1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watched the news and a bit freaked now

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akira12, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I watched the news for ice even though I hate watching it since it's so depressing. Saw the one of the journalists being beheaded and then a friend of mine said the us is going told own the drain and that I should move or were all going to be dead or something in the next 10 or so years. Is this true or am I safe for now? We're should I move to? I am so freaked out right now and paranoid >_> any answers would be appreciated!

2. Hexagon

Try another planet.

Where are you? If you're in the west, while violent deaths do happen, it isn't terribly likely that you'll be the victim of one. That's true for many 'non-western' places as well. If you're in a warzone, then you may be in a little more danger.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're all going to be dead. Who's going to kill us? Our armed forces (and obnoxiously high defense spending) collectively make us the baddest motherfuckers on the planet. Not invincible by any means or even the most elite, but we are powerful enough to be an unrealistic target for even the strongest foreign militaries.

If the US falls, it will be from within. But that probably won't happen soon.

4. PICollins91

They can't invade, not a heck of a lot of missiles can reach U.S. shores and if they tried to even so much as set off a cherry bomb in a major U.S. city toilet block then the President will unleash hell and high water on them. The only way this entire country is going to die is if McDonalds starts giving out free unlimited burgers to the entire population, then it won't be terrorism we have to worry about but heart failure.

5. AlexTheGrey

There's also the mentality that things are constantly getting worse. The reality is that it really doesn't. At least not on larger timescales. But we haven't had a draft in almost 50 years. We haven't had war on the U.S. mainland for 150. But it can happen.

The Middle East has been somewhat unstable for quite a while, and meddling by the West is a factor there in the last couple of centuries. Creation of Isreal, "colonizing" of Iraq, and more. The British and the French seemed happy to do this all over Africa and the Middle East, and the area is still trying to find equilibrium from it, especially after they just up and pulled out in the middle of the last century.

But, as long as we keep wanting to participate in the region directly while it is in a state of strife, the risks will exist. And acts like what ISIS did are primarily to instill fear, and recruit. There is no reason for us to fall for that tactic, but the media keeps helping them unwittingly in the pursuit of ratings (fear sells). It is one of the reasons I groan at the TSA. It is basically security theatre that inconveniences us, for near-zero benefit, driven by the idea of fear. The best thing we can do, in my mind, is show that terror attacks on US soil and citizens will not get them what they want, which is a fear-based reaction.

6. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure why you take that seriously, Akira? Do you have a reason to feel worried?

7. AAASAS

Ha, you tune into the news for one day and freak out. Today isn't even a bad news day.

You are fine where you are, this type of shit has been going on for decades and centuries, and millennia.

Humans are fucked.

I'd be more worried about the study that was just released today, that says the Polar Vortex north america has been experiencing is from global warming and is most likely going to continue to happen.

An unstable climate and environment can destroy society as we know it. I'd be more worried about that.

8. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Worry about the Republicans; you are in more danger from them and their political policies than some bearded camel jockey with a Chinese rifle and a 14 year-old Toyota pickup truck.

9. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for that and sorry for all my paranoia lol I guess I tend to panic easily and having someone make the small panic into a bigger one doesn't help....so thank you all for answering this panic driven post. Kinda feel a bit stupid for asking something lien that so sorry for a obvious stupid question lol. Hope u all have a fantastic week!

10. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest