1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you chat to random strangers when....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lexie, Sep 14, 2008.

1. lexie

waiting in line at the till?

im talking a full on convo, not a polite smile/nod if they look your way. well i dont. if someone actually does make a comment about something to me, and its normally old women who'll ask you something, normally i respond and thats it, i wont make small talk or try and further the convo. :slight_smile:

just before i had the strangest experience....so i was by the water stand, i look in the direction of the door and this girl is leaving, we make eye contact, and i look away and carry on looking for the iron bru for my very bad hangover, and then i get to the till, im just waiting for some lady to be served, then this girl id made eye contact earlier who'd left the shop was back in and buying somethng else, was behind me, and she just starts talking to me, like about the magazine i had, and having a full on convo with me, i was kinda one word replying but been polite but she carried on chatting, by the time id put my stuff in my bag, she'd been served so we walked out at the same time, and i was just about to politey say bye, and she carries on talking :eek: so i cant walk away. anyway we end up in a 15 min convo, before i could make a break for it, it was SO strange...:eek: that doesnt happen to me....

she was 18, and she was really pretty, and a total chatterbox, i think i probably could have made an excuse to end the convo outside earlier, but id decided she was sweet so i didnt, plus i got vibes off her but she mentioned a boyfriend nearer the end of the convo, so i think i was wrong, but anyway, she was super nice, and i had my phone in my hand and while she was chatting, i was thinking about maybe offering my number (to make friends with her) cause when id said, id better go, she was like 'im walking this way' and pointed, and i was like, yeah im walking this way (opposite direction), and she kinda looked at me, i guess then would have been a good time to give her my number but i feared it would be awkward if she said no so i didnt, plus i wasnt sure if it was too foward and presuming too much to give her my number when i dont know her. she was pretty chatty and friendly, so she probably talks to people in line a lot, but she was really nice, and now i kinda regret not getting her number so we could be friends. hm. i hope i see her again, cause i think id give her my number if i saw her again.

well it was a surreal experience anyways. does this happen to any of you lot? do you get into full on convo's with strangers in shops?

2. Gumtree

Sure, all the time.

Except im the one that does all the talking :/

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I do but usually only if the other person starts the conversation. However, only one person has ever followed me to the parking lot. I could tell he had mental health issues and strangely enough he showed up at PFLAG a couple months later saying he was gay. Then a couple months later, I saw him on TV applying for a local "American Idol" contest. It was really weird.

Maybe you will run into your new found friend again at the store and next time you can give her your phone number.

4. berileos

berileos Guest

People must take words from my mouth with pliers:rolleyes:but I think I could talk to someone if they started talking to me.I wouldn't give them my number though...:lol:

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If someone asks me a question or greets me, I'll certainly respond. I just don't usually start up conversations with strangers myself.

6. Ben

Ben

All of the time :slight_smile: But only if they look nice or up for a conversation.

7. Amy

Amy

a couple weeks i had a great one. at the farmers market waiting in line for snow-cones. it was the hottest day of summer...

girl: its so hot today.
    me: i know.
    girl: i dont even know why i bothered coming here today
    me: snow-cones?
    girl: haha. thats probably why most people are here
    me: probabaly... i actually had to play softball today
    girl: theyre making you play outdoor sprots in this heat?!
    me: yes. its cruel
    girl: you go to livermore?
    me: yea
    girl: who do you have?
    me: t*****
    girl: ouch...im sorry.
    me: you went there?
    girl: yup
    me: when did you graduate?
    girl: 2007
    me: oh, did you know andrea s******?
    girl: yes, i LOVE andrea! how do you know her?
    me: from church. she actually played my mom in a skit-thing once
    girl: really? thats so cool. how is she?
    me: pretty good. shes starting moody this year.
    girl: wow. thats so cool. i know that she really wanted to go there.

(we're at the begining of the line now, so the convo is over)

i swear to God, no one ever leaves this town.

8. davo-man

The same thing happens in Adelaide. I swear, Adelaide is the tiniest city ever! You cannot catch a bus, go to dinner, go clubbing or go shopping without running into people you know

For instance, in just one night, I saw people from my primary school, my highschool, people who taught at my highschool and my sister's best friend.

*sigh* Small cities/towns are so small

9. Amy

Amy

its not that livermore is a small town, its just that no one ever leaves.

at my old curch, one guys grandparents went to my high school, and his daughter graduated from there 5 years ago. the owner of the bbq place on east bought his childhood home, which is within walking distance of his buissnes. he doesnt walk to work, but he used to walk to dandy dogs when he was in high school.

i got an entire convo with a ballerina there once. she does valley dance theatre(the studio that does the nutcracker at the bankhead, and the one that i am restarting at), and i had just come from the bankhead for a science thing. it was awesome.

and now i want dandy dogs. its pretty sad when you go to that kind of place and see 3 people you know in the parking lot. dandy dogs is the shit. screw wienerschnitzel. wienerschnitzel is for pomgranites. :roflmao:

^ dont ask ^

10. JWAD

JWAD Guest

I talk to ppl when im waiting but useually by making some joke then letting them respond to c if they're up 4 talkin i useually look really friendly tho so most ppl do talk back lol

11. Trumpetplyer23

I love talking to random strangers.

I met a guy named 'Little' Joe one time. He was really cool. A bit racist, but other than that he's a cool guy.

Then, I met an older lady named Rose. She was really sweet. I liked her a lot.

12. Jeimuzu

I chatted to anyone this summer. Some crazy people. One old gay man in San Francisco who readily admitted he was stoned. A Barbadan in JFK airport who was seeing his nephews and nieces for the first time in around 30 years. Many more, too.

13. JayC

JayC Guest

I love talking to strangers i like being out going and meeting new people however it seems like i alwys meet the wrong kind of people its true that sayin Don't Judge a Book By IT's Cover

14. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When we were queuing for rides in theme parks in America, my mum always talked to the strangers. We were racking up how many united states we'd talked to. We had Florida, Kansas, Texas, New York and California, to name a few.....

15. jbb1236

I only talk to random strangers when I'm at work, it's really kind of fun, especially when they have accents that are different from my own, fun to find out where they are from. But standing in line at the store, not so much. Oh, I also chat up cashiers too, that's fun.