1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever felt "objectified"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MintberryCrunch, Sep 5, 2014.

1. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a very open-ended question. Different people have different definitions of what it means to be "objectified".

Have you ever experienced objectification? What is your definition of objectification?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After being dumped for refusing to have sex with my first boyfriend, a little. But I consider that a relatively minor example.

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HEHE plenty of times. i worked in a recording studio one time, and i was helping out this "well known" electronica producer at the time. long story short, we became buddies until the session came in. he then short of bossed me around when his friends were there and start going a bit crazy. it's short of what recording engineers experience sometimes, most of the time you meet human beings, others completely disgusting individuals. another one is when i was having a conversation with a female and she told me that i was suppose to have muscles if i wanted to "feel good" and have others approach me more often.
    if you consider those objectifications that is

4. KayJay

Feeling objectified was basically my whole experience while attempting online dating.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. I'd like to experience it sometime, just to know what it's like so I understand exactly why it's fucked up.

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup. I've told this story here before (even in realtime). A few months back, on the day before I had to go out and finish production on a short film, a guy noticed my rainbow mickey pin and got my name from my school ID (which hung on my lanyard, which was on my neck). He ended up trying to hook up with me, despite me telling him on multiple occasions that I was taken, and in a pretty good relationship. He asked for pics, upon which I'd repeatedly said "no" to. It didn't end until I blocked him.

This, and the way I was academically dismissed and denied readmission to said school were both definite ways I've been objectified. I wouldn't be surprised if I've been objectified even more, since I can be quite clueless.

7. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, though it's to a very small degree. When I have to work with a group in school, and I get kids who are lazy and unmotivated, they used to say, "Ah, we have _____ (Tai), she can do all the work for us." And they would sit back and chat and mess around as I did the work. So I kind of felt like I was being used and that I was a tool for them to be lazy. But I couldn't just sit back either, or we'd all fail the assignment.

8. black-cat

Being catcalled (I think that is the term?) on the street, or having very vulgar and sexual responses to innocent comments/actions.

When I was kicked out of a hospital school for being too ill. (I am not kidding. Literally.) I felt like a box or a "waste of money" rather than a sick kid who was trying their best.

9. Ryujin

Every physics or chemistry lesson last year. I felt like the teacher thought we were dumb fucks who were only there so he could get paid and he only taught us the bare minimum.

10. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Nope, I'm too fat.

11. cuppycake

Yeah. You find yourself a nice friend and you talk to her in school and you go on walks with her and you have fun and everything, and she's really cool and you think you're her sister from another mister and everything's fine and pink.

Then you both get to stay in a room for three days (in a hotel), and she shows her true colors - she starts ordering you around, she uses you, she gets mad when you don't do anything her way, and when you help her (I practically nursed that bitch to health, even though the pills I brought were for MY cold and not hers), she doesn't even say thank you. As if she's too damn important and I'm just a peasant. Bitch, I didn't help you so you can kiss my feet, BUT A SIMPLE 'THANKS' WOULD'VE SUFFICED.

So, yeah, from a best friend I was turned into some sort of a minion in the blink of an eye. Or at least it felt that way, because we've been 'friends' since kindergarten and I thought she valued me as a human being, not as a heartless slave.

And another person (who is not my friend anymore, just like that last one) ordered me around for a couple of years before I realized that she's fucking insane. She kept making me do stuff I didn't want to - look this way, act that way, do this and that, like it would MAKE ME A BETTER PERSON, and at the same time she's saying that BEING MYSELF is good enough. BITCH, DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHO I AM, BECAUSE WHAT YOU WERE MAKING ME DO WASN'T SOMETHING I WOULD NORMALLY DO. IT'S NOT ME. And she kept insisting, quite arrogantly, that she knew me better than I know myself.

Needless to say, I don't speak to both of them unless absolutely necessary. I'm not an object of their fucking fantasies, I am who I am. They have no fucking right to change me and then act all innocent when I get mad at them for it.

God ... sorry for the rant, I just remembered those things when I saw the topic.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This one girl who told me let's be friends ,because I wanted a relationship . She was all over me the whole night saying how beautiful she thought I was, and even saying some sexual things about how she wanted to screw me.She was only after me for sex.:icon_sad:

13. Dakeli27

In school a lot. People usually see me as someone to try to get a rise out of, or someone to make uncomfortable for laughs. They dae each other to talk to me, try to take selfish with me, etc.

14. Ryujin

Whenever someone uses me as the object in a sentence.

Linguistics joke.
    Sorry.

15. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's cool. Linguistics happens to my primary field of study :slight_smile:

16. Ryujin

For a lot of these threads I don't know if I can make jokes or not.

I often feel objectified when someone puts [hiragana (w)o)] after my name.

#16 Ryujin, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014