1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking about sexual orientation on official forms.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by blueberrykisses, Sep 2, 2014.

1. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I was doing the online registration thing with my university (UK) and basically they just ask your personal info, address, school stuff, then there was a question WHAT IS YOUR SEXUAL ORIENTATION. There was a 'prefered not to say' option but I replied lesbian. My heart skipped a beat when I saw that question because I have never seen anything like that on an official form. Im not from the UK and it would never be asked where I live. There was all this 'ensuring equality' blah blah stuff written with the question. At first I thought this is so inappropriate but then I thought, forms often ask ethnicity, religion so this is kinda like that, although those questions shouldnt be asked either..

It was also weird because Ive never told anyone Im gay (even though people know or suspect) and now I came out officially to a university which feels strange.

Have you guys encountered this question on forms and stuff?

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. It's known as Equal Opportunities.

#2 imnotreallysure, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  3. Hexagon

Yes, I've encountered it. As far as I'm concerned, they have no right to ask, and you have no obligation to answer truthfully.

4. Ryujin

It's useful for statistics and also for proving they don't discriminate but if you don't want to answer that's your choice.

5. Candace

That's why I'd always say "I choose not to answer".

6. Incognito10

Yes, I've seen it (annual job survey of employees that is confidential). I answer in the affirmative because it helps gather statistics which in terms allows the LGBT community to be represented. Personally, I want to be represented so whoever is seeking the information can know that diversity does exist. The only time I would not answer such a question is if I believed they were asking for some nefarious reason.

7. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    To those of you saying you tick 'prefer not to say', that was my initial reaction as well but then I put gay down because why wouldn't I? We should not be ashamed to answer a question like that. It's like asking your age or marital status. Or it should be like that...

Plus things like this are really important for statistics. Imagine if all the gays put 'prefer not to answer', are we going to make ourselves invisible now?

At the end of the day, it is in our interest.

8. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I chose prefer not to say last time I was asked .

9. wolf of fire

I had to put it on a collage application and gay and lesbian were two different options, why is my question why have them separate?

10. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've encountered it many times on forms recently, but there is never an obligation to answer. The purpose is to monitor diversity and equality within an organisation and it actually pleases me to see it. Personally, I think it's a positive thing, because until very recently most places didn't give a sod about LGBT monitoring or accommodation. Now they have to be more aware and accommodating due to the requirements of the Equality Act (UK).

11. C P

C P

I haven't seen this question before and I'm honestly glad I haven't.

Yes, progress is being made, but that still doesn't mean that this isn't a pretty personal matter for plenty of people, due to different reasons. If someone isn't ready to really answer a question like that, then they shouldn't feel pressured to be.

Edit: Apparently there isn't an obligation to answer the question? That's good.

#11 C P, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel like marking it as "choosing not to answer" would backfire on those who want to be stealthy. Because who that's straight would mark that? I feel like that's basically calling yourself queer because they can infer you're not comfortable with sharing. And a very high percentage of straights would be comfortable with sharing, and definitely would mark straight, I would think.

13. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what I thought so, too.

I've never had to select my orientation, but if I could, I would select bisexual.

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

With the exception of my passport and a tourism permit, I've never had to state my ethnicity for anything.
    I've never had to state my orientation for anything.
    Not for uni, not for anythin else.
    Bit weird imo. Sounds a bit like PR selection, ie better make sure we have some queer people so we look progressive/accepting.

If asked I would state my orientation, or whatever comes closest to it but I can think a very few instances were that would be at all relevant.

15. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I have. When I started my job as a radiographer I filled out the equal opps form and put down that I was bisexual and an atheist.

To be honest, I never gave it a second thought. It's not like I have anything shameful to hide and no one put the recipient of the form will read it and no one is allowed to pass that info on either.

Happy days :slight_smile:

16. CoyoteCalling

Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently noticed that my online employee information record has spaces for both sexual orientation and gender identity (separate from the space for legally recognized sex). I don't believe I was asked for either when I first started with the company several years ago.

I admit I was a little taken aback when I first noticed it, and I left it blank. After reading some of the other comments here, I think I'll go back and fill it in.

17. Hexagon

And since when do they have a right to statistics at the expense of people's privacy? It isn't generally considered appropriate for me to walk up to people on the street and ask who they like to sleep with.

And anyway, knowledge of someone's sexuality is a prerequisite for discrimination. This only makes it easier.

Why should our sexuality be on some organisation's permanent record?

---------- Post added 3rd Sep 2014 at 12:37 AM ----------

No, it really isn't in our interest.

18. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cultural differences. If I am not mistaken, last year in my country, they started asking for sexual orientation on college forms. I think colleges don't mean anything negative by it unless it is an religious school. They want to help make you feel represented and safe. Some people, myself included, don't really think that it is a good idea… What if the applicant isn't out to their family, and they include their LGBT status on the form only for it to get intercepted by a family member? Some family members do like looking at what the applicant has written. O_O

If I found that on an college application, I don't think that I would specify. I honestly much rather prefer to physically join the college's LGBT group than to have that categorized on paper. Oh, shit. They'd still get me with the gender aspect.

19. AAASAS

Always answer gay when asked, don't even think about it. It's like being asked if you are male or female. Nothing to get offended by, it's for statistical reasons that they ask. Nothing malicious about it.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, when I applied as an undergraduate to the University of Victoria. The question may have changed, but the way it was worded as the time was "Are you a member of a visible minority, such as a racial, sexual or gender minority?" I answered yes, because I identified as a bisexual cismale at the time.