1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Teachers Be Armed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zannan, Sep 4, 2014.

?

Should Teachers be armed?

1. No

86.8%
  2. Yes

5.7%
  3. Other

7.5%
  1. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Should teachers be armed?
    I say no because some teachers aren't good with students or may be having a bad day and threaten students with a gun. Or if they're really angry, shoot the student.
    I don't think teachers should be armed.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What an appalling suggestion. I can't belive that there are genuinely people who believe that teachers should carry weapons into the classroom. I sincerely hope nobody votes "yes."

3. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Gosh no...

Teachers shouldn't be armed, neither should students and neither should anyone else for that matter.

The gun laws in the U.S are completely illogical.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell no. The idea of "more guns will stop gun violence" is like saying that the only way to break a crack addiction is to snort even more crack.

5. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

FUCK no, I've already had some incredibly unstable teachers.... and peers! Imagine if a student wanted to just take the gun, or god forbid the teacher left it around somewhere and a younger child or a disgruntled student found it. Holy SHIT what an awful idea.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted other. It would be pretty stupid to have state-funded weapons qualification for teachers. However, I would support the right of teachers who personally invest in a concealed-carry permit to carry in school if they choose to. Because if we have another Newtown scenario, the shooter has almost absolute power to kill people before the cops get there. But facing armed resistance, you wouldn't see twenty dead. I won't get too into the "guns good or bad" argument except to say that it isn't like Gaytheist's crack comparison. The additional guns are to be used against the people who will have them either way unless you un-invent them from the earth.

Does it open up the possibility of abuse? Yeah, but an adult does not need a gun to threaten a kid in most cases, and teachers already go through extensive background checks to teach anyway. An instance of brandishing a gun when there's no need to is remote.

^^In response to the others who say "What if a kid got it?" Part of concealed-carry training is gun retention. You don't leave it lying around (or even visible if at all possible), nor do you allow others to get it without a drag-out fight.

#7 Argentwing, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Honestly that idea seems disgusting to me. More weapons doesn't cause less violence. Besides, the school budgets are already so low, unless we're giving them more money we shouldn't be forcing them to buy expensive weapons.

8. Holly82

The reason there is such violence at schools is because they are already deemed "gun free". Any individual who wants to carry a gun should be free to do so. State schools shouldn't even exist in the first place. So to say there should be a mandate that state school teachers should be armed doesn't make any sense. If you want to protect you child's body and mind, don't send them to a state school. Private school or home school (not just for religious crazies anymore!).

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At which point did you forsake your sanity?

10. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I voted other because I don't think that guns are something a teacher should have, needs to have, would want to have or could be trusted to actually use if something were to happen. I do think that there should be one or two officers walking the halls of the schools in preperation for anything that may happen. The high school I went to has that now (due to excesive amounts of bomb threats and fights) and they rotate out the officers so that no one is stuck there year round. - My college has "peace officers" and cops that drive through the campus at certain times.

11. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We have to wait until the martial law and the declaration of an absolute monarch before we arm our ward- teachers.

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My country seriously scares me. It's unbelievable to me how many Americans seem to think that arming teachers would be helpful/desirable...as opposed to terrifying and dangerous.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Armed teachers aren't going to stop school shootings.

14. Ridiculous

What sort of cartoon country do you live in for this question to even be on the agenda, holy shit. Of course they shouldn't.

15. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I imagine this ending with teachers shooting their students. I mean do you realize what a stressful life they lead? How much of their stressful life could be blamed on their students?

16. ouji

ouji Guest

Definitely no. Arming teachers would be a very bad idea. I could see that ending badly. I honestly don't understand how some people would think that would be a good idea.

17. RainbowMan

Someone voted yes? Really?

I'm not sure what fantasy world you're living in where this is even a question worthy of debate. Of course teachers shouldn't be armed. My views towards gun control are somewhat liberal, but not THAT liberal.

18. photoguy93

I love how we have to talk about this, yet we seem to ignore, you know, teaching kids and how crappy it is here.

19. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Hell no. I don't like the idea of school shootings either but the idea of a teacher packing a gun over a group of unruly kids day in and day out scares the crap out of me. I have seen way to many teachers snap from burnout and throw temper tantrums to like that idea. So much could go wrong.