1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is joining the Navy a bad idea if you are gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by topgear109, Sep 1, 2014.

1. topgear109

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been thinking about joining the Navy for a while but my bf is saying it's a bad idea since I am gay. Any opinions appreciated.

2. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all. If you want to do it go for it!

Have you read Out in the Army by James Wharton? Worth a read. There's a bit about the first military gay pride march through London where James meets other LGBT people including lads and lasses from the Royal Navy.

3. Holly82

Joining any branch of the military is a bad idea, gay or straight. Can you think of a better way to spend your life?

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why does he think it's a bad idea? The Royal Navy actively try to recruit gay people now.

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think your orientation should be a deciding factor in this.

6. Agreed. If that's what you want to do, go for it. :slight_smile: I have a lesbian friend who wants to join the Marines or the Navy, and I know she doesn't care about her orientation lol.

7. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

No, its a good idea. I was so close to joining at one point and im kind of still considering it. I passed everything until I got to the interview and realised I wasnt ready. During the process that I took part in they made it clear that any forms of dscrimination will be punished badly. Its probably the best military branch to be in for equality in the UK.

You can always go in and speak to them, they will give you a good in sight into the service. Obviously there is a lot of banter in the military but you can find that anywhere and its friendly banter. Its worth looking into.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is a different discussion entirely, but over in the US, they take VERY good care of their servicepeople in all branches and political issues aside, it is a noble path to take.

Much more goes into the decision you're talking about than orientation, as others have said. I'd be more focused on what kind of job you want to do and if it's a life you want to have.

9. DMark69

As someone who served 12 years in the US Army before and during DADT, I would say don't let your orientation be the deciding factor. Yes, while I was in being gay was forbidden, but they took Equal Opportunity seriously, and have channels to fix problems like that even if your command were the problem. I can only imagine that the EO programs expanded to cover Gay service members after DADT ended.

I can tell you that you will likely meet life long friends who don't care if you are gay or not, and it will be a good experience if you make it one.

For the record I am in touch with many people I served with, I am out to them all, and they are just as good friends now as when I was serving.

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess if you like being bossed around. Me, I always have hated being bossed and ordered around, so I've found stuff to do where I work at my own pace, without having people shout orders. I'd never be able to be yelled at by some loud-mouthed Sargent or other higher ups, and all that, but if that's your bag, I don't think being gay would change it.

But maybe your partner is afraid you'll be killed in a war...and that is a very distinct possibility, given all the current conflicts we have raging in the world: Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Russia, The Ukraine, Israel, Gaza...

Maybe your boyfriend just doesn't want you to die.

A very valid concern, because you might, and young.

#10 HuskyPup, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  11. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My bi boyfriend was in the navy, and he says it was one of the best experiences in his life. If you want to join the navy, go for it!

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have several gay friends who are in the Navy (and several others in other branches.)

For the most part, the armed forces have done a really good job of integrating the full acceptance policy. At least based on their experience, people are pretty accepting. You run into the occasional career officer who's a bigoted stick-in-the-mud, but my understanding is that it's come from the very top that all gay servicemembers are to be treated with the same respect and privileges as anyone else.

There are reasons not to go into the armed forced that have nothing to do with being gay... but if it's something that appeals to you, it can be a very rewarding experience.

13. DMark69

There are reasons not to go into any job. The most dangerous job in the United States is night time convenience store clerk, not soldier. I wouldn't want to be a politician either, way more stress than soldier. As for the movies showing a Sergeant yelling at people that is basic training and is over in 2 months. Once you go to a real unit it is just a job, you only get yelled at if you really screw up.

Name any job and there are reasons not to do it. The military is a way to see the world while getting paid to do it, the benefits are great, the pay is not bad. I wouldn't trade my 12 years service for anything.

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Have the village people taught you nothing?

[YOUTUBE]InBXu-iY7cw[/YOUTUBE]

15. edgy

edgy Guest

Is it the Navy's business to know your orientation?

16. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is the best thing I've heard all day! True DAT yo!

17. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Imagine getting stuck on a big ship with 3000 other horny men, and it is officially OK to be gay. They make movies about this kind of stuff. :eusa_danc

Just kidding, but if you want to serve your country, don't let being gay stop you. Every gay man that shows other straight men that they can hold their own helps acceptance of us in the general population.

18. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be a problem.

19. kem

kem

It's a bad idea, but not because you're gay. I'm biased though, so go with what you feel like's right.

20. Blossom85

I think that you shouldn't base decisions like that on your sexuality.. If you want to join the Navy and it feels right for you.. Then go for it.. Take your sexuality out of the equation. Your boyfriend could just be worried about you joining the navy in general and he is using that as a reason as to why you shouldn't, but you shouldn't base any decision on something like your sexuality.