1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your not black if you act this way.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Aug 31, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I realized that some black people don't accept me the way I am because they think I don't act black and I should act a a certain way and I should know all the hand shakes and fancy slang . So when I encountered other black people , I always find myself always having to change the way I normally talk to fit in and when I don't know the hand shakes or don't listen to rap and I like rock , other black people look at me like I committed a crime . It's like how dear you be black and not know this ?
    Any other black person experience this and felt like they had to fake or act a certain way to fit in with other black people ?.
    I have even experienced strange look from white people that told me you don't act black , you don't like all the rap song how can you be black and hate R&B .
    I have even been told by one of my guy friends that white that i upset him so much because as a black girl , he can understand everything I say and I don't start fights like other black women and I'm too peaceful .
    I feel like i'm on the outside looking in .

Anyone ever experience that because you act a certain way you don't fit in with your race .:confused:

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not black but everyone expects me to be the smart Asian and to always get straight As, and wear glasses and speak with a stereotypical Asian accent and eat Chinese food all the time. One friend has said racist things towards me, she's young and immature but that doesn't change that she's racist. People have called her racist before and she doesn't deny it. There's also some other Asians in the class besides me. They're not as smart as me, they lack motivation and they get teased about it.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow that is messed up and racist . I remember there was an Asian boy in my class and he didn't know how to do a math problem and a white guy turned and said your Asian your suppose to be knowing this .

4. Bolin

I know how you feel. I was picked on at school (and am still picked on by my own family) because I'm (usually) not stereotypically "Black-acting." I listen to classical music very frequently, I'm really nerdy, I (usually) speak using correct grammar and pronunciation. It honestly doesn't bother me near as much as not fitting in with other groups of people, but it's still rather annoying and definitely contributes to my feeling of not fitting in anywhere at all.

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I seriously do not understand how people who make these accusations think.
    It's just so, silly and petty.

6. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Just proves that even "positive" stereotypes are harmful...

7. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

The only comment I had was.. "You don't celebrate Christmas.. Your Chinese"

I didn't even know what to say.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "Protect your dogs"

They have stereotypes for everything : Race, gender, social class... No doubt people is so bored, they know it all...

They expect me to act over-emotional and to gesticulate a lot with my hands at work... When I explain something to them they look like "Oh, she had a brain... How can this be?"

They are also pretty shocked when I tell them I don't eat meat... Coming from a country of bull-fighters (!)

9. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I remember at school, black kids who didn't like rap and act "ghetto" were called "whitewashed". The whole thing is ridiculous.

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh yeah , in my school they would call us sell outs or that we wanted to be white and they would tell me I'm going to be teaching you how to act black because I can't believe your black and not acting ghetto .

11. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sadly thier is a lot of ignorant and uneducated people in the world, and people that believe in that bullshit tend fit in one of those catergories. The idea that you have to act a certain way to be black or that you is not black enough, is a rascist ideology in itself. I hope I can give anyone that spout that rascist, ignorant, garbage, a serious lesson.

This reminds me of how many people believe in the conspiracy that homosexuality in black men is a result of brainwashing done to esmasculate black men, and to control the black population. Gayness is castration and do not naturally occur in black people.

My high school art teacher would show us a documentary that implied this, I researched the people that made the documentary and found their website and some youtube videos, apparently they support ant-gay legislation, supported the anti gay bill, their website is extremely homophobic and sexist, their anti feminist, and want gay people to die. They also say the world promosexual alot and any black person that is gay or support homosexualty, are whitewashed, work for the enemy and is out against black people. My art teacher also implied that gay men are male but cannot be consdered real men. :bang: yeah, none of this have anything to do with why I went in denial :dry:.

#11 CandyKing, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People act surprised when they learn I don't speak fluent Spanish.

Or was born here, along with both parents and two grandparents.

And don't get me started on my less than stereotypical hobbies.

13. C P

C P

I know how you feel, although it isn't as much about how I act but what I kinda stayed away from. The street I grew up on basically was the stereotypical 'hood'(or they self proclaimed it as such) and back then I was a bit more the quiet, stay to myself usually type.

I ended going to a private school in 4th grade(almost an invitation you can say) and of course like 98% of the school was white. The people on my street always talked about everyone(including themselves) so this only gave them a reason to start saying really stupid stuff about me. Now they had a reason to talk about my quietness and blamed it on the fact that I went to that school. I used to always get things said like 'oh, so you think you too good now to speak/you think you white now, huh?'(what the hell was that even supposed to mean? I was the same as before). Even my family used that same argument anytime there was a disagreement or whatever involving me. It was all annoying as hell.

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

What the hell kind of backwards school did you go to. That's disgusting, your teacher was the one brainwashing people. In my personal opinion it's racist to tell other people they aren't black enough. Black people can like whatever they like and act however they want to act. There's no such thing as not black enough, because there is only one thing in the world that makes a person a specific race, and that's their genes. My dad is Jewish, but that doesn't mean I have to wake up every morning and eat my bagels while I prepare to go out and work at my law firm.

15. Candace

That's strange. I always get asked if I'm good at math and science since I wear glasses. I'm like "that's quite the contrary!" :lol:. Don't let people get to you. You know what you are and that's all that matters.

16. Fruit Topping

I am black, in technical terms. Half white, Half black. I kinda have the same problem too. When I got the chance to ask why they were so homophobic about it and most of them said they didn't want to catch it. :bang:

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's fine. Let the haters hate. Bill Cosby got told the same thing and look where he is. (&&&) One of my old co-workers got the same thing too when she married a white man. "How dare you listen to alternative and marry a white man!" You are your own person, so do what you want and be who you are. So I am bi and prefer guys, do I have to sing in a musical, watch Glee, and wear a tutu to convince you? Screw stereotypes. :slight_smile:

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Your totally right

19. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Wow that's the stupidest thing I ever heard. Pay no attention to those people.

20. confuseduser99

MY LIFE! I'm really mixed, but both my parents come from Trinidad (a carribean nation). People expect me to either act "black" or "brown" (Indian). I act like neither. People say that I'm "whitewashed", including many in my family (cousins, aunts, etc.). It's so annoying. I'm just being myself. Why do people expect me to act a certain way because of the color of my skin/my ethnicity?