1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Language, What Would It Be?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alex94, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

My Anthropology class was covering the topic of linguistics the other day... In short we learned that there was once over 12,000 languages spoken in the world and now there are approximately 6,000 languages spoken world wide with an average of one language dying out every two weeks. This got me wondering if there was ever going to be a universal language (very very distant future) and if so what language it would be...

- What do you all think, will there one day be a universal language? If so what language would it be?
    • I personally think it could happen (although we wouldn't be here to see it) and if that is the case I believe the language would be either Spanish or Chinese.

2. shinji

shinji Guest

Isn't English like already something like that?! I mean, so many stuff are in english so it's kind of expected of people to know it. It's my fourth language and yet i've never really studied it, now at times i feel it's easier for me to explain stuff in english than it is to do it in my own language.

3. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    English is one of the easiest languages to learn, it makes a good universal language.

4. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

English is definitely in the top ten languages spoken but I don't think people are expected to learn it as much as they were say 20-30 years ago... I could be wrong though.

5. Thedistra

Why elvish of course...

I would assume one that is simple yet already well known population wise. My knowledge of languages is slim, so I'll leave it at that.

Though you did say universal, so who knows maybe it'll be some alien language.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    English or Mandarin, I believe. However, there are some languages I feel would have a hard time dying out... The rapid decrease of languages spoken are probably the "lesser-known" ones that branch off of the main stem languages. Once we get down to the main ones, I doubt there will be a dominant one, at least for a while.

7. Ryujin

I really hope we don't come to a point where we have a single dominant language, that would take out all the fun of learning and speaking languages.

I agree with Tai though, It's most likely to be English or Mandarin but I'm leaning towards English due to a simpler character system.

#7 Ryujin, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  8. black-cat

I agree with GoldenArrow, probably English as so many people deem it to be more.... welcoming due to the characters.

9. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Currently, it's English, but it's one of the worst to have, as it's a "double whammy": Not only can you not tell how to spell a word from hearing it spoken; you can’t even be sure how a word is spoken from the written word.

If English changes its spelling, it deserves to be the universal language, as its grammar and punctuation are very easy.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By the time all other languages would die out (if such an event would ever occur), none of the present languages would be in their current forms.

But you've also got to think that some of these languages are spreading further apart; some languages will evolve differently and become separate, like the split between Vulgar Latin and its descendents, which were essentially Creole languages.

Though with the massive increase in global communication, that might be different. It's far too speculative for me to think that anything in particular will happen. At any rate, I doubt that English today will be the same as English in five hundred years, and in a thousand it might be a completely different language or language family.

11. ThePrideInside4

Sign Language. I'm a little fluent in it, and I love teaching it to others. I personally wish that everyone knew the language, so hearing people can talk to deaf people better. And so that deaf people can understand what hearing people are saying without reading their lips.
    Also I think everyone should learn Braille, for blind people.

12. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, i agree that it would probably be English. so many things are in English already, and as goldenarrow said, the characters are simpler than mandarin. But, as goldenarrow also said, that would take the fun out of learning them cause y would u learn them with the knowledge that you would never use them, and it would take out all the diversity of people speaking different languages. sometimes its fun to listen to people speak something you cant understand (as long as ur not rude about it, or they know that you dont speak that language)

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Even if it was English, what area? English has so much slang and dialects, it's kind of a mess, to be totally honest.

14. Dakeli27

BWAHAHAHAHA! English, easy to learn? I've had to help my relatives learn English, and they were totally befuddled by the arbitrary grammar. English is kind of easy to be able to speak well enough to sort of get by. But to actually be able to speak it like a native is very hard. I so think English will be the universal language, however, as so many people speak it.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's pretty amazing how much English has evolved in the last five hundred years, compared to say, Greek, which is pretty conservative in comparison. It's possible for English to branch off, but with the internet and the world getting smaller, I see the many dialects coming closer, with smaller ones dying off, or becoming more like the larger ones.

If the West continues to dominate, which it probably will, I think it's safe to say another Indo-European - personally, I'd like to think it would be something like Esperanto, but hey! Mandarin Chinese and Spanish might have the numbers, but the sheer influence and unique place English has in global communications makes me sure it will stay as number one for quite some time.

I see many universal languages, whether they be more than one used at once, and/or a shift from time-to-time.

16. Ryujin

Of course we could just all start speaking Esperanto. We might then be able to create the Jupiter Mining Corporation and flood Fuji.

17. AAASAS

I'd say English because it already is basically the most universal:

- it's the most widely spoken around the world, it may not have the highest number of speakers but general knowledge of it already is present in basically almost every country.

- it's one of the most expressive and direct languages. It is used with international governmental groups because it is one of the most specific languages and is hard to be misinterpreted.

- it already is the most mixed language on Earth, the English Empire brought many words from other languages into it, more so than basically any other language on Earth. It's a heavy mix of Anglo-Saxon, German, French, Latin and Greek words. It also includes words from around the world like Native-American,Native Australian, Indian, African....etc.

- though I can't find anything to prove it English generally is considered to have the most individual words; words with different meanings.

18. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is that so? I've never heard of that. Do you have any source to back it up? I'm willing to read about that. :icon_bigg

In fact, this global communication doesn't establish a more uniformal English, currently. There are many changes happening right now! Like the cot-caught merger (some speakers have the same pronunciation for this vowel, but others make a distinction), the bad-lad split (some speakers lengthen bad, causing the two words not to rhyme), and there are many other things happening right now.

You are right, languages evolve, words appear and others become archaic.

19. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's already a universal language, sort of.

If you wave, it means hello or goodbye.
    If you smile, it conveys positive emotions.
    If you frown, it conveys negative emotions.
    If you laugh, it usually means you're happy or amused.
    If you scream, it usually means you're upset or in trouble.

20. Skyline

I think a universe spoken and written language might be a combination of several languages. English already borrows many works for other languages, and English speakers continue to use more foreign terms as the world becomes more interconnected.