1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apply for FULL membership?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Carlgustav, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am on the threshold of eligibility to apply for full membership, subject of course to review and approval. I have a few questions:
    1) If you are a full member, are you glad you are?
    2) If you are not a full member, but eligible,
    a) Have you applied and been rejected? or
    b) You haven't bothered to apply-why not?
    3) What percentage of applicants are accepted (Staff?)?

2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure whether I would be eligible. I haven't really looked into it--nor into what I would get if I were. So I suppose I have nothing to contribute but will be anxiously awaiting others' responses. Perhaps I've been missing out on something amazing without realizing...

3. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Eligibility to apply is, apparently 50+ posts and 2 weeks of tenure. Then they decide if your posts are well rounded, I guess. I am also anxious to hear others' feelings/experiences.

4. LD579

As long as you follow the code of conduct and have appropriate behaviour on the site, you will probably be accepted as a full member, provided you fulfill the prerequisites. You gain access to posting photo comments, entering the chat room, and private messaging other members. I can't really say any statistic for acceptance rates off the top of my head, but most are accepted if they fulfill the requirements. It's something you'd want to get if you want to message others more privately, or enter the chat room. Otherwise, it's not something you really need to bother with as the distinction between regular and full members is not very large in terms of site access.

5. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I love being a full member, we have access to the chatroom and private message system, and that's really nice. I was never rejected, but I had tons of posts when I applied. I think that you'll enjoy it, and I can't seem to remember you doing anything bad off the top of my head, so you'll probably be accepted. I've got to warn you that it might take a long time before you get a response. Don't make a thread about it like I did, because they will get back to you after a while.

6. RainbowMan

As Luthan said, I don't have statistics off the top of my head, but the vast majority are accepted unless there are specific concerns, and then you'll receive a PM stating what those concerns are.

If you've followed the Code of Conduct, and made substantive posts, then I don't think that there's anything to worry about. Additionally to the features that Luthan mentioned, you can also comment on blog entries as a full member. In reality, you're not missing out on much by not being a full member.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not a very exclusive club. What's the Groucho Marx line, "I wouldn't be a member of any club that would admit me as a member"? :slight_smile:

One of our admins did some data analysis some time ago and I think about 88% of applicants (if I remember the numbers correctly) in that period were approved.

I've never heard of anyone asking to be returned back to regular member. Basically, it's just the difference between being able to send PMs and access the chat room.

8. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I applied pretty early on and was granted full membership right away. I prefer having options, particularly being able to send a message on occasion without having it perpetually publicly posted...not everything I say (or want to hear) should be said to absolutely everyone.

9. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for all the responses. I guess I will apply when I get up some ambition. Or when I get 'a roun tewit '

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Overall, I can't say that it makes a huge difference being a Full Member vs. a Regular Member. But I do like having the PM rights. As stated above, there are times when one might wish to discuss something in private for whatever reason.

11. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get jealous when I see people I like in the chat on their status. I want in yo. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't want to be a full member due to how introverted I am. I like my privacy and thankfully this site has a policy of not exchanging contact info with people until you are a full member; for me it works perfectly since I don't have to deal with the pressure of having to exchange e-mails with people here.

It's too bad more sites don't enact this policy, but no I wouldn't want to be a full member if it compromises my privacy. The only downside is not being able to comment on blogs or pm but other than that I like my regular status.

13. Gen

Gen

For the record, personal information on this site is meant to be shared on a strictly voluntary basis. Offering personal information through PM to someone you wish to contact outside of the site is acceptable, but attempting to retrieve personal information from members who haven't expressed any desire to interact over site is actually a violation of conduct. Long story short, people can volunteer, but no one should be going around asking members for their personal information.

Fortunately, I have never know that type of scenario to be popular around these parts, so I wouldn't worry about it.

14. Candace

I personally like being a full member, but for all the reasons stated, you still have that choice as to whether or not you want to give out your personal contact information.

15. black-cat

Yes, I am a full member, and yes, I am glad that I am. :slight_smile: