.K they are separate entities, so I would respect their laws while there, because again, it is not the U.K.

4. ChameleonSoul

Just be careful if you advocate LGBT rights while you're there. In Zambia, you can be arrested for merely promoting LGBT rights, as it's believed to be supporting something against human nature. Also, if people find out that you're either gay or trans, not only could you be turned in to the government, but you could also be attacked or even killed by vigilantes (though it'd be pretty ruthless for someone to do this to someone who's working to fight poverty there).

5. Candace

Be careful while you're going over there. I'm not really sure about the friendliness over there, in terms of LGBT rights. So, even though it goes against my moral compass, just stay low and don't mention at all. Be really cautious and let us know what happens.

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LGBT rights in Zambia - Wikipedia (English)
    Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons in Zambia face legal challenges not faced by non-LGBT citizens. Same-sex sexual activity is illegal for both males and females in Zambia.
    -
    Like WooEEE stated, you can get 5 - 14 for being LGBT.

LGBT rights in Zimbabwe - Wikipedia (English)
    LGBT rights in Zimbabwe are dominated by the fact that male same-sex sexual activity is illegal in Zimbabwe. Since 1995, the government has carried out campaigns against both homosexual men and women.
    -
    The penalty is unknown according to Wikipedia, but same-sex sexual activity is illegal.

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Yeah, while you're there as hard as it may be you're going to have to go stealth. Also if you got caught having sex while you where there you could have your lawyer make the argument that it was straight because of your chromosomes, although that would really suck.