1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Censoring opinions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ryujin, Aug 30, 2014.

?

Should you censor opinions to not offend people?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Depends

41 vote(s)
    52.6%
  4. Other (explain below)

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Ryujin

Do you guys think you should censor your opinions purely so you don't "offend" someone, like say you disagree with their faith or their stance on the death penalty or something similar. Is it okay to not argue a point purely because someone might not like what you're saying?

2. KayJay

I do that a lot actually. I also sometimes write out a whole post and then decide not to post it because I don't want someone to be offended or interpret it a way I didn't intend.

3. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you should be mindful that you're not going to change anyone's mind by sharing your opinion. You should also recognize when your opinion is wanted. If it's a thread about praying for someone and you say "I don't believe in prayer", you comment's not really necessary. Even something less serious; if it's a thread about which Mac computer is the best and someone says "get Windows", that's not helpful, you know? Opinions belong in certain places.

#3 MintberryCrunch, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually do sensor my opinions, to an extent. I remember this one time I totally didn't, when this girl I was talking to online said something offensive about transgender people. She didn't talk to me for a few months afterwards. We haven't talked about it since...

5. Candace

If the opinion is really offensive to me, I just ignore the person. They can say whatever they want to say, but I won't be around to hear it.

6. Ryujin

Now that I think of it, if you were to censor your opinions on other people's opinions, then who is there to question them? Life is about being challenged, facing your values and deciding whether they are right, if someone says something in disagreement then they are simply sparking debate and a chance for you to rethink how you see the world. Because what if you're wrong? What if your opinion is the unreasonable one? If people censor their opinions then no one is challenged, no one has to defend what they think is right and we end up with people who do as told because they just scream intolerance or hate speech whenever someone dares to make them think about whether what they are doing or saying is right or not.

Just my two pence.

7. Derivative

Derivative Guest

As MintberryCrunch has mentioned, give your opinion when it's necessary. People are always going to have different opinions on different subjects, but if you have valid reasons to support what you're saying you shouldn't worry about offending.

8. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. Two things:
    1. If something is worth believing, it will stand up to criticism.
    2. Don't be an asshole.

10. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Should you? It depends.

Do I? Yeah, I don't like fighting or making big deals out of stuff, so I often censor my opinion. Although somethings are worth fighting for.

11. luckycar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I almost always censor my opinions. This comes from having jobs where I am paid to keep people happy. I would rather play ignorant or lie than get into an argument over something pointless. There are a few times when I must stand my ground but they are rare.

12. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't succeed at this by any means but it is a good rule I think:
    [​IMG]

13. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on if I think their opinion is stupid or not backed up with good evidence... For example, if someone talks about their religion, I would just shrug it off and probably keep quiet; however, when they say something that sounds stupid (in my opinion) like "God hates gay people," I'm definitely going to step in and be honest and try and prove them wrong. I know I would probably not be able to change their mind, but I would be open about my opinion at that point. Or if the topic is interesting and I want to share my opinion and show how my brain thought about the topic. It depends on so many factors for me.

14. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in agreement with this.

The problem with these types of discussions is that they fall short of realistic standards for two primary reasons. Firstly, they're fantastic for general discussions on morality and other shizzle, but they have very little applicability to real life functioning. Secondly, such broad questions cannot merely be answered in such a simplistic, quantified manner.

As somebody who has worked within welfare services with a very clear hierarchy, it's about knowing what battles are worth fighting. There's no shortage of occasions I've had to keep quiet to avoid getting caught up in arguments on issues that are relatively minor in comparison to the broader issue at heart, so merely expressing opinions at any given opportunity isn't always realistic or even beneficial. There's a time and a place, after all.

Additionally, people often tend to create the illusion of discussion when talking about certain issues. The abortion debate, for example, is a classic example of this dysfunctional discourse. Those who are 'pro-life' view the opposing side as being babykillers who show little regard to the loss of a human life. The 'pro-choice' views consider the opposing side as intruding on the right to privacy of the woman, and being very selective on how life is morally defined. In those instances, is there realistically any room to convince either side that they're wrong? Those who are passionate enough to waste a huge amount of time arguing this are those who have very rigid views on the issue and aren't realistically going to be convinced otherwise. As a result, a discussion underpinned by free speech is instead merely an illusion, being nothing more than a perseverance test in which the 'winner' is defined by who can shout the loudest for the longest (i.e. who can get the infamous last word).

There's occasions when expressing an opinion is a great thing, but there's plenty of occasions when it just contributes to dysfunction. There's a time and a place for all things, including expressing our own opinions and morality.

15. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is why at work I usually resorted to:

Thanks for telling me that.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even opinions which are based on correct knowledge can hurt others. Every word you say on many topics is politically sensitive and can hurt a lot of people. A callous remark can really make someone feel horrid for weeks, and I'm not exaggerating.

If you're prone to talking about social/political issues and you don't censor what you say in order to not hurt others, you probably hurt people accidentally (or deliberately if you're that bad) on a regular basis. Unless you are fairly well-educated on a topic, have a general understanding of the issues around it, and have explored it with input and corrections from others who have studied and gone through the issue at hand, then you're probably not ready to do more than ask polite questions about it.

You only know what you know, and over-stepping that boundary can you look like a dick. If you know it's sensitive and you feel that you should be able to barge in with your primitive opinion on an issue which isn't yours, you are most certainly a dick. Even professionals who spend their lives on a subject can be woefully ignorant about it.

17. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This forum tends to censor a lot of opinions to save people's feelings.

18. burg

if someone makes a conjecture they should accept any attempt at refutation without dismissing any argument against their conjecture as offensive. or they will be committing the (do not offend fallacy)
    debates do get generally offensive due to Ad Hominem attacks which rarely are not a fallacy.generally speaking ad hominem attacks are only valid when people appeal to be a authority on the subject.

id say its ok not to argue if you believe your argument negatively affects you or them .which on a forum like ec is pretty important issue to be aware of.

19. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually did a Theory of Knowledge presentation on this topic - it mostly focused on homosexuality and censorship, but also war, language, and opinions ect.

Um. I can already tell this is going to be a rambling post, so apologies in advance. :icon_redf

I've always felt that honesty can be both damaging and better than censorship. Hurting someone's feelings in regards to a disagreement on a topic (you mentioned political topics, for example) is something less important than being able to state your opinion and have a civilized debate. If they can't handle it, it is their problem, just as if someone says something that offends you, you should be able to state your mind. People find being in a state of 'defense' infuriating and saddening, but I think opinions should be defended. Being secure in your own beliefs is important - and to be secure you have to see and find solutions to faults. Censorship helps no one.

For example, if someone said: "Homosexuality is a sin! Kill all of the queers!"

Most people on this site would respond with: "No, what the :***: is wrong with you?" And then start arguing their opinion. However, often times, religion would be called to question, and a foundation in the first person's belief would be under attack, and thus they might have hurt feelings.

But what would censorship lead to? A unchallenged belief. A lot of people would think that their feelings of religion are worth hurting to support the queer populous (us.)

This was an extreme example - but the point still stands. I think part of having beliefs is the right for them to be challenged and defended.

B: "What do you think?

A: "That shirt doesn't suit you."

B: "It brings out my eyes!"

A: "But you're large chested, and it just hangs over making you much fatter than you are."

B probably shouldn't wear that shirt - unless B wants that effect.

People are sensitive as a whole, and people's feelings get hurt all the time. However, a certain amount of civility is needed.

A: "You look absolutely ugly in that shirt."

B: "What? Why?!"

A: "You're fat and the colour is wretched."

That isn't very clear and is just rude.

Discussion allows for an exchange of beliefs. I'm going to cut myself off now. But, uh, yeah. :icon_redf

#19 Kaylen, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  20. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't censor my opinions, but I might not want to bother getting in to something with someone. I mean it's not like they're going to switch to the green party from republicanism after I explain why it makes sense to me.