1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have people ever said LGBT-related things that were meant well, but came off wrong?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MintberryCrunch, Aug 30, 2014.

1. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I.e. they are supportive and non-homophobic people, but they've said things that could be interpreted as offensive? Either they made a mistake, or they're just ignorant?

I have two older sisters and one time a friend said to me "it's like your parents have three daughters!" and I was just like "um...not really...a gay guy isn't just a girl with a penis." -_-

Most of the time if I hear comments like that, I say nothing since I know they're not trying to be offensive or anything, but other times I feel like it's my responsibility to correct them.

#1 MintberryCrunch, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. Stripe101

Re: Have people ever said LGBT-related things that were meant well, but came off wron

[​IMG]

3. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Have people ever said LGBT-related things that were meant well, but came off wron

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 Kai LD, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. AlamoCity

When I came out to my best friend, he was surprised that I could be gay. First, because I didn't act or appear gay and, second, because in high school I was a germ freak. In high school, I suffered from depression and trauma (was attacked by a pit bull, but ended up only needing Steri-Strips) and one of the ways I ended up coping was being overly "clean." I'm "cured" now, but he still remembered how, for example, in high school, I flinched when our history teacher sneezed when he was close to me.

Anyways, when I came out to my best friend about a year ago, he asked, "how can you be gay? Aren't you grossed out?" He was supportive (i.e. neutral, which is super awesome for an archconservative Catholic), but was wondering, without actually elucidating, how I, the one who would get grossed out at sneezes, be able to have anal sex with a man. I mean, there's poop down there, right :lol: ?

5. Randomcloud

The classic "well I don't agree with the lifestyle (WHAT IS THE "LIFESTYLE" WE ARE PEOPLE JUST LIKE YOU SMH) but I love gay people anyway"

6. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

This one I was exposed to a lot, being a pretty devout Christian until around end of middle school. Such tolerance in Protestantism.
    [​IMG]

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Most people I've talked to can't quite wrap their heads entirely around the trans thing. They're supportive overall, but...

Well, one friend was telling me about how she saw a visibly trans individual a few weeks ago. And she didn't mean to say anything offensive. But what she said was something along the lines of "I saw a trans, like, she was obviously going through hormones because she had boobs but also a beard, and it wasn't weird to see her and I just thought wow, I wouldn't know much about trans people if I never became friends with you".

Um...thanks, I think?

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well...

I was playing Final Fantasy 14, and one of my friends changed his character to a female. I'm like you're a chick?

"Yea, I'm transgender ha ha"

I'm like... you have NO IDEA.

9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

"haha hey i went through that phase too!"
    hahahey cool except it...... isnt a phase for me......

also fetishizing is not supportive, i would really rather u just think im going to hell silently and mutter about the gay agenda at night tbh

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

"I have no problem with gay people, everyone has their own 'lifestyle'."

-It's not a lifestyle.

Similarly: "I don't condemn people for their choices."

11. Ryujin

"www.godhatesfags.com"

My friend has a horrible sense of humour.

12. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

"Hate the sin, not the sinner"

Also came across this gem on Tumblr a while ago:
    "Really? I think we should support homosexuality and support heterosexuality. Wanna love girls? That's fun. Wanna love boys? Cool bro me too. Wanna love animals? Aright. Wanna love a lamppost? Go for it dude. But seriously. Attacking other sexualities: not okay. No matter what sexuality that may be."

13. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The day after I told my mom that I wasn't straight she told me "I don't dislike gays or anything, its just hard for me to understand being attracted to the same sex. I mean I could kiss my friends and I wouldn't feel anything, its just like if I was kissing her!" as she pointed to our dog.

I understood what she meant but I felt as if homosexuality was being likened to bestiality. I can deal with ignorance that isn't hateful. Luckily my parents are just uneducated on the matter but willing to learn.

14. cibi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

yeah just tell them when they do it.
    like when i think that a girl is cute and make a comment about it
    my friends are like "how would you know ? "
    as if i wer blind or something
    like duh i can still consider a girl to be good looking wether im gay or not...

15. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Here's another one I've heard:

"Gay guys are so cute!!!"

I can't hate it, but it does sound a little patronizing sometimes. Like some straight girls want a gay guy for a pet.

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I always used to have female characters in games. If they weren't female I dressed them up in all pink. In hindsight I'm not sure why I didn't realize I was trans* After I did everything made sense.

Well as far as things people have said, my Grandma once asked "What I don't get is how it's possible to be bisexual, aren't you either straight or gay?" I'm not going to even bother explaining to her that I'm actually pansexual, but don't like either label much.

#16 Wuggums47, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I don't care if your gay or straight it's your decision and we will accept you no matter what.

That's ok but you don't act gay so I'm surprised.

18. the haunted

One of my biggest pet peeves is when straight girls are all like, "OMG, I love gay guys!" as if they're all the same...

:dry:

19. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Btw, there are multiple videos on YT about this:
    [YOUTUBE]KmcGV5ynTMs[/YOUTUBE]

And parodies:
    [YOUTUBE]0x805d-nwQI[/YOUTUBE]

20. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah, that's pretty annoying.

On Survivor, Corinne Kaplan kept saying "I'm friends with a gay!" and "I got my gay!" Blech. Made me want to throw up.

#20 MintberryCrunch, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014